So I Went To Church Yesterday...

by lucifer 19 Replies latest jw friends

• lucifer
    lucifer

I have been playing with the idea of trying out different churches lately, just trying to keep an open mind, I notice myself thinking like a JW sometimes, thinking that no other religion is right, well whether there is a "true" religion or not I want to be able to say that at least I didn't give up after being a JW.

So I have been saying to my friends that I want to go to church, we talked about it a bit, but only one of my friends goes more than just christmas, so nothing ever came of it. Well the other day he was over for movies and I mentioned it again( it was saturday night) and he said that his parents are making him go tomorrow if I wanted to go. Next thing I know its Sunday morning and I'm getting dressed for church( you can bet I wore pants not a skirt lol) I was fidgeting and pacing all morning I was so nervous. It was a small Presbyterian church out in the country. Even though I didn't learn much about their beliefs from one sermon, it was an interesting experience, I might just even go again.

• daystar
    daystar
    it was an interesting experience, I might just even go again.

So, what was it like?

• jgnat
    jgnat

To get a taste of the huge variety out there, you might enjoy visiting http://ship-of-fools.com/

If you get so you REALLY enjoy visiting other churches, consider becoming a "Mystery Worshipper", kind of like a "Mystery Shopper", and you get to write about your experience. It sounds like loads of fun.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Good for you.... you just broke the "fear factor"... (hehe)

It was a small Presbyterian church out in the country. Even though I didn't learn much about their beliefs from one sermon, it was an interesting experience, I might just even go again.

Do... just remember that churches and congregations are like most things in life some are just ok and some can be really GREAT. I've been to many many churches. Some have a real motivating and positive spirit about them.... you come out on Sunday ready to take on the "world" for another week....others, Boresville, where you come out thinging "I just wasted an hour". Good luck on your 'quest'..

• joelbear
    joelbear

i personally think it would be an interesting experience to visit every single different kind of church that's out there, preferably all small ones.

i think the truth is found in small pockets in every different type of philosophy and religious thought set.

• lucifer
    lucifer

I got there a bit latebut they were reading from the bible for a bit, but than they priest(?)(not sure if that's the correct title) said it was "children time", and boy did that confuse me, because JW's don't have a part only for the children. A man came up and starting talking the the young children asking them questions related to the bible, but with words and phrases they could understand, he got them involved and even sang a song with them, it was nice to see the kids treated like this.

Oh and there was a baby crying during the sermon and the mom didn't scold it, she picked it up and cradled it, no one gave her dirty looks, that was a nice change

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    i think the truth is found in small pockets in every different type of philosophy and religious thought set.

AMEN to that brother!

• lucifer
    lucifer
    i personally think it would be an interesting experience to visit every single different kind of church that's out there

Me to, that was my plan, now just to get a "church buddy" who'll come with me lol

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

lucifer - how did you feel when you walked in the doors for the first time? I had no idea what to expect the first time I walked in a church, and was pretty nervous. But I found everyone very welcoming (they have welcoming committes to make sure everyone is greeted).

BB

• lucifer
    lucifer

Bumble bee, I was shaking lol, but since we were a bit late I didn't have to talk to anyone, but on the way out the priest shook my hand and thanked me for coming, and outside some people introduced themselves to me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit