Are you "star-struck" by famous people?

by free2beme 18 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I have had several encounters in my life with "famous" people. One time, when I managed a movie theatre, Ron Howard came into the theatre with his family and sister's family. It was a little time before the show and people in the lobby were bothering him, so we took him to the projection booth to wait and he was actually a nice guy. Very down to earth, and if you did not know he was "famous," you would have thought he was any other person on the street. Another time in my life, I was helping out backstage at local concerts and meet Lee Greenwood, who is a singer and has that hit "Proud to be an American." Well he was a complete ass, wanted all the pampering and assumed everyone loved him. Another time, Bob Dylan was in town and one of the security people thought he was a homeless guy trying to get in the backdoor and he threw a fit. If you have ever seen Bob in person, you would understand why they thought this. Anyway, that guy was freaky weird and not very nice. I also had the displeasure of meeting John Stockton, who is a professional basketball player, who upon shaking his hand, thought it would be funny to say, "pleasure of you to meet me." Although Jerry Rice was with him at that time, and he was the complete opposite and seemed embarrassed at the comment being made. I am not bringing these up to brag, as personally I think it is funny that we make people better then us mentally, because they are more "famous" then us. Often these people are scum, or just really really rude people. Some are nice, like I mentioned with Ron Howard, but most are so out of touch with reality because of their fame, that they are not. I think I often catch them off guard, as I never ask for a photo or an autograph. I just talk to them and if they are not willing to be normal human beings, who communicate normally, then like anyone who would be that way, I form an opinion. Oh, and David Lee Roth is way out there in person, I think he carries on conversations with himself, in his own mind. Nice guy though, just out there. So who have you met, and what is your thoughts about them and the "famous" issue ... are you star-struck?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Yep.

Met Robert Plant from Led Zepplen a few years ago. He wanted to chat, I thought I was talking to god. Embarrasing I know.

Same with Madonna. She was exercising on Main beach in Byron Bay but I was too out of it to front her.

Hey, it was New Years Day. Been up all night. My friends thought I was hallucinating but the local newspaper confirmed her visit. She flew out with John Travolta (in a private jet, he was the pilot) for a bash with the makers of Crocodil Dundee, that movie from the eighties.

• deeskis
    deeskis

hey doof

did you catch plant and page at sydney entertainment centre around ten years back. pretty good!

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Ah Deeskis you know!!

Actually Plant got up at a local hotel on unplugged nite and blew away about 5 people!!

Me? No, I was just getting into psy trance!!!

Still those guys kick arse!!!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

In the 70's, I used to work at a nightclub on Mockingbird Lane in Dallas. Since Love Field (before it closed) was in our back yard and the Marriott was across the street from the club, we had celebrities drifting in our doors occasionally. I can remember 4 of 'em. Half were really, really nice people. The other 50% were jackasses. Bob Crane that played Hogan on "Hogan's Heros" was super nice and so was Buck Owens from the Grand Ol' Opry. On the other hand, Larry Storch from "F Troop" and the comedian that's big and heavy-set with frizzy wild black hair and uses the "tag line" ....."Hello der!" for his opener every time he plays somewhere.....anyway, they were horses patoots ALL the way.

And one of the nicest politicians I ever met, real down to earth, was former Gov. Mark White before he ever ran for governor. He only owned a radio station, among other things, I'm sure, and had his eye on running for governor of Texas one day. Mark said he was competing with Ross Perot in radio-land at the time, but then.....that was the early 70's. Anyway, he came in one night and called me over to his table. I was trying to ignore him, because he "smelled" like cop and we were harrassed enough by them that I was wary. Mr. White wouldn't take no for an answer even though I ignored him for more than an hour, him yelling at me to come to his table the whole time. The club emptied out by 2 AM and after I finally went over to his table, he sat with me and bought me champagne until 6 AM in the morning, when he finally left. He said it was his favorite form of therapy to seek out a good-looking stranger, no one in particular, and just lay all his thoughts out on the table, using the stranger for a sounding board. I guess. At least he was really nice.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

P.S.

I'm not starstruck, btw. If they're nice, I'll chat with 'em. If they're nuts, I'll avoid 'em.

• codeblue
    codeblue

no....met Willy Nelson where I worked, he wasn't very nice. People are people, that's it. Some are just nicer then others.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Was having breakfast in Malibu about 15 years ago. Eddie and Sammy of Van Hagar get a table and I could not take my eyes off of the table. Poor guys, couldnt even get a decent breakfast with out being stared down.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Not at all. I've seen a handful of celebs, and never bothered to ask for an autograph. People are people.

• free2beme
    free2beme
    Was having breakfast in Malibu about 15 years ago. Eddie and Sammy of Van Hagar get a table and I could not take my eyes off of the table. Poor guys, couldnt even get a decent breakfast with out being stared down.

You know, when I met David Lee Roth, he was on a solo tour. I would love to see them all perform together again, and David Lee Roth is one of the few I actually got a Photo and Autograph with. I have always been a old Van Halen fan, and I might have staired too on that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit