"Apostasy" Sucks (sometimes)

by Maryjane 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Maryjane
    Maryjane

I'm so frustrated with the challenges associated with "spreading the bad news about Jehovah's Witnesses" I find when I debate with a JW in the company of "civilians" (people who know nothing of JW's) they come off smelling like a rose and I seem like a disgruntled nut.

Just needed to vent!

thanks.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I'm a little prone to that too. Best to just take a deep breath and try not to take any of their retarded comments personally when talking to them..

GBL

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya, i know what you mean. but did you ever enjoy field service? so then, don't expect to enjoy apostate service. as a matter of fact, i say go irregular and just leave them be.

but i know. when you are in the situation, it is almost irresistable to not say anything or debate a little.

• daystar
    daystar

Where have you been? Don't you know that it's wrong to oppose anyone else's religious views? It's called liberalism!

• Maryjane
    Maryjane
    Where have you been? Don't you know that it's wrong to oppose anyone else's religious views? It's called liberalism!

You are so right. Duh...what was I thinking!

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

Maybe I misunderstood your post a bit, but personally I dont go around picking fights about such things. I'd wait until they try to preach to you about some silly crap and then try to point out the flaws in it.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I haven't debated with a JW yet. I usually just bring up something that they can't answer, as an example,"What determines the heart condition that God will judge. Is it what we have read and learned, our genetics, our experiences in life, our childhood upbringing, the condition of our brain chemicals. Are we totally responsible for our own heart condition? Just what is this heart, is it some spiritual part of our humanity? Since out eternal life is dependant on this, shouldn't we know what exactly shapes it's destiny?

No one has given me an answer yet.

Ken P.

PS. I did have a district overseer tell me that the chemicals in the brain had something to do with it because if his son didn't have his pills he would go crazy. He came by with the PO and CO one day. They were very nice and seemed to really care about me, gave me a hug when they left.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    I haven't debated with a JW yet.

Hmm, me neither, not really. I've tried to start a mature, civilized debate with my JW boyfriend a couple of times, just to counter a few of the outrageous beliefs that he clings to and see if I can understand why he picks and chooses which rules to follow and which to not follow (for example, he won't celebrate Christmas, but he's very happy with me, his "worldly" girlfriend and is looking forward to living with me this summer), but it's hard to discuss this with him because he really doesn't know what he's talking about. His general response to a question is, "Well, this is what we believe... *insert strange doctrine here*... and there's proof in the Bible for it, so that's why we believe it. We believe that God (no, he never refers to God as "Jehovah") thinks that this or that is wrong and doesn't want us to practice that, so that's why we ban it." Then, because he hasn't given me any specifics (because he doesn't know what the specific references are), I can't counter it and I look like a judgemental fool. And if I bring up the fact that doctrines keep changing, his response is, "Well, it's a new religion, it's still evolving" or "I didn't know that, but I guess we used to believe that, but then it was banned because there were too many things wrong with it" (the second one was his response to, "But you guys used to celebrate Christmas!!"). Kinda hard to look smart and be objective and point out flaws in reasoning when there is no reasoning to begin with!!

Ooo, it gets so frustrating trying to sensibly talk to a JW about their faith and the issues with it. I have never even said anything against the WTS to my JW boyfriend, but still, I always come out of one of those conversations looking like an uneducated, judgemental, biased, bigoted jerk.

-Becka :)

• garybuss
    garybuss

After years of experience with Witness people, my policy is never talk religion or Witnessism with a believing Witness. There's no limit to my helping an exiting Witness or a trapped Witness.
    Debating with a Witness is like being in a pissing contest with a skunk.
    Trying to reason with a believing Witness is like trying to reason with a drunk.

• KW13
    KW13

Remember...you don't come with magazines, you don't come with a MISSION or task in hand.

Your the honest individual who finds their own resources and information, and even checks to make sure its not biased - Witnesses live on cloud nine and avoid looking around, but yet encourage others to study their religion....mmm not fair!

Keep at it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit