The BIG NEWS is getting around

by Jez 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Jez
    Jez

My friend gave an article out her local little newspaper entitled in huge print, "Blood ban of Jehovah's Witnesses is more complex than many realize." by Richard N. Ostling

I am not sure if the exact same article is the one for release that has already been posted here, but it starts out,

"Jehovah's Witnesses are renowned for teaching that Jesus Christi s not God and that the world as we know it will soon end. But another unusual belief causes even more entanglements-namely, that God forbids blood transfusions even when patients' lives are at stake." Amazing read.

It was put in on Jan 31, 2006 in the Cranbrook British Columbia newspaper!

Jez

• skyman
  • sf
    sf

alt

• Jez
    Jez

bump

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I hope those pieces of crap in Brooklyn are squirming. Every bit of negative publicity is good publicity.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Hey, does anybody know, which issue of Forbes Magazine will have this article?It was posted on another thread that it was there, but I went to buy the magazine dated January 30 and it wasn't there. There's someone I want to show it to, and coming from that magazine would make it all the more impacting.

IC

• ringo5
    ringo5

I'm glad that the general public is getting to hear about this, but I'm very sceptical about any real effect on your average dub.

Here's an excerpt from an email from my mom who only thinks that I am having doubts, she certainly does not know I no longer believe in the bible. She must have felt she had to warn me about this news article before I saw it:

"We've come across some news items that say we have changed our views on Blood transfusion. If you hear something to that effect. don't beleive it--it's exactly what it used to be, in line with Biblical principles and Jehovah's laws. News media can certainly distort things. We had a long lettter read at our service mtg. this week, most of it relating the role of the HLC, HIS, and how to avail ourselves of their help if necessary, And the Kingdom Ministry had a question and answer program on the video we've had for several years. If you'd like a copy, I'll send one along. It's no job to get an operation around here, in *******, without blood. The head of the nursing staff at the ***** is very much in favor of bloodless surgery. How much the apostates twist things, as they did in the first century, accusing both Jesus and the early Christians, twisting things so much that they actually had Jesus put to death by saying he was a blasphemer and treasonous, as well, neither of which was true. And one of the letters of the apostles said there would be more later, twisting things to their own end.
    "

Her letter saddens but does not suprise me, and the question I now have to decide is to challenge her view of this or not....but right now I doubt there's anything I can say that would shake her unquestioning loyalty to you-know-who.

But I hope there are some dubs who will question....

• sf
    sf

This may be your only means of getting the article. Just print it up. It's my understanding not all internet news goes to print. Make sure you include the URL when you print it:

http://www.forbes.com/business/businesstech/feeds/ap/2006/01/26/ap2479474.html

Associated Press
    Religion Today By RICHARD N. OSTLING , 01.26.2006, 12:00 PM

Jehovah's Witnesses are renowned for teaching that Jesus is not God and that the world as we know it will soon end. But another unusual belief causes even more entanglements - namely, that God forbids blood transfusions even when patients' lives are at stake.

The doctrine's importance will be underscored next week as elders who lead more than 98,000 congregations worldwide recite a new five-page blood directive from headquarters.

The tightly disciplined sect believes the Bible forbids transfusions, though specifics have gradually been eased over the years. Raymond Franz, a defector from the all-powerful Governing Body that sets policies for the faith, thinks leaders hesitate to go further for fear that total elimination of the ban would expose the organization to millions of dollars in legal liability over past medical cases.

The Witnesses have opposed transfusions of whole blood since 1945. A later pronouncement also barred transfusions of blood's "primary components," meaning red cells, white cells, platelets and plasma.

An announcement in 2000 in the official Watchtower magazine, however, said that because of ambiguity in the Bible, individuals are free to decide about therapies using the biological compounds that make up those four blood components, such as gamma globulin and clotting factors that counteract hemophilia.

Next week's directive could create confusion about these compounds, known as blood "fractions."

Without noting the 2000 change, the new directive tells parents to consider this: "Can any doctor or hospital give complete assurance that blood or blood fractions will not be used in treatment of a minor?"

Aside from the new directive, a footnote in the Witnesses' standard brochure, "How Can Blood Save Your Life?," mentions the 2000 article on fractions - but then omits its contents.

By coincidence, next week's directive follows some heavy criticism of the blood transfusion policy from attorney Kerry Louderback-Wood of Fort Myers, Fla., writing in the Journal of Church and State, published by Baylor University.

Louderback-Wood, who was raised a Witness but now has no religious affiliation, accuses her former faith of giving "inaccurate and possibly dishonest arguments" to believers facing crucial medical decisions.

Louderback-Wood complains that many Witnesses and physicians aren't given clear instruction about their faith's blood transfusion policy, particularly on the subject of fractions.

She's no disinterested bystander. The lawyer says her mother died from severe anemia in 2004 because local elders didn't realize hemoglobin is permitted.

Louderback-wood learned that hemoglobin was allowed from the Web site of Associated Jehovah's Witnesses for Reform on Blood, which was founded in 1997 by dissenting local elders, eight of whom served on Hospital Liaison Committees that advise Witnesses and physicians.

The founder of Associated Jehovah's Witnesses, speaking on condition of anonymity to protect his standing in a faith that does not tolerate dissent, says liaison committee members know about the revised teachings, but most Witnesses automatically refuse all forms of blood without consulting the committees. Physicians are often ill-informed about Witness beliefs, he says.

Louderback-Wood thinks the faith is subject to legal liability for misinforming adherents, which to her knowledge is an untested theory in U.S. courts. Related issues arise in a pending lawsuit in Calgary, Alberta, however, over the alleged "wrongful death" of teenage leukemia patient Bethany Hughes.

Witnesses headquarters refused an Associated Press request to interview an expert on blood beliefs. Instead, General Counsel Philip Brumley issued a prepared statement rejecting Louderback-Wood's "analysis and conclusions" in general.

"Any argument challenging the validity of this religious belief inappropriately trespasses into profoundly theological and doctrinal matters," Brumley stated.

The Watchtower's 1945 ban said "all worshippers of Jehovah who seek eternal life in his new world" must obey. Such edicts are regarded as divine law, since the Governing Body uniquely directs true believers. Violators risk ostracism by family and friends.

A subsequent Watchtower pronouncement forbade storage of a patient's own blood for later transfusion. In all, Associated Jehovah's Witnesses lists 20 shifts and refinements in blood-related rules over the years.

At the core of their blood beliefs, Witnesses cite Acts 15:29, where Jesus' apostles agreed that Gentile converts should "keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood." The Witnesses also cite passages in Genesis and Leviticus.

Judaism and Christianity have always understood these scriptures to ban blood-eating for nourishment. This underlies Judaism's kosher procedures to extract blood from meat, which Witnesses do not follow. Christianity eventually decided the rule was temporary.

Experts assume that Raymond Franz's late uncle, Frederick Franz, who served anonymously as the Witnesses' chief theologian, decided those passages cover blood transfusions. But Raymond Franz raises questions about the blood policy in his book "In Search of Christian Freedom." Among them:

_Why forbid a patient's own stored blood yet permit components derived from large amounts of donated and stored blood?

_Why allow organ transplants, which introduce far more foreign white blood cells than transfusions?

_The Witnesses forbid plasma, which is mostly water, but allow the components in it that provide therapy. So what's the point of banning plasma?

Advances in bloodless surgery have reduced medical dangers for Witnesses in the United States, but Associated Jehovah's Witnesses maintains the blood policy is a life-threatening problem elsewhere.

Louderback-Wood says she'll be contented if her protest saves one child's life.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

I think I came across an article on the net yesterday . . . posted in the Chicago Tribune. It (the misrepresentation issue) is getting some well-deserved attention.

Hopefully, someone will be able to take it (WBTS) to court with much success.

Even if they don't, at least the press coverage is putting some serious egg on the WTBS' faces.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

sf thanks for that, actually, I printed it out already, I just wanted for it to be directly in the magazine, as they are all weary of the Internet. But thank you anyway.

IC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit