Why did Jehovah give the job of writing the BIBLE to the Catholics?

by gumby 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• M.J.
    M.J.

Insight cites Clement, bishop of Rome (30?-100? C.E.), Ignatius, bishop of Antioch (late 1st and early 2nd centuries C.E.) and Polycarp, bishop of Smyrna (69?-155? C.E.) as well as Justin Martyr (died 165 C.E.) as gathering the inspired scriptures together into the canon. Also mentioned are Irenaeus, Tertullian, and Clement of Alexandria.

But what they won't tell you is what these fine folks wrote about the soul, judgement, nature of Christ, personality of the Holy Spirit, etc.

• Mary
    Mary
    Gumbaby said: Come on dub apologists.... who and where was the Slave when it was time for the bible to be compiled. Tell me WHY Jehovah did not use them to compile the canon instead of those who did.

Uh, Brother Gumby, can we see you in the back room for a little chat? Actually, I found this little gem in the WT's moldy old books:

*** si p. 302 Study Number 4—The Bible and Its Canon ***

The Roman Catholic Church claims responsibility for the decision as to which books should be included in the Bible canon, and reference is made to the Council of Carthage (397 C.E.), where a catalog of books was formulated. The opposite is true, however, because the canon, including the list of books making up the Christian Greek Scriptures, was already settled by then, that is, not by the decree of any council, but by the direction of God’s holy spirit—the same spirit that inspired the writing of those books in the first place.

Now we knew that they'd somehow try to get out of giving the Catholic Church credit for organizing the bible and sure enough, here's the proof. But let's say the WT is correct in this, and that it was God's spirit that determined which books would be used and which wouldn't be. The spirit would still have to guide SOMEONE to do what He wanted them to do, right? I mean, that's like saying that the men who wrote the bible shouldn't get any credit, because it really wasn't their doing---it was the Holy Spirit.

Well, unless someone is willing to actually write down or collaborate all the writings, then the Holy Spirit wouldn't get very far now would it? So their argument that the Catholic Church had nothing to do with the canonization of the bible is pure garbage and makes no sense.........but then again, this is the Borg, and most of what they say makes no sense.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The spirit would still have to guide SOMEONE to do what He wanted them to do, right?

Could not the holy spirit pick up and carry the various writings that it wanted in the bible? Could it not magically reproduce as many copies as it wanted, bind them together and then distribute them to the true christians at the time? Likely nobody saw these pages flying through the air as the holy spirit bore them. Still, the faithful ones, who also had the holy spirit would instantly recognise that the books that magically appeared before them were the one and only holy scriptures. What a fantasy the whole concept is.

S

• Big Dog
    Big Dog
    Could it not magically reproduce as many copies as it wanted, bind them together and then distribute them to the true christians at the time?

I think you are confusing the Holy Spirit with the Gideons.

• gumby
    gumby

Satanus bastard, ......couldn't it have been produced ...less all the controversy as to WHICH books were "inspired"? And, WHY did it take 4 centuries to compile because of controvery? Could not the spirit operate more smoothly especially with a message as impotant as the Bible?

Qcmbr,

Where in the bible does it say that a bible would be created? Of the top of my head I can't think of any solid biblical prophecy regarding an inspired gathering of scripture by anyone.
    You DO believe the bible is.........another testement of Jesus Christ don't you? Would god be just as pleased had the bible not been written and the 'Book of Mormon' could guide man? If so, how would man before the 1800's have been guided? Gumby
  • The Leological One
    The Leological One
    .........but then again, this is the Borg, and most of what they say makes no sense.

Indeed.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Could not the spirit operate more smoothly especially with a message as impotant as the Bible?

Misspelling, that is impotent important, not impotant

S

• gumby
    gumby

My heads a bit cloudy. It IS friday night ain't it?

* heads out to the garage for more ganja*

Gumyby

• Satanus
    Satanus

I'm doing some myself, tonight.

S

• gumby
    gumby
    I'm doing some myself, tonight.

S

Sooooo.....did ya have it yet? K, back on topic. Why the heck ain't any jehovahs Witnesses answered my threads questions.......ya big cowards! *sticks out tongue and gives the finger fer shunnin him* Gumbastard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit