Why would any one want to be a JW?

by TooBad TooSad 10 Replies latest jw friends

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

I have often thought about this and now know the answer. It by use of a simple sales technique. The only way on earth to influence other people to talk about what they want and show them how to get it.

Talk about what they want: everyone wants to see the end of crime, disease, hunger, death, old age, and would it not be great to see your dead mother, father, child, or aunt again on earth by means of a resurection? And the big one, not having to die at all.

Show them how to get it: All you have to do is get baptized, go to 5 meetings a week, go from door to door, study the same information over and over, be no part of the world, don't ask questiions. etc.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

well there is more to that then you mentioned.

Some people have a feeling of guild, in that they are doing wrong (in their eyes), and want to come clean with God, and need 'help' in a strong controleld religion.

Other are just unhappy, lonely, and want to be part of something.

there can bbe many reasons

• wombat
    wombat

For a start...you don't have to buy birthday or Christmas presents for all of your stupid rellies. You don't have to worry about who should be on your Christmas card list

• FairMind
    FairMind

A lot of the teachings make very good sense. Christian neutrality, no partiality or class distinctions (a teaching that contradicts the facts) and so forth.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Well, it might have saved my life back in the 50's because I didn't have to serve in the army. I got a 4D classification as a minister the day before I was to be inducted in the army.

Ken P.

• jojochan
    jojochan

Those that converted that I knew LOVED the structure, LOVED to be told what to do. And was hurt and burned from the outside world and retreated to this place to be assimilated. Whatever floats their boat. Plus they feel like they can have their guard down.

If they only knew....

jojochan.

• Buster
    Buster

I think it has very little to do with the teachings. From top to bottom, the vast majority of JWs fall into one of two catregories:

1. Those that want to be told what is right and what is wrong, and

2. those that want to do the tellin'.

Sheep and shepards, slaves and masters, kool-aid mixers and kool-aid drinkers.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Just saw the movie, "Two for the Money" and this line from Al Pacino's character stuck with me as pertaining to the question you raise.

"You're selling the world's rarest commodity. Certainty in an uncertain world."

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Masochism maybe?

• greendawn
    greendawn

It is the allure of everlasting life and paradise that does it for most people, for others it's the need to belong somewhere, and for others it's the appearence of a spiritually minded group that they like. Ignorance does the rest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit