The Chinese torturing cats and dogs by the millions

by greendawn 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

It is strange that in this day and age a country like China with a tradition of civilisation going back to ancient times treats cats and dogs as if they are nothing.

It's not just that they eat them or kill them for their fur but the cruel inhumane way in which the kill them, believing that if they die a painful death their meat will be more tasty. Not to mention that often they skin them alive as they don't care to wait until they die. Saint Bernards are favourite for their meat and Alsatians for their fur.

For details on this attrocious situation:
    http://www.buyhard.fsnet.co.uk/animalcruelty.htm

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Greendawn, are you a vegetarian?

• greendawn
    greendawn

I am not a vegetarian, what the Chinese do wrong is the incredibly cruel way in which they kill animals before eating them or taking their fur.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Sounds like a value based societal issue GD.

Ever been to a slaughterhouse for livestock?

Ever picked out your lobster of choice to boil alive?

Ever eat octupus? Do you have any idea how smart and intelligent they are?

The list goes on and on......

Food is one of those very cultural things.....I"m not judging you, just trying to point out your own cultural bigotry. That's all.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Enigma, I think in the Western world animals must by law be humanely killed in the slaughterhouses. I know it's not ideal to kill animals for food but it's one thing to quickly kill them and another to beat them to death or slit them open or skin them while still alive. There are laws against animal cruelty.

As for lobsters I can't recall ever eating one, they are very expensive in Europe but octopus I ate many times.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Again, in the end you end up killing the animal for food. Not much difference in my book. But I have been to a slaughterhouse. One of the reasons I am a vegetarian mainly. I like the taste, just don't agree with the idea of killing for food if not necessary. But to each their own.

Please keep in mind in third world countries food isn't such a casual purchase as it is for us. It's quite literally the edge of starvation for many. Lecturing borderline impoverished folks to inact laws, procedures, and methods that drive up the cost of their food seems cruel to me.

I am heading to Tokyo in 10 days. And yes I will break my vow of no animal flesh....but those damn octupi taste soooo good! LOL

There is a TV special that shows on cable from time to time showing all the various ways of killing animals for food. I saw it in 1998. Quite literally was the last straw in my own quest to eat less / no meat. It shows cattle being hoisted up at the slaughterhouse in a sling...falling off it, quite literally almost breaking in half as they hit the ground. Disgusting.

They show a "Cat House" resturant in Shanghai that cooks cats like lobster. The patrons go to cages and pick out which cat they are going to eat. Freaking disgusting.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

I am not a vegetarian either, but:

Sounds like a value based societal issue GD.

Ever been to a slaughterhouse for livestock?

Ever picked out your lobster of choice to boil alive?

Becoming outrage when seeing cats and dogs (or any other animal) being skinned alive, has nothing to do with "value based societal issues". And I have been to a slaughterhouse for livestock. My brother is a trained butcher (no college for him, he was in JW-land at the time...), and spent many years butchering for a living. But there is a difference between killing an animal by skinning it alive (which is torture) and killing it by shooting it in the head with a metal bolt. In the first scenario, death is extremely painful and takes a long, long time, in the second scenario, death is instant. I do agree though, that animals in the slaughterhouse often experience unnecessary stress and often also injuries due to the stressful conditions, before they are killed. And yes, I dislike the tradition of boiling lobsters alive, so I never eat lobster. Still, most sea-animals can`t be compared to a mammal in terms of neurological complexity, ability to feel pain and anxiety, etc.

• THE FROG
    THE FROG

Dogs and Cats are very dangerous to a frog and they ought to all be eaten, just like slugs - but eating Frogs Legs is unspeakably awful and vile and cruel and tastey and nasty and should be outlawed immediately.

• TD
    TD

Well I agree with greedawn here.

I spent my summers on an Uncle's farm growing up. I've slaughtered and helped slaughter chickens and pigs and I'm not squeamish about the necessary first step in putting meat on the table.

This situation is different. Our livestock did not consist of stolen family pets that belonged to others.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome to the forum frog nice to see you here.

Hellrider and TD, you said precisely what I was going say, that there is enormous difference between killing animals humanely and inhumanely and that mammals like dogs and cats (often stolen) feel pain differently than the far more primitive crustaceans.

In China there are no laws protecting animals at all, so they are way behind in this area, people can kill cats and dogs even just out of sadism without fear of getting in trouble.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit