JW's poor attitude to medical staff

by Clam 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Clam
    Clam

I left the Dubs a long time ago, so having been fully deprogrammed I can't always see stuff from the JW perspective.

At my father's funeral a couple of years ago my JW sister chose to give my wife a short sharp lecture about the wickedness of her profession. My wife is a midwife.

I found out about this a few weeks later and my wife told me to just forget it.

Also the other day one of the student midwives in our local hospital was confronted by the HLC while going for a break, and was told she was sinning by giving people blood. The girl was pretty upset by the experience of being confronted by 4 suited men who basically bullied her. She also doesn't understand why they think she's evil so I'm explaining to her what their blood policy is and how it is both contradictory and unscriptural.

My question really is why are JWs. ( some if not all ) hostile to medical staff? Is it purely because of the blood transfusion issue?

The HLC letter talks of healthy proactive exchanges between themsleves and medical staff. This is of course preferable, with mutual respect being shown on both sides.

However this certainly isn't the case in my local hospital where the HLC are simply despised, and security guards are called to eject them with little hesitation.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    However this certainly isn't the case in my local hospital where the HLC are simply despised, and security guards are called to eject them with little hesitation.

HLC members think they are sooooo speshil. I wish every hospital in the world would eject them and get orders of protection aginst the whole lot of them.

• luna2
    luna2

Another case of the WTS making it sound like their little arrangements and committees are so very effective...and in some cases they might be...but in many other cases all they've done is insulted and annoyed the medical staff.

I know that when I took my son to the emergency room (many years ago) because of a broken leg, and the staff found out I was a JW, they became rather hostile. If the local HLC and Jebooboo's witlesses in general had such a good reputation/relationship with hospitals in the area, why the bad reaction?

• jgnat
    jgnat

The JW's have a long history of anti-establishment propoganda. It's part of their charm. Remember Miracle Wheat? The Dangers of Aluminum? Even in their current "blood" brochure, they suggest that the medical community promotes blood transfusions primarily to avoid lawsuits, dismissing the possibility that doctors are rather obsessed about saving lives?

Medical personnel need not be concerned about liability, for Witnesses will take adequate legal steps to relieve liability as to their informed refusal of blood.

http://www.watchtower.org/library/hb/index.htm

War.gif

Note Trojan's contribution of this older brochure, where a fat, money-grubbing, violent doctor does battle with a mitred priest, a hoodlum, and a "french dude"?

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/106507/1873067/post.ashx#1873067 check out todays news media (UK) WTS "puff piece"

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    My question really is why are JWs. ( some if not all ) hostile to medical staff? Is it purely because of the blood transfusion issue?

"arrogance of ruthless egotism" click me

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    Also the other day one of the student midwives in our local hospital was confronted by the HLC while going for a break, and was told she was sinning by giving people blood.

Is that a small town thing or something ?

Try that on at our hospital ? Well, let's just say, you don't get to come back

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently I dealt with some people who just happened to be really, Really strange - realising this, the other staff asked, "Are they jehovahs witnesses or something?"

people are aware of it

• metatron
    metatron

This is excellent news - it would be wonderful if these Hospital Liaison committees could be universally treated as ignorant and hostile fanatics

who need to be shown the door. This would go a long way in wrecking the Society's stand on blood.

metatron

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    it would be wonderful if these Hospital Liaison committees could be universally treated as ignorant and hostile fanatics

That's pretty much where they're at around here

One opinion that seems to be common is that they aren't to be trusted - at all

• Scully
    Scully
    one of the student midwives in our local hospital was confronted by the HLC while going for a break, and was told she was sinning by giving people blood.

Actually, comments of this nature by the HLC to any medical, nursing or midwifery staff shows just how totally IGNORANT they are of how things work in the medical professions.

In my experience, midwives do not administer blood transfusions. In the event of extreme blood loss, in the case of a postpartum haemorrhage, the midwife would do a consultation to the obstetrician, the physician would write the orders for the transfusion, and it is the nurses' job to administer the blood transfusion. The physician would also need to obtain the patient's consent for this form of treatment.

For an HLC member (or - in this case - "possé", if you will) to make such a judgemental statement to a student is completely inappropriate. I hope there is a severe reprimand and possible revocation of their hospital privileges forthcoming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit