draft letter - editorial comments?

by wasasister 29 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

The following is the first-draft of a letter I would like to send to the Society. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. (Don't worry, I've developed a thick-skin.) Any who would rather comment to me privately can use the following e-mail: [email protected]

Thank you in advance for your comments.
    Dear Brothers:
    I hope you will not discount what I am about to write because I have withheld my signature. For many reasons, I do not want any negative consequences to be inflicted on my family or myself.

I have long been deeply troubled over the Society’s policy of dealing with child molesters in the Christian Congregation. Having been baptized in 1965 and being an active Witness for over 35 years, I have had occasion to see the tragic results of this policy first hand. Up until very recently, a person accused of such a crime would likely not be found guilty by a judicial body unless there were two witnesses to an individual act of molestation. If not found guilty by a judicial committee, the accused could keep their privileges within the congregation; the accusation would be kept secret; and the victim’s family would be discouraged from - or even ordered not to -speak of the incident or report it to worldly authorities. Brothers, you must know how very unlikely it would be that such a sick individual would carry on their disgusting conduct in front of witnesses!

Recently, the following letter from you brothers came to my attention and I quote:

There are, however, many other situations that are connected with the abuse of a child. For example, there may be just one eyewitness, and the brother denies the allegation. (Deuteronomy 19:15; John 8:17) Or, he may be under active investigation by the secular authorities for alleged child abuse though the matter has not yet been established. Then again, a young child might be abused by someone who himself is a minor, perhaps in his pre- or early- teens. In these and similar cases no entry will be made on the Child Protection List. Rather, information should be kept in a sealed envelope in the congregation’s confidential file as described below. When such individuals move, the Congregation Service Committee should write a letter addressed to the Society’s Legal Department seeking advice as to whether to communicate the details to the new congregation.
    (bold mine)

I find the foregoing very troubling. Although your letter appears on the surface to express a concern for protecting children, you again refer back to the same criteria for establishing the truth of the accusation. May I respectfully offer my thoughts on this.
    I do not see how the “two witness” rule from the Mosaic Law applies to Christians, or to any sex crime, especially where children are involved. Even in the Mosaic Law, there were to be exceptions. Sex crimes, are by nature, secret. The perpetrator of course will deny the crime; how many sex criminals will readily confess such an evil deed? Your letter quotes two scriptures in support of the “two-witness rule”. First from Deut. 19:15. But just three chapters later, we read this about the crime of rape:

*** Rbi8 Deuteronomy 22:23-27 ***
    23 "In case there happened to be a virgin girl engaged to a man, and a man actually found her in the city and lay down with her, 24 YOU must also bring them both out to the gate of that city and pelt them with stones, and they must die, the girl for the reason that she did not scream in the city, and the man for the reason that he humiliated the wife of his fellowman. So you must clear away what is evil from your midst.
    25 "If, however, it is in the field that the man found the girl who was engaged, and the man grabbed hold of her and lay down with her, the man who lay down with her must also die by himself, 26 and to the girl you must do nothing. The girl has no sin deserving of death, because just as when a man rises up against his fellowman and indeed murders him, even a soul, so it is with this case. 27 For it was in the field that he found her. The girl who was engaged screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.

So, the girl in the field did not have to cry out…why? Because no one would be able to testify as to whether she did or did not scream. Where are the two witnesses? Keep in mind, this was a capital offense and the accused was subject to execution.

The second scripture is this:

*** Rbi8 John 8:13-18 ***
    13 Hence the Pharisees said to him: "You bear witness about yourself; your witness is not true." 14 In answer Jesus said to them: "Even if I do bear witness about myself, my witness is true, because I know where I came from and where I am going. But YOU do not know where I came from and where I am going. 15 YOU judge according to the flesh; I do not judge any man at all. 16 And yet if I do judge, my judgment is truthful, because I am not alone, but the Father who sent me is with me. 17 Also, in YOUR own Law it is written, 'The witness of two men is true.' 18 I am one that bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me."

Here, Jesus reminds the Pharisees about the “two witness rule” and tells them all the testimony needed to prove he is God’s son is: his father’s and his own. How does this apply at all to having two witnesses to a sex crime? It does not! In fact, Jesus is turning the rule back on them, saying it is not necessary for him to produce other witnesses as to who he is. Notice how Jesus calls it, “your own law”, meaning it did not apply to Christians.

Brothers, as a parent and as a long time member of several congregations, I can testify that this policy has brought harm to children and their families. Sexual predators victimize children because they know little ones can be threatened into silence. Often, these young victims keep quiet until they become adults. This is why the secular authorities in many areas have dropped a statute of limitations in such cases. Also, it has been well established that those who molest children will often repeat their conduct, moving to different areas should they come under suspicion.

Your long-time policy has been to let the congregation handle such matters internally and only if a judicial committee finds the accused guilty is any action taken. I respectfully suggest that this is a criminal matter and is part of the authority grated to “Caesar” to deal with. Our poor overworked elders are frankly not qualified to discern the truth of such crimes. Remember, those who use children in such a way are often master manipulators and skilled at deception. Let the governments deal with these individuals; let their trained investigators determine the validity of a complaint; let their psychologists assist the child victim.

In my many years of serving as a Jehovah’s Witness, I often heard the reasoning that we should never discuss such matters among ourselves as it is not upbuilding. This has been used as an excuse to keep sexual predators protected in secrecy. The scripture comes to mind in Philippians 4:8:

Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are loveable, whatever things are well spoken of, whatever virtue there is and whatever praiseworthy thing there is, continue considering these things.

Yes, we should be “considering these things” now. What could possibly be of more serious concern that attacks on our precious children? Should we not put their interests and well being ahead of any possible reproach on a congregation or organization? Is this not what a Loving Shepherd would require?

I offer these comments in the sincere desire that you alter your approach to handeling accusations of sexual molestation against children. Inform families who might be exposed to such individuals; turn such a person over to “Caesar” to be dealt with; be supportive of families who choose to seek outside help in coping with the trauma; and most importantly, admit that your past conduct has been in error and try to make amends.

Sincerely offered,
    Concerned Sister

• AlanF
    AlanF

Looks good to me.

The only caveat is that the Society normally just trashes unsigned letters. But in this case, you're not so much asking for a response as offering comments, which they might use to accumulate statistics on which way the wind is blowing.

AlanF

• wasasister
    wasasister

Alan: I would love to sign this letter! However, due to false accusations by my ex-husband, they probably already have a "file" on me somewhere. (Can I help it if the jerk wanted to get remarried in a Kingdom Hall?) My real signature would detract from the credibility of the content, I'm afraid. Also, I still have a daughter "inside" and thus the need for caution.

Thanks, tho.

• TMS
    TMS

wasasister,

Nicely done. Hopefully, they have already read it.

Posting it in several public forums like this one and print media may accomplish more indirectly than will be accomplished by the 30 seconds it takes Brooklyn to open and "file 13" it.

TMS

• Tina
    Tina

Excellent ((((((sis))))))))))))
    I'm working on my letter as well. Only diff is I'll be signing mine. I have family in but I really don't care what they think(they know this already).And I'm not DF'd or DA'd.
    Can I borrow a few lines from your letter? Just a couple that use the scrips,that I didn't think of? I won't use them verbatim....luv,T

• wasasister
    wasasister

Tina: Thanks! Feel free to "borrow" whatever you find of merit. I thought the addition of scriptures might get their attention. I'm often amazed at how various scriptures truly condemn the way they've approached different issues.

Hey, they can't really complain; they are, after all, the ones who taught me how to use Scriptures to prove any point!!!

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

EXCELLENT!
    Well written and to the crux of the issue. You are welcome to sign my name as I would be proud to support your thoughts.

• COMF
    COMF

Well done, sis. Clear and straightforward. In the interest of being squeeky clean and lemony fresh, I will make a couple of pedantic observations:

Notice how Jesus calls it, “your own law”, meaning it did not apply to Christians.

Well... there weren't any Christians yet, when he said that. In fact, as a Jew he was under the law himself.

And...

and is part of the authority grated to “Caesar” to deal with.

Likely you meant "grated" to be "granted."

COMF

• belbab
    belbab

Dear wasasister,

You certainly are not wasasister but isasister, a true sister that takes courage to write a most excellent letter.

I understand your reason for not signing, but I would like to toss in a suggestion maybe it would work or maybe not. Do you know of anyone who would vouch for you, authenticate the letter so to speak. It would be like a recognized reporter not revealing his sources. It could say something, my name is so and so and I herein attest that this letter is true etc. etc. It would be like silent lambs authenticating Barbara Anderson's letter on this board. I would be glad to do it, but I believe it would certainly then be filed in basket thirteen.

belbab, appreciating a job well done.

• wasasister
    wasasister

COMF: I recognize a few punctuation and grammer errors in the text. You are correct - I want it to be perfect. Thanks.

belbab: thank you for your comments. However, I know of no one who could vouch for me. I dare not trust anyone with this. It will either remain anonymous, or unsent.

My final draft will be available to anyone who would inquire.

Thank you again, all of you who contributed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit