They upset me and depressed me :~(

by Spectrum 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

I tried to show the nature of Jehovah to my mother and neice by using the story of the Levite and the concubine and the awful carnage of the innocents Jehovah santioned as a result of one rape and murder (Judges 19-21).
    They were both supporting Jehovah's sanctioning of the murder of thousands of men, women and children. At one point they said that I was getting too precious about the murdered children, that they would inevitably become like their parents, 99% of whom were innocent in this story anyway, and that what good would it do to leave them alive if the bread provider was dead in battle, better to finish them off too. They could not besmrch their God's "righteousness" under any circumstances. I was listening to my mother talking like this and really hurt me. I really felt sorry for her.
    They funny thing is if i told them this levite story but changed the places and names, to say Inca, they would say how awful the Inca's gods and religion is. It's good that the Spanish Christainised them.

My neice in order do back Jehovah said he could never ever be bad, it's impossible. My reply was, if you think that murdering children isn't bad then there is nothing more I can say.

Sad really sad.

• deeskis
    deeskis

Don't be disheartened. they're obviously not ready to listen hear it right now. You can lead a horse to water, but not make it drink.

keep showing them love, and planting seeds!

best wishes D

• Balsam
    Balsam

Wow that is down right weird. They all must have been told the exact same thing. Some JW ladies came to my door and I told them I would never worship or respect a god like Jehovah because of the vicious things his people did in Judges 19-21 and how god condoned it. We all sat at the kitchen table and read it. They said nearly the exact same thing your Mother and neice said. Condoning murdering children because the parent were evil. I said they had one sick ass god and he needed destroying. LOL They decided the converstation was going no where and left. They must have been programed to believe and argue those violent scriptures away. Jehovah is on violent and cruel god even even to his own people.

Have you ever read a book called "Jehovah Unmasked" I loved it really brings out how evil Jehovah really is.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I think that when speaking to those still in the organization, questioning the bible is something that most active JW's will not take well. Better off with questions and criticism about the organization, not the Bible itself. Just my opinion.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Dear Spectrum, I understand how disheartening it can be to see our loved ones being twisted by beliefs. Here, is a good article called: Why Bad Beliefs Don't Die, that may help you understand the psychological dynamics behind it all. Perhaps then it will not be as painful for you.

j

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Thanks guys,
    I'll have to rationalise it to overcome the depressing feeling that came over me. It's hard to come to terms with a mother, my mother supporting wholesale infanticed in a desparate effort to sustain her belief in a god that ironically she believes is the embodiment of virtue and infallability. It was as though the mother I knew all my life had lost her mind - she was speaking like a mad woman that had lost her sense of descency and dignity.

• blondie
    blondie

Spectrum, I used to be like that trying to defend an indefensible situation but then privately knowing that it confused me too and I could not accept that God would do such a thing. You would be surprised how many JWs privately question this. My private questioning eventually led to me leaving, ten years later.

So don't think what you said had no effect.

Love, Blondie

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Blondie,

What really kills me is I now that this belief in god is all my mother has got and I'm trying to take that away from her. She's too old to contend with such heavy issues and she really believes that there is something good around the corner. I think I should just keep my mouth shut, it's not worth taking away her hope just to prove my point. I feel like a bastard.

• blondie
    blondie

Spectrum, if people don't see it, you can't force it. I learned that growing up in an alcoholic family. You can't force the alcoholic to stop drinking.

Blondie

• NowImFree
    NowImFree

I am a Christian since leaving the JWs and my faith is in Christ now, not the JW organization. But I have to tell you that when I read the old testament I got very disturbed. I have had a hard time reconciling Jehovah of the old testament with Jesus of the new testament. I felt drawn to Jesus, but I felt more terror of Jehovah. I see some mercy in the old testament but not a lot, and I see I ton of killing which I don't understand. I even heard the pastor at my church say that this is mysterious and that sometimes it almost seems like to different Gods. Since the bible says Jesus is the exact image of the Father, what Father are they talking about? Since Jesus never calls him Jehovah, but he calls him Father and says we should call him Father, he never said to call him Jehovah which I find interesting. Only time will tell what that means. But I see the true God in Jesus.

NowImFree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit