BECOME A MUSIC CRITIC!!

by Terry 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Clam
    Clam

Hi Terry

Only have had time to download Mystified so far. I really like it. It puts me in mind of TV shows or movies over here from the 60s and 70s, usually involving an amateur detective. I can hear your music being performed as the hero drives a convertible Bentley during the opening credits.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Terry as I listened to POWER & GLORY my mind popped images of Roman soldiers coming back from a battle all flushed with glory and power. High on power as they re-entered Rome. It sounds like movie background music. I liked it. I saw more in this music than I did in the second one.

MYSTIFIED, was interesting and I liked it. I could see a mystery movie music. The play between two different sounds, one soft tantalizing, the other jazzy, like the difference between two beautiful women a man might be drawn to. That is the images it brought up in my mind when I listened to it. I could see a woman quite, contimplative reading poetry. The other jazzy woman dancing graceful like a dancer across a room.

Music usually brings up images in my mind that is what I got. I liked them both Terry, the one called MYSTIFIED was mystifying because the music varied back and forth. Yes I think I liked Mystified best.

Cool talent Terry, you lucky guy.

Balsam

• Terry
    Terry
    I also love making music. I'm currently working on recording my own album. It's hard work, as I'm actually playing the intruments, doing all the writing, singing, mixing, and all that other good stuff.

That's the best way; do it all yourself.

It all started with Les Paul who more or less invented overdubbing. One huge breakthru was Paul McCartney's solo album MCCARTNEY way back when. The era of the singer-songwriter came to blossom.

With the advent of electronic/digital technology alot of people who had been shut out of creative exploration were enabled to make a try.

I do everything from scratch, myself. All my percussion is laid in one note at a time as are the other instrument groups. It can be extremely frustrating. Yet, it is liberating. You find your way through the maze eventually.

For myself, the toughest part is when you cross the line and cannot stand to listen to your own work ONE MORE TIME. You become immune to it. That is when you want help: INPUT. But, nobody likes to hear the criticism. I do--but, many can't handle it. I've changed things from criticism at times, but, at other times I left it the way I liked it.

I like to revisit old things I've done and see what progress I've made can bring to it by way of update.

There is an old saying: "If it is in the music; it is in the man". Music reveals ourself TO ourself. Fascinating exploration.

T.

• Terry
    Terry
    Music usually brings up images in my mind that is what I got. I liked them both Terry, the one called MYSTIFIED was mystifying because the music varied back and forth. Yes I think I liked Mystified best.

Thanks.

I really hate putting titles on my pieces. You know why? It collapses the listener's imagination down to a focal point it MIGHT NOT have done otherwise.

People have an endlessly creative way of receiving and understanding music. I don't like "telling" the listener what they SHOULD think.

I'm tempted to put up a piece of music and have people take turns describing it and putting their own title to it.

Very interesting how one human mind differs from another.

T.

I am more of a performance artest and more of a rocker. However I love all kinds of music and these two kick. Do you have any more? I would love to hear them if you do. You do have the talent so follow your passion, it will serve you well.

Thanks for the listen.

• Terry
    Terry
    I am more of a performance artest and more of a rocker. However I love all kinds of music and these two kick. Do you have any more? I would love to hear them if you do. You do have the talent so follow your passion, it will serve you well.

I have over 700 compositions of all genres!

I've got some really weird hybrid sounds. I don't go for electronica myself, I like the flavor of acoustic style instrumentations--but, always with something just a wee bit radical thrown in.

Here is a weird one for you:

MONSTER MAN mp3:

http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1X5O63JYC4W9H0H0MKHRZRNAHJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit