Found some older WTS publications!

by cyberdyne systems 101 14 Replies latest jw friends

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

I was going through some old boxes in my attic and found some older WTS publications, mainly spanning late 60's to 90's, but among those was a couple from the 40's and 50's, but the real scoop was the book 'Riches' by none other than JF Rutherford! I'm hoping to witness first hand some of the Witnesses flip flops on doctrine.

Does anyone know if there is anything significant in this book that I should look out for when reading it?

Arnie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Let me know if you find an original copy of the Jan 1st, 1989 Watchtower. I'd be willing to buy it from you.

Scan of Original

Scan of Bound Volume

• greendawn
    greendawn

I don't specifically know but there will surely be some gems in them, forum members like Blondie are very knowledgeable on this subject. I know that the dubs worshipped Christ from around 1900 to around 1959 so that is something to look out for. After 1959 one would get disfellowshipped for worshipping Christ.

• hooberus
    hooberus

I was going through some old boxes in my attic and found some older WTS publications, mainly spanning late 60's to 90's, but among those was a couple from the 40's and 50's, but the real scoop was the book 'Riches' by none other than JF Rutherford! I'm hoping to witness first hand some of the Witnesses flip flops on doctrine.

Does anyone know if there is anything significant in this book that I should look out for when reading it?

Arnie

There is a quote in either "Riches" or "Religion" that in the context of opposing the Roman Catholic Church seems to also disparage their "Governing Body". (of course later on 1970'S the WT embraced the concept of a GB for themselves).

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Elsewhere, very interesting to look at the scans, i shall certainly look out for that issue. One nugget I have come across already by speed reading is the date of 606 B.C.

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Just found a section dealing with 'the higher powers' of Romans 13:1-3, saying they are Jehovah God and Jesus

• blondie
    blondie

Riches Book (Published in 1936), Page 177:

"A lie is a false statement made by one to another one who is entitled to hear and to know the truth"

Yes, also, until 1929 the WTS taught that the superior authorities were the secular governments, that changed in 1929 to God and Jesus, and in 1962 back to the secular authorities.

Blondie

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Thx Blondie

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/riches/richestitles.html

1936 "The Lord has graciously provided for the publication of his message in the form of books, that the people many be informed of the truth....those

books do not contain the opinion of any man." (Riches, 1936, p. 384, 385)

1936 "... there is but one place of safety, and that is to be in and to abide in the organization of Jehovah God." (Riches; 1936; p. 101)

Now Satan knows that his time is very short until the great fight at Armageddon takes place, and he hastens to drive all men into spiritism or devilism and therefore against God; and for that reason at the present time there is a great turning to spiritism and spirit mediums throughout the land. (Riches; 1936; pp. 101)

Anyone who would receive the riches of Jehovah God must gain a knowledge of the truth, and this can be gained only by a careful study of God's Word and the helps which he has provided to understand the same. (Riches; 1936; pp. 106)

1936 As long, then, as the anointed members of the royal priesthood, meaning the anointed remnant, live on the earth and continue to preach "this gospel of the kingdom", the Jonadab company must keep in company and in harmony with Jehovah's anointed and aid them in their work; otherwise the great Avenger will overtake them. (Riches, 1936; p. 128)

A misunderstanding of what constitutes "the higher powers" has caused many persons to be held in restraint or in

1936 Those of good will called "Jonadabs" must now inform themselves of the truth, and this can be done only by the study of the scriptures and the printed literature that helps to understand the prophecies now in fulfillment. (Riches; 1936; p. 167)

Christianity (Protestant & Catholic) is the Devil's religion (Riches 1936 p. 285)

Jehovah has made the necessary arrangements within his organization to instruct his people, and all recognize that for some years The Watchtower has been the means of communicating information to God's people. That does not mean that those who prepare the manuscript for The Watchtower are inspired, but rather it means that the Lord through his angels sees to it that the information is given to his people in due time, and he brings to pass the events in fulfillment of his prophecy.... God feeds his people upon the "food convenient" for them, and gives it to them at the proper time." (J. F. Rutherford, 2nd President of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, "Riches", 1936, p316)

Hereinbefore are set out the scriptures referring to those who are taken out of the world as a people for Jehovah's name. The same scriptures up to a certain point apply to all who will ever get life. (Riches; 1936; pp. 141)

Many honest persons have been led to believe that the "higher powers" are and were the visible rulers of this wicked world; but when God enlightened his people and made known to them that the "Higher Powers" are Jehovah and Christ Jesus, this information was passed on to other honest people of good will, and many others have since joyfully accepted and recognized and acknowledged Christ Jesus and Jehovah as the "higher powers." (Riches; 1936; pp. 322)

A lie is a false statement made by one to another one who is entitled to know the truth, and which false statement tends to work injury to the other. (Riches, 1936; pp. 177)

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    Scan of Original

Scan of Bound Volume

Hmm, I just took a peek at those two images and that little section that you have circled, and all I can think is, "Whoa, it's like 1984 [the George Orwell book] all over again!!" Hard to believe that this actually happens in real life and that people actually believe it!! That's a major change, to go from saying "20th century" to "in our time", it's not like correcting a misprint or a typo. How can JWs not even blink when this stuff happens??

Does anyone else have some good examples of how articles have been changed from the original to the bound editions/CD-ROM versions?? This stuff blows my mind, I thought that this kind of thing only existed in fiction, but I guess not. But hey, reality is stranger than fiction, right??

-Becka :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit