Jehovah Unmasked!!

by Gill 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• slugga
    slugga
    If my husband didn't keep saying, 'haven't you got something else to do? Put that bloody book down, woman!'

Someone needs a lesson in the deadly ninja art of book throwing

• Balsam
    Balsam

I ordered the online download. I personally loved the book. Jehovah of the OT had few qualities that held any appeal after I woke up from the JW mentality. Personally I loved the book. The Gnostic approach to the bible makes sense to me. The only thing I can't quite wrap my head around is that there is any real and caring god out there who allows all the bad things going on here to exist. The book down load was only just over $4.00. Just a hassle to print up all those pages.

Gill the example of God and his creation isn't that twisted, creepy even. But it gets the point across perfectly.

Balsam

• Gill
    Gill

Balsam - You're right, it makes the point perfectly. Infact, the confusing character of Jehovah, his constantly changing his mind, demanding one thing, 'putting into the heart' of the person involved to be obstinate, so that he can destroy them, and twisting every situation, makes me think that he, is the cause of the whole problem in the first place. There's one serious personality disorder going on there!

Even when you come back to the NT and you have the 'new version of God' with all the niceness and love, there's a twist in the tale. The book of Revelation arrives, and God's going to kill most everyone anyway!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Just to remind that Nathaniel Merritt has made quite a few interesting posts here too: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/member/20357.ashx

• gumby
    gumby

Anyone who believes "Jehovah" first revealed himself to Moses needs to do some research on WHERE Jehovah originated. He was known to others long before Moses or any other jewish hero.

Gumby

• Gill
    Gill

Gumby - Tell me more! Some of us ie me, are way, way behind on the rest of you on this sort of info. I've been concentrating on reading 'prehistory' and am no way up on reading of religious prehistory.

Gill

• gumby
    gumby

Mornin Gill.

There have been quite a few threads on the subject already discussed here. Try the google search engine here on JWD and you may find the one you need. Or......you can just wait till one of the brainy ones here remembers and posts it. Below is a start. Read Narkisso's thread links on this thread below. You can find much on this if you type in "ugarits" in your address bar. Here's one http://www.sulekha.com/blogs/blogdisplay.aspx?cid=4569

Pleasuredomes thread here>>>>>>http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/107525/1868947/post.ashx#1868947

Gumby

• Gill
    Gill

Afternoon Gumby!

Thanks! I'm off to 'search'!

Gill

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

There have been many, many theories on possible non-Israelite origins for Yhwh and I personally found none of them very convincing. Especially not the Ugaritic one, which is based on one occurrence of yw in a fragmentary text, about Yamm which is the antagonist of Baal (whereas the oldest depictions of Yhwh in the OT make him rather a Baal-like god). Moreover, there is overwhelming evidence (especially from theophoric names and toponyms) that Yhwh was originally a Southern god (cf. the theophanies where the storm-god Yhwh comes from the South, Sinai, Teman...) which rooted first in Judah and only later met the similar (=> rival) Baal (common with Ugarit) in Northern Israel. Of course more remote sources (even Indian, via Arabia) are not impossible but very hard to prove.

• gumby
    gumby

Narkmeister....you may be correct on the usage of the divine name in it's fullest form being of Israelite origin, however parts of the name as you know came from others if I'm not mistaken. Some feel it was of Cannanite origin, others egyptian, and others assyrian. As far as Moses being the first to know of the name in it's fullest sense a Catholic encyclopedia said this,

"Perhaps it is preferable to say that the sacred name, though perhaps in a somewhat modified form, had been in use in the patriarchal family before the time of Moses. On Mt. Horeb God revealed and explained the accurate form of His name, Jahveh.

• The sacred name occurs in Genesis about 156 times; this frequent occurrence can hardly be a mere prolepsis.
    • Gen., iv, 26, states that Enos "began to call upon the name of the Lord [Jahveh]", or as the Hebrew text suggests, "began to call himself after the name of Jahveh".
    • Jochabed, the mother of Moses, has in her name an abbreviated form Jo (Yo) of Jahveh. The pre-Mosaic existence of the Divine name among the Hebrews accounts for this fact more easily than the supposition that the Divine element was introduced after the revelation of the name.
    • Among the 163 proper names which bear an element of the sacred name in their composition, 48 have yeho or yo at the beginning, and 115 have yahu or yah and the end, while the form Jahveh never occurs in any such composition. Perhaps it might be assumed that these shortened forms yeho, yo, yahu, yah, represent the Divine name as it existed among the Isralites before the full name Jahveh was revealed on Mt. Horeb. On the other hand, Driver (Studia biblica, I, 5) has shown that these short forms are the regular abbreviations of the full name. At any rate, while it is not certain that God revealed His sacred name to Moses for the first time, He surely revealed on Mt. Horeb that Jahveh is His incommunicable name, and explained its meaning".

Gumyahovah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit