Has Anyone Tried Yoga?

by Eyebrow 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

I have been considering learning yoga for a few years now, but I am not sure how to go about it. I don't really have the money for a class right now, and most of the books I have found are either extremely expensive or not really for beginners.

can anyone make any suggestions? Also, I heard that there is a version of 'non spiritual' yoga...just the stretching. Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks!

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

I bought a video. I love it. There aren't any "spiritual" overtones. Just meditation & stretching. I bought a four video set at Borders Book Store. The company that puts it out is 'Yoga Zone'.

closer

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
    than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance - e.e. cummings

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have done some yoga meditation......taking a class. I have missed two for vacation, but it was good. Felt so relaxed and yet energized too.

I have heard the videos are really good too, and much less expensive.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• julien
    julien

I like the kind with the fruit on the bottom.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I'm with julien on this one.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Mulan had apost about this a week or so ago. I would suggest picking up a copy of Yoga Journal mag, and using one of the videos from that. You might want to take a few classes. I do yoga with classes 2x per week. It's $5 to drop in on a class, and the personal instruction is really important.

By the way, yoga, for me personally, has been fantastic. One of the building blocks of my new life. You might want to check out the earlier post on this.
    S4

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

I recommend the tapes by Yoga Journal with Rodney Yee. There are several different ones depending on what you want to do: lose weight, gain flexibility, relax.

My favorite tape is Yoga for Relaxation hosted by Patricia Walden and Rodney Yee. It does wonders for me mentally and physically. You can get it pretty cheaply from Barnes and Noble.com or otherwise check out your local video store. You may even be able to rent one and try it out, see what you think.

You would probably enjoy Mulan's yoga thread if you can find it!

all the best
    essie

p.s. There is a segment with Rodney Yee from the Oprah site up on the web: http://oprah.oxygen.com/tows/pastshows/tows_past_20010406.html

click on the "Watch and learn along with Oprah" link, about halfway down the page.

• Caole
  • DCs Ghost
    DCs Ghost

Eyebrow

yoga is breathing and stretching that is all, nothing "demonic" or "spiritual" about it

it helps you get in tune with yourself and your body and it is only as much of a religious experience as you allow it to be, meaning if you do it religiously (read on a regular basis) that is it you won't get possessed really. . . .

ps check out a ymca in your area chances are they may have classes there they do in my area it is usually less expensive than most gyms and if you are a member the classes are free,
    that is of course if you feel comfortable going into a ymca

dc

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

thanks for all the helpful replies and links!!

Going to check out your suggestions...didn't really think of the video...will definately look into all your suggestions.

Thanks again!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit