Fading ain't goin' so well.

by atypical 19 Replies latest jw friends

• atypical
    atypical

I've been wanting to post updates for awhile, but I have been paranoid that my posts would make it too easy to identify me. Right now I don't care, so here's what's happening if it's helpful for anyone else who is trying to fade.

First of all, as of my last update I was still hanging around some of the witnesses socially and it came back to bite me. After that mess, I pretty much gave up on even trying to pretend I can have much in common with most of the people at the hall. When I see a witness that knows my family, I don't let on that I am inactive, but that's about as much as I try.

A few weeks ago, I went to the hall on Sunday because my father - in -law had the public talk. I went with a goatee; I'm sure I don't need to tell you what kind of stares I got. I made a point to wear my best suit; I didn't want to play into the "he's inactive so now he's a slob-loser" mentality I have heard a million times. I was going for more of a "I can wear a goatee and still look cleaner than half the brothers here" look. The few normal people at the hall were nice and acted genuinely glad to see me, but the rest seemed to look at me like: "What are you trying to pull?"

I did not attend the circuit assembly for my old congregation, but I found out that my neighbor who is a witness (new witness, thinks he the righteousness police) told several people that he is worried about my associations, because he has seen me hanging out with "long haired, bearded people". (Hmmmm....Jesus maybe????) Petty, I know, but it pissed me off. If I had any long haired, bearded friends, I would be proud to be seen with them. It is only by coincidence that all of my close friends are more clean cut than me, which means he made it up or is just crazy.

The day after I heard about that crap, I came home from dinner with my wife to find that an elder from the hall had put his business card inside my car shoved into my steering wheel with a note saying to call him. This same brother has stopped by quite a few times unannounced, but I never answer the door. He also keeps calling me persistently.

The first brother, my neighbor a couple doors down, had a big superbowl party and invited everyone from the hall, including my father-in-law. He did not invite me. (Remember, he is so worried about my association.) I was so fed up with everything that I had my own superbowl party. I only invited all of my friends who are inactive. One of them is disfellowshipped and is also the son of the elder who put the business card in my car. At halftime, we went out front where we could be seen and threw a football around.

I'm just waiting to be contacted, because I don't think there is any way I wasn't seen with my disfellowshipped friend and all my former jw friends. It might have been a stupid thing to do, but I am just so damn fed up with living this way. Sometimes it seems like it would be a relief to be disfellowshipped.

Thanks to anyone who read this, and sorry about the length. You guys are great. Right now this board is where I get my support when I am feeling outnumbered, and I am thankful for it.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

atypical- sorry to here this. it just sucks doesn't it??!!

good for you having fun with your real friends.

-freedomlover

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

you have helped me so much, i am dfed and wondering whether to get reinstated and then fad you have made me see that it wont be so easy to do!!

if you are geting fed up then dont worry about THING IF YOUVE BEEN SEEN WITH YOUR DFED FRIEND THEN EITHER YOU AND HIM DENY IT, OR GO WITH IT AND GET FREE!!"

DEPENDS ON HOW YOUR WIFE FEELS I GUESS, IS SHE STILL GOING STRONG?

PS DONT KNOW WHY IM SHOUTING THIS AT YOU BUT CANT SEEM TO TURN IT OFF!"

• IronClaw
    IronClaw
    If I had any long haired, bearded friends, I would be proud to be seen with them.

How about bald headed bearded men? I can still throw a mean football.

We always got your back Man. The Claw

• myself
    myself
    Re: Fading ain't goin' so well.

ROFLOL, Looks like you are handling it just fine.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

((((((atypical)))))))

I'm fading too. Some days it's sooooo hard, and other days I can't believe how free I am now.

I was so fed up with everything that I had my own superbowl party. I only invited all of my friends who are inactive. One of them is disfellowshipped and is also the son of the elder who put the business card in my car. At halftime, we went out front where we could be seen and threw a football around.

That's so funny!! The fact that you can do that, is great! Good for you, for treating your fellow human beings like your fellow human beings, and not like the skum of the earth.

And I completely agree with you, this board is great.

GGG

• atypical
    atypical

Thanks to all of you. You guys rock. As far as my wife, she is just as active as ever. At the same time though, she has been cool. She didn't complain about my party, in fact she said I should be able to have whoever I want in my house (it's our house, but you know what I mean). She left and hung out with her family, but not before cooking an awesome feast for me and all my friends to eat. She also told that elder that she is aware he was in my car, then she turned heel and walked away from him.

• Chimene
    Chimene

After almost a decade of pure torture and abuse, completely false sense of belonging and being loved by hypocrites, this site is better than any pill, even prosac, LOL. But seriously, Y'all are awesome. Obviosly, a tremendous amount of people here, I'm sure, have been helped in an astronomical way. The short time I've been here, I can certainly believe so.

You did the right thing, if they can throw that WT BS in our faces, you throw your ball with your REAL friends in front of there faces! tit for a tat! ( next time, make sure you throw the ball in their general direction, hopefully at one of their heads, might snap one out of the brainwash) LOL

oh that was mean, sorry ...... maybe

• serendipity
    serendipity

((( atypical ))) Good for you for throwing a party!! I bet y'all had more fun.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

atypical,

It might have been a stupid thing to do, but I am just so damn fed up with living this way. Sometimes it seems like it would be a relief to be disfellowshipped.

no bro. not stupid at all. completely natural actually. but yes, they will probably call you on it. they DF'd ray franz for eating with a DF'd brother. i see it like this though:

you are sick of it. you may be trying to fade, which is totally cool, but it seems like you are not satisfied, or you would not have engaged in "risky" (lol) behavour. so, it seems like you already have good friends that do not mind being around someone who is DFd. and somehow i don't think you will mind being DFd that much. it might even be a sort of relief. and of course you always have us all here at the board.

anyways, i don't know your personal situation, so i shouldn't say: "ya go for it! get DFd!" -- but if you ever wanna chat, just drop me a PM.

cheers mate,

TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit