My wife is a JW, I'm not.

by Mrgij01 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• carla
    carla

Ok, all the heavy hitters are in bed. I'll take it. Sorry, no offense to you intended. Yes, you are a UBM, an unbelieving mate. We have quite a few here. I was never jw either. How long have you been married? You married her knowing she was jw?! wow. I have been married over twenty years now and husband only recently joined this cult. It sure makes life miserable sometimes. First off they are never home with all that the society keeps them busy at! Meetings and field service. Then there is the extreme changes that occur when one joins this cult. You may not see that as she was already one when you married her. Let's see, where to even start?

First off, you may not want to let her know you are visiting 'apostate' sites. But do continue to do so, you will need all the support you can get. Do not call it a cult. Do not tell her you can insert any vowel into 'jehovah' and not hurt the word gramatically as any first year Hebrew student can tell you, they get rather testy at that. Do not hit her over the head with the severe pedophile problem, UN documents, 1914/1918 issue, 586/607 issue, blood issue, Mexico/Malawi issue, Bulgaria blood issue, playing scripture volleyball really doesn't seem to help either, doctrinal flip-flops, misquoting authors and scholors, etc.... etc.....etc.... Do you see you have your work cut out for you?

Research, research and research some more. Get a copy of 'Crisis of Conscience' by Ray Franz, any of Steve Haassan's book about dealing with cult members, look into Margaret Singer and Lifton's for just 'what is a cult'? See http://www.silentlambs.org/ for the pedophile problem, see Freeminds for more info on the organization in general. That is a good start, it is run by Randy Watters a very respected individual in the anticult ministry. There are new sites popping up everyday so you will not be lacking in information. Again, don't call it a cult, in my experience it does not go over well!!!

Before you do anything do some more research and find out about this org. (organization) and how to deal EFFECTIVELY with cult members. I think a few of us did things backwards and have catch up to do with trust, respect, etc...

A few tips for you--- When I first came to these boards I didn't have any idea of what the following meant ( if you already know, I don't mean to insult your intelligence)

gb-governing body of the Watchtower

wt-watchtower (also a catch all phrase for anything jw, sometimes)

jw-jehovah witness

dub-a jw (kind of like georgedubyabush, only jaydubya)

df'd- disfellowshiped, means nobody within the jw's will talk to the df'd person again, including family, even parents

da'd- means somebody basically df'd themself, disassociated themself from the org

org-organization (of course jw)

gb-governing body (you will get to know about them quite well as they control your wife and everybody else

Russell- the originator of this 'religion'

Rutherford or the 'Judge' - came right after Russell

FDS- faithful and discreet slave (they of course think they are 'it'

annointed-special class of jw's who have a heavenly hope (everybody else can only HOPE to survive armageddon)

the big A- armageddon

r & f- rank and file -just your regular jw, probably your wife, they just follow along

ms- ministerial servant- they get to hold the microphone at meetings, I guess this is a big deal for them, really! I think they have other duties but not sure what

elder- the guy who will control your wife and therfore your life as well

jc- no, not Jesus Christ, don't be silly. that is a 'judicial committee, where poor r & f get hauled into a back room for some 'wrong doing' real or imagined

bs- no not that! even if it. It means 'bible study'. Yes, I know they don't actually study the bible only wt's but they like to call it that

There are more, others can add to it.

My own personal way of dealing with it is - over my dead body will my kids ever step foot in a kh (kingdom hall or kingdom hell, depending on your mood) I am very serious about that. Never, ever! That's just me though. Read some of the human wreckage stories for yourself and decide what is best for your children if you have any. I also deliver anti-witness literature to peoples paperboxes and businesses. It won't help my situation but it may stop someone else from going through what I am. And on days when I know I can not alter this situation at all, it makes me feel like I am at least doing something tangible.

Oh dear, this got so terribly long, sorry. I wish you all the best. Look in the 'Action:: Jump to' box for old threads that can be helpful. Jgnat and CYP, Lady Lee,(sorry if I forgot others) has had quite a few very helpful post for UMB's. And last but certainly not least is our very own 'Blondie"! She does and excellent 'review' of Sunday meetings. Get to know the 'character' here, just like a tv show. I see you are a Christian, there are some here but do be careful of a few who have claimed to be, well, what can I say? practically Jesus Himself. If anything this experience will force you to not be any wishy washy Christian but know just what you believe!

Wishing you all the best,

carla

• blondie
    blondie
    She was a JW when we married as is her entire family.

Welcome, mrgij01

I was a nonpracticing JW when I married my non-JW husband and my family and other JWs were in an uproar. You see JWs teach that it is wrong to marry a non-JW and those who disobey the counsel of the elders will suffer spiritually because of it.

I'm surprised that your wife would disobey them in this but then turn around and not celebrate birthdays but that is the type of hypocrisy you will encounter.

Thankfully they have not punished her for marrying you. It sounds like she raised in the JW religion...if that is so and she doesn't understand why they feel birthdays are wrong, I wonder how involved she was and is as far as their doctrine.

She is lucky to have you.

Blondie

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Mrgij01, from one unbelieving mate to another...

alt

A few people you should get to know, M.J., Check_Your_Premises, and jgnat. There are other UBMs here as well, and for the most part we are all just struggling to help each other figure this thing out and find a way to ease them out with as little damage to their faith and hope as possible. On this topic, I know next to nothing and I feel like I'm in kindergarten.

The Listener has helped me a lot, as well. I tend to be abrupt and I don't usually shrink from controversial topics. He helps me see the need to establish a general mode of peaceful support and allowing my wife to have wrong ideas. I'm not explaining it as well as some do, because this approach doesn't come naturally to me. But you will learn a lot here.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• carla
    carla

Forgive spelling and grammar to the spelling police! It's Sunday, (sometimes a bad day for UBM's) give me a break! I didn't proof read. and the wine only makes it worse. yet another thread like this! how awful. And that was me those short years ago.

• Mrgij01
    Mrgij01

Thanks for the crash course Carla, and your kind words.

Yes, I married her knowing she was a jw. I think it depends on the congregation as to how bad it is. I have met some from other halls that made my ears bleed, but none from my wifes.

I also think that my making myself clear from the start helps too.

I really hope your situation ends well, and I am sure we will talk more in the future.

(I own my own business and its way past my bedtime)

• misspeaches
    misspeaches
    Forgive spelling and grammar to the spelling police!

Carla you banana... there is nothing to worry about. In fact I wanted to compliment you on the best acronym list for this site I have seen! I think every newbie needs an explanation of the acronyms... Well done!

• Nina
    Nina

Hello again!

I commend you for not rushing into the fray, bent on destroying your wife's belief system especially, as you state, when you have no other to put in its place.

One of the reasons your wife may become silent when you open a conversation is that her core beliefs are nothing like those of other "Christians". She knows that, if only because she's heard it said so many times at the Kingdom Hall! What may seem like a simple question to you may seem to her like scaling Mt. Everest conversationally; she would first have to bring you up to speed on how JW's understand many different scriptures before she could get down to the topic under discussion.

If you questions to her are concerning why people leave JW's there is an even more compelling reason: if she knows "too much" about the topic she could be thrown out herself! JW's are not given much information when a person is removed from good standing in the organization (disfellowshipped or disassociated). A one-line announcement is made stating that so-and-so is no longer a member; after that it's all rumor, speculation and gossip. If the ex-JW tries to contact a JW in good standing it leaves the JW open to a charge of apostacy for dealing with someone who is no longer on God's side. JW's do not tolerate "apostates" or anyone who has dealings with them. The JW definition of apostacy significantly differs from that of other Christian denominations, if not in fact than in deed.

You will soon note that the people on this board have left WT/JW's for a variety of reasons. From experience I can tell you that no matter how outrageous or outlandish their stories are most of them are true and unembellished. Keep that in mind because if you continue researching why people have left Jehovah's Witnesses you will read some harrowing experiences!

Last note: There is a private message function on this site. Look near the upper left corner of your screen, find the box with your username in it. That's where you will find notification if anyone has sent you a PM. To send a PM to someone on the board just mouse over their username (found to the left of their post) and follow the instructions you will see.

OK I lied...this will be my last note! Sometimes this board erupts like Vesuvius and WWIII combined. Don't let it bother you. Keep reading, keep posting.

Best,

Nina

• carla
    carla

Sometimes this board erupts like Vesuvius and WWIII combined. Don't let it bother you.-------hahaha, ain't that the truth!

• kiddotan
    kiddotan

Welcome

Like you am the UBM, the info here is pretty good. Sometimes alittle off the wall, but generally alot of good stuff. I mostly only come to learn and lurke. But have got through a hugely bad patch with my in-laws by reading this stuff, i have needed to ask alot of questions, cause i find that alot of my questions have already been answered by this lot.

Good luck and I hope you find the info you need.
    Tan

• DaveNwisconsin
    DaveNwisconsin

Welcome to the board, you will find many interesting things here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit