Comments that made feel pity at last Sundays WT study

by drew sagan 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I believe it was paragraph 17, the one that spoke about the faithful slave and how there are those who wish to be "independent" and that this is wrong. Two comments came, both from elders. They are as follows:
    Elder 1: So what the paragraph is telling us is that instead of developing an independent spirit we actually want to be developing a spirit of dependece upon God's organization and the spiritual food they provide.
    after that I didn't think it could get worse, but it did
    Elder 2: So we realize that Jehovah has put this faithful slave in charge of ALL of his belongings. That means that we need to PUT FAITH into the faithful and discreet slave class. Only then can we stay in Jehovahs favor.
    I know both of these guys very well. The are very good people. When I heard them both give these comments I just couldn't help but feel pity for both of them, and how they had no clue as to what they where REALLY saying. Elder 1 is actually one of the most intelligent people I know, but it is so scary to hear someone say that humans need to develop a dependent spirit upon a man made religious structure.

• AuldSoul
  • Goldminer
    Goldminer

How do you put yourself through all that torture,I just couldn't do it anymore.

Goldminer

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Similar comments at our hall. I was taught we are supposed to rely on Jehovah - not men. I well know oh Jehovah to earthling man his ways do not belong --

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I was in a hospital waiting room recently. My father was having surgery. A “brother” from the hospital liaison committee (HLC) was there for my mother. Just by chance another “brother” happed to see this HLC guy reading his WT and decided to come over to introduce himself.

The two of them hit the ground running chatting and talking JW lingo. You know how JDubs do. Well this guy proceeds to tell a story about a “brother” that he knows and how he’s such a great guy and he does such and such and that he’s “ex-military” and that is a great background for a JDub because it teaches one to accept orders. They went on to comment about how accepting orders without question is such a good trait for JDubs to possess.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I still can’t believe it. Two grown men standing there talking about how great it is to be mindless. To accept what a stranger tells them as truth without question. Do they even realize what they were saying?

Your posts reminded me of this. It’s certainly mind boggling to me. Of course years ago this wouldn’t have stood out as abnormal to me at all.

• ferret
    ferret

WT GB

• Room 215
    Room 215

Drew, your comments about Elder 1's intelligence is fascinating. One would think that intelligent people would quickly figure it all out; but it's an intriguing experience to observe people like this subordinating their natural gifts to the authority of those so demonstrably less intelligent than they are.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Drew.. That part in Math. 24:46...about when the master arrives, he will appoint him over all his belongings....I believe hasn't happened yet...but will happen at the end of the great tribulation...........I know...THEY think it happened in 1914,,, ugh

• Honesty
    Honesty

A wasted mind is such a terrible thing.

• Spectre
    Spectre

When going down the list of cult characteristics, I thought that one of the ones where the JW's get a pass was on the one about putting all their faith in a man. And while its not a single man they look to, comments like that confirm what they are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit