"Apostasy" Sucks (sometimes)

by Maryjane 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Maryjane
    Maryjane
    Maybe I misunderstood your post a bit, but personally I dont go around picking fights about such things. I'd wait until they try to preach to you about some silly crap and then try to point out the flaws in it.

Oh never! This drama is all playing out on another discussion board and I only chime in when the JW starts spewing twisted rhetoric. Other people on the board don't get why I care, and some are regular 'Christians' who come to her defense (that is til I posted how JW's believe all non-JW's...including "Christians" will perish at Armaggedon).

I think I'll stick with Gary's advice and not try to reason with her (actually I post for the benefit of the civilians who might buy into the JW stuff)

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Where's the board? I'll help you, young Jedi.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

You know what? Just don't argue with them. Tell them what you believe and that's it. Tell them that you don't believe that Jehovah's Witnesses have it right, they make prophecies that don't come true, that they follow men who are not directed by God, and that you have no intention of being a religious zombie.

Then walk away

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Remember, their whole demeanor is designed to make them look the part of having it right. The clothes, the bookbags, the grooming, the professionally produced literature.

They haven't a clue how to deeply research and support the positions they take. But they have swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. You can't debate with those who are not there to debate. Kinda like trying to convince a sweeper salesman that his is not the best. He will prove to you it is, then let you prove it isn't after you bought and paid for it.

Jeff

• undercover
    undercover

Can you convince a Mormon that their religion is kooky?

Can you convince a Scientologist that their, um, religion, or whatever, is just plain stupid?

Then how can you hope to explain to a JW that their religion is whacko?

I never talk religion with my JW family/friends. I let them go on thinking they're something special and that I'm "spiritually weak". If they get in my face about something, though, I defend myself and will embarrass them if necessary. When I stick to that agenda, then any non-JWs watching usually see the JW as the nutty one.

• coffee_black
  • coffee_black
  • coffee_black
    coffee_black

Debating with a Witness is like being in a pissing contest with a skunk.

OMG, Gary....that is priceless...and 100% true!!! LOL!

Coffee

• greendawn
    greendawn

If you can't win a contest with them that's because you haven't done enough background reading, there are many weak points in the belief system where they can more or less easily be overwhelmed. It's worth arguing with them before third parties to stop them from making more victims.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I agree it's abslolutely worth it...but it is very frustrating. It's best to keep it simple and not give too much information at one time...they tend to tune you out if you give them too much to process..

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit