Witness history or As I See It

by joelbear 17 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

some guy reads the materials of some other guy and gets the idea of marketing it himself. adds pizazz "I am the faithful slave", dramatic effect, the end will come in 1914 and boom you have a product. advertise, advertise, advertise thee kingdom of god. was it a mistake that business marketing lingo was used at this famous assembly. nifty record players to get people's attention. build a house for Moses, great publicity stunt. then power hungry guy comes along and wants growth growth growth, kind of a see what I did mentality. pushes his salesmen through guilt, emphasizing reporting of accomplishments, counseling of low producers by local managers. push push push, pressure is a good sales tool. wait, too much pressure, people getting tired. how bout bringing in a mystic philosopher type to calculate a more specific end date for the sales campaign. if you can just make it until .... you'll get your bonus. oops. no bonuses. convince sales team there is no better company to work for. you know your fellow salesmen now, you know the product, why risk everything now that you have put in so much time. retirement and pension is so close.

• luna2
    luna2

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, joelbear. Too bad I couldn't see it like that before I got involved.

• joelbear
    joelbear

it didn't start becoming clear to me until a Circuit Overseer told us that we shouldn't say the money covered the cost of printing because it didn't cost nearly that much to print a book, i was stunned.

then i got a lesson in bureaucracy when i was at bethel.

• LDH
    LDH
    a Circuit Overseer told us that we shouldn't say the money covered the cost of printing because it didn't cost nearly that much to print a book

LOL, was this in the days just before JW went to the voluntary world of 'donations?' or just after!!!!

• justsomedude
    justsomedude
    it didn't start becoming clear to me until a Circuit Overseer told us that we shouldn't say the money covered the cost of printing because it didn't cost nearly that much to print a book, i was stunned.

Wow, that would blow me away. What CO would have the guts to say something that truthful?

• joelbear
    joelbear

his name was Peter Lett. a real jerk.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

What CO would have the guts to say something that truthful?

--------------------------------------------

why, a soon-to-be ex-CO I assume. LOL. Why did my parents have to be part of a publishing company mascarding as a religion I will never understand. That is the only question I have to ask Joe-hobah or Yawn-eh.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Wow, joelbear! I remember the Lett's. Peter's wife rolled her R's and I loved to get her to say my name over and over again.

They were the first CO and wife that I remember. They stayed with our family when they were serving the congregations in Albany, GA. That would have been back in the '70s. After them (or maybe before? I was very young...) we had Russell and Eileen Cantwell. Small world inside the bOrg.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Forscher
    Forscher

Hey there Joelbear.
    In a nutshell, Jehovah's Witnesses is what you get when a lawyer takes over a religious printing house. He turns that printing business into a corporate, legalistic religion because that is all he knows how to do. That is not to impune lawyers as a group, I think a better lawyer could've done better than that. But what little that seems to surface about his days prior to invovlement with Russell seems to indicate that Rutherford was not all that good a lawyer. And I respectfully submit that his abysmal record before the Supreme Court tends to confirm it.
    Forscher

• greendawn
    greendawn

That's pretty much what it is, a commercial enterprise wrapped up in a religious guise and clumsily trying to ape spiritual activity. The average JW can not believe that his preaching is in fact a commercial activity given what they tell him that it's jehovah's kingdom work calculated to save lives etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit