The thought of meeting his whole family scares me - is that normal??

by Super_Becka 25 Replies latest social relationships

• Scully
    Scully

Yeah, it's normal to be anxious about meeting his whole family. Even without the JW stuff, it's normal to be anxious about it.

It sounds like his family is fairly liberal (considering the sleeping arrangements planned), because if there are any JWs there who are more than just "social" JWs, you can count on them making a stink about everything, from the fact that his family doesn't attend meetings regularly, or go door to door, or the fact that he's 29 and not baptized and having a relationship with you and sleeping with you without the benefit of marriage.

I can understand why you'd be extra anxious. Just remember that he is the one who is going against his belief system, and that's not your fault. I'm sure his extended family may not exactly see things that way though... so be prepared for some unkind remarks.

Maybe you could get to know a few of them ahead of time? Ask your boyfriend if the two of you could set up a Yahoo group or something like that and he could invite his relatives to join so you all could get to know each other better via email. Set it up so they can upload pictures and things so they seem more familiar when you do meet. It's worth a shot, right?

• greendawn
    greendawn

SB, how do they view the fact that their JW relative has a relationship with a non JW person? If I were you I would keep a low profile on religious issues.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Ooo, jgnat, you devil, I like the sound of some of those suggestions!!

Look at it this way; you can get away with a LOT of newbie goofs. If I were you, this is what I would go for, rather than attempt to fit in. Be prepared for the love-bombing; hug them and squeeze them right back. Paste a huge smile on your face, and give out firm handshakes all around. DON'T GIVE ANYONE YOUR PHONE NUMBER. Agree that the world is in a terrible state and then mention a college course you are taking, a book you just finished reading, or an adorable new purchase. And defer any book studies to an indefinite time in the future.

• Wear shorts. Leave all your skirts at home.
    • Swear once in a while (not the REAL baddies, just HECK, DRAT, stuff like that) cover your mouth and say, "Did I say that out loud?" and giggle.
    • Have a colored streak in your hair.
    • Contradict your boyfriend in public.
    • If you aren't sure if you are breaking a JW habit, ask. "Do JW's ....XXXX?" I wouldn't want to offend you kind folks. Then forget and do it anyways.
    • Wear flattering blouses and t's and flash your boyfriend when no-one is looking.

Chances are they will be working real hard to prove they are just like regular folk. You can switch them in and out of JW-mode by changing the subject matter. Stick to secular subjects and they will be as normal as you and me. Talk about the terrible state of our world, and POOF, watch them switch over to the Canned Presentation. This could be a good trial run what it's like rubbing shoulders with JW's every week.

Let's see:

- I don't even OWN a skirt, so not a problem.

- Hehehe, I swear a little more often than any proper lady should, so what the hell, slipping a few in should be no problem at all!!

- Hmm, shouldn't be a problem having some minor arguments with my boyfriend, we tend to disagree on minor things all the time and I never do what he tells me to.

- I'm sure I could come up with some nice snug shirts to wear, and while I tend to be rather conservative and private, he most certainly wouldn't be opposed to some things that I wouldn't normally do around family. Hey, he's never shied away from some rather passionate kisses in front of his family before.

Ooo, and college talk should be lots of fun. I'm a history major, I can talk about any world problem and relate it to any of the courses that I've taken, that'll be easy. I'm not sure how opposed to college that they are, after all, my boyfriend has a BSc. in Electronics, but it's worth a shot.

Heh heh heh, I come from a very lovey-dovey family, so I'm very good at being affectionate and reciprocating any love that they want to throw at me. I've hear the stories, I'm well-prepared to have them love-bomb me. The thing is, my family does that, too, but they're genuine about it, when they show you love and acceptance, they don't have any ulterior motives (it's a Newfoundland thing, we're all very loving people), so I'm quite good at hugging everyone and shaking everyone's hands and being perky and polite. They can love-bomb me all they want, it'll have no effect on me and I can toss it right back at them. I've been to plenty of family reunions with lots of relatives that I've never met before, I can show false love with the best of 'em.

Ya know, with some more tips like this, it might be an interesting experience. As long as I'm well-prepared and know what I'm going into, it could be a lot of fun. Usually, I'd try not to offend anyone and not to step on anyone's toes, but maybe I'll be a little less careful this time and see what I can learn, like an experiment.

If anyone else has some fun things to try, I'd love to hear it!!

-Becka :)

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    Just remember that he is the one who is going against his belief system, and that's not your fault. ; I'm sure his extended family may not exactly see things that way though... so be prepared for some unkind remarks.

True, I totally understand. He's the one that's "doing something wrong" here, not me, I don't have any qualms about dating someone of a different faith and nobody's gonna get angry with me for it, he's the one doing something that he "shouldn't be doing". I've even asked him why he isn't dating a JW, and he said that he didn't know any that he'd be interested in dating. As for his family and rude comments, they can say all the nasty things they want to about me and the fact that I'm not a JW, I have a thick skin.

SB, how do they view the fact that their JW relative has a relationship with a non JW person?

I don't know how his extended family sees our relationship, but his parents and siblings think it's great, they're very happy that he's finally dating someone. He's 28 years old and I'm his first girlfriend. And remember, his sister is married to a non-JW for the second time, I don't think it's a huge issue for his immediate family, anyway. I think they actually like me, his parents and siblings.

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

They're the only ones that count anyway. I'm sure that the fact the entire clan goes camping each year you'll have to hear about it if any of them are hard core dubs, but I'd think if they were, they wouldn't go camping with the more liberal ones. Maybe??

Just be yourself and have fun. Smile & nod your head if the conversation goes towards why you're not a JW or religion, and makes sure you keep the smile on your face. You'll get thru this without a scratch I'll gather. Don't forget you're there to have fun so if it gets too much, grab your man & take a walk...come back with twigs in your hair....

Have fun!

SK

• M.J.
    M.J.
    Hey, he's never shied away from some rather passionate kisses in front of his family before.

Yikes! I'm married and couldn't even approach doing anything like that in front of my parents!

I think you'll do fine!

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    Hey, he's never shied away from some rather passionate kisses in front of his family before.

Yikes! I'm married and couldn't even approach doing anything like that in front of my parents!

Heh, I hear ya, I prefer to avoid anything beyond just sitting next to him when there's family around, but apparently, he's not that bashful. I'm usually the one whispering urgently, "Hey, your parents are right there..." or "Umm, my mom's sitting right over there...", but he doesn't seem to mind. The only time he avoids being affectionate is when my dad's around, and that's just because my dad doesn't like him very well.

Maybe things will be OK after all.

• M.J.
    M.J.
    The only time he avoids being affectionate is when my dad's around, and that's just because my dad doesn't like him very well.

Listen, Beav, it's just common sense not to mess around in front of a girl's dad. He'd probably sock you one!

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    Listen, Beav, it's just common sense not to mess around in front of a girl's dad. He'd probably sock you one!

My dad has a standing threat to any and all guys that I bring home: "Hurt her and I'll kill you", and he means it. He likes to threaten my boyfriends with his shotgun. Keep in mind that he doesn't actually own a gun, he just likes them to think that he does.

My dad is harmless, he just completely despises any and all guys that I bring home.

• jojochan
    jojochan

The best adive I could ever give is to BE YOURSELF.Yeah it is kind of scary, like being a pilgrim in an unholy land,but as long as he is there with you, it will be o.k, I promise you that!

I know they would absolutly adore you. And you know that deep down inside. But when they start talking, and asking questions about religion and such, you should practice the art of the ninja arts.(dissapearing, lol!) Or mastering the art of looking busy.

Happy trails.

jojochan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit