Brits migrating to Australia

by wombat 30 Replies latest jw friends

• wombat
    wombat

Australia has a severe shortage of skilled workers and is targeting Brits - very successfully.

Last year nearly 100,000 Brits moved here.

The Australian 4 Feb..

"The big lure wasn't economic..It was a new lifestyle and better opportunities for the kids. And the big sweetener was the exchange rate. Prospective workers owned homes worth about (Pounds)160,000 to 190,000, or about $450,000. In Mackay that will get you a brand new house on 850 sqare metres with four bedrooms, double lock-up garage and a pool."

Brits are very welcome here so long as they don't mention The Ashes or the Rugby.

• deeskis
    deeskis

I've never regretted our family's move from Scotland. although it can be difficult for people who feel isolated from their support network in the old country.

just the better weather alone makes it a better lifestyle................come on you guys, get over here and join us..............we don't bite!

(well the ocassional shark, spider, and snake maybe, but you got more chance of being smashed up on the M1!)

best wishes D

• FairMind
    FairMind

How do the Aussies feel about USA immigrants? Would I be welcome?

• deeskis
    deeskis

Que, your blog says your from israel lol

I think if you have the skills wanted you'd be welcome.

Australia used to have a "white Australia policy", some decades ago, but is a huge multicultural mix now. And despite what you read and maybe saw on TV the mix generally works well with good tolerance.

best wishes

D

• wombat
    wombat

Sure FairMind....Ynaks are popular here. We just had a visit last week from the humungus aircraft carrier US (Some President' name). The 5000 sailors were the toast of the town.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    How do the Aussies feel about USA immigrants? Would I be welcome?

You'd be very welcome Fair Mind... Funny, bro Farkel was worried about that too. Just because George Dubya is hell-bent on wrecking the world doesn't mean we hold it against you personally .. just denounce the silly prick as soon as you arrive, pledge allegience to Phillip Adams and you'll be in like flynn.

unc who had a toasted US sailor for lunch.

Hey Wombat. pleased to meet you, nice name. However, for australia's sake - could you please be more precise in future (some presidents name & toast of the town" just doesn't cut the kebab

PS: Is Kings Cross a town?

• Ellie
    Ellie

Its just a shame I don't have the skills needed or else I'd be straight there.

I did try to move over once before as my mate lived in Brisbane and her mum would've given me a job but it didn't work out so I'm stuck here in the cold instead.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Hey ellie, I'll give ya a job (a girl doesn't need much skill to operate a chainsaw

forest living unc

PS: Queensland is the deep south of Australia, hot, backward and uncivilised (no-one in their right mind lives there

• wombat
    wombat

USS Ronald Reagan (I fianlly remembered the name) didn't go to Sydney. The sailors wanted some good R & R so came to Brisbane instead. And we are only a big country town.

Yes, those Yank sailor boys have a real fuss made over them when they visit.

Incidentally, our elected Government has sent Australian troops to Iraq so it's not all anti-Bush here.

It's a shame that our Government (it so appears) allowed the Wheat Board to give Saddam a $300 million bribe to buy our wheat. The Canadians knocked back a similar offer but Australia took him up on his offer.

Saddam used that money to pay the families of suicide bombers in Palestine.

I am really ashamed to be an Australian at the moment.

• wombat
    wombat

Ellie...Your avatar freaks me out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit