Contradiction in NWT

by Desino 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Desino
    Desino

Under which name must Christians be saved? Well according to WTS it is Jehovah. This is written in Joel 2: 32 (read NWT). 32 And it must occur that everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will get away safe; for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will prove to be the escaped ones, just as Jehovah has said, and in among the survivors, whom Jehovah is calling.” But this contradicts Acts 4: 12, I posted also the previous verses so you can see the verse is talking about Jesus. Then Peter, filled with holy spirit, said to them:

“Rulers of the people and older men, 9 if we are this day being examined, on the basis of a good deed to an ailing man, as to by whom this man has been made well, 10 let it be known to all of YOU and to all the people of Israel, that in the name of Jesus Christ the Naz·a·rene´, whom YOU impaled but whom God raised up from the dead, by this one does this man stand here sound in front of YOU . 11 This is ‘the stone that was treated by YOU builders as of no account that has become the head of the corner.’ 12 Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”

But if you read another Bible translation f.x New American Standard Bible, then the scripture from OT are consistent with Acts 4:12 in NT.

Off course when the WTS talks about Jehovah as the saviour, then they never mention Acts 4:12. The NT shows many times that Jesus is the saviour.

• Shazard
    Shazard

This Acts 4:12 is very powerfull scripture!

• PMJ
    PMJ

this website is for any one open minded enough to look at it http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/newworldtranslation/home.htm

• undercover
    undercover

The question, I guess, should be: is the tetragrammaton used at Joel 2:32 where most translations use LORD? If it is, then using Yahweh(Jehovah) would be correct.

So the contradiction would still be there, but not at the fault of the WTS. It becomes just another bit of trivia to argue about OT vs NT, Jesus vs God, myth or fact, etc, etc, etc. but not necessarily are JWS right and everybody else wrong.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

It would appear that the NWT is full of mistranslations and contradictions, according to lots of other posts I've read here. Personally, I'm sticking with my King James Version, thanks, it's been around for a few hundred years and I've never heard anyone bash its translation.

For anyone who defends the NWT, can you please direct me to scholarly research and references to support this argument?? I will not believe that the NWT is a viable and legitimate version of the Bible until I see proof from Bible scholars and scholars of ancient languages. If the NWT is an acceptable translation of the Bible, there should be no trouble finding scholarly works to back up that statement.

Thanks!!

-Becka :)

• PMJ
    PMJ

super_becka im sure you will find the website i posred usefull.here it is again http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/newworldtranslation/home.htm

• greendawn
    greendawn

The JWs do not like to draw attention to the fact that Jesus is the name linked to salvation because they are so very jehovah centred, to the point that they appear to be thinly disguised judaism. They are certainly a pseudochristian religion.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Actually Joel 2:32 is quoted in Acts (2:20ff) too (besides the more famous Romans 10:9ff):

The sun shall be turned to darkness
    and the moon to blood,
    before the coming of the Lord's great and glorious day.
    Then everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    (...)
    For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says,
    'The Lord said to my Lord,
    "Sit at my right hand,
    until I make your enemies your footstool.
    Therefore let the entire house of Israel know with certainty that God has made him both Lord and Messiah, this Jesus whom you crucified.

It is pretty obvious that Joel 2:28ff belonged to the list of "proof-texts" of early Christianity, which suppose both (1) the LXX rendering of the Hebrew Tetragrammaton by kurios and (2) the ascription of the title kurios to Jesus. All of this is destroyed by the introduction of "Jehovah" into the NT.

• Rook
    Rook

Super_Becka,

Your on the right track. The JW has no Defense when it comes to providing proof for their Scriptures or Scholars (They have no Scholars). They will take you around in circles to the point where the subject totally changes. The NWT is for cartoons!... but it is a good fairytail.

• ezra
    ezra

you need first to understand what it means to call upon the name of jehovah in order to call upon him you have to be in line with bible principles to be able to call on him in the first place a only those that obey jehovah can call upon him .to call upon him we have to pray to him in order for our prayers to be heard we have to be obedient also to call upon him means we follow his scriptural principles and so forth in the bible and act on them jesus is the salvation that jehovah supplied to us if we reach out for that salvation he bought back with his perfect life what adam has tossed away a perfect life for a perfect life thus ransom sacrifice to make it simpler look how we pray we address our prayers to jehovah god then we pray for things that are scripturally acceptable trto him the most important thing is our spirituality and things that will affect our worship to gain help from his holy spirit but at the end of all our prayers we pray through jesus name because his sacrifice makes it possible to approach jehovah directly thus no more need ofr animal sacrifices.what jesus spoke about on earth was about his father and the kingdom that was his focus so calling on jehovah to be saved in a nutshell means being obedient but we also must recognize and have faith in jesus sacrifice because without that sacrifice there would be no salvation .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit