BECOME A MUSIC CRITIC!!

by Terry 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Here are two entirely different pieces of music I wrote and recorded today.

Please feel free to express yourself as to what it evokes in your mind and whether or not you even like it.

Write as much or as little pro or con.

Thanks!

Terry

Click on the link. It takes you to a download. Open the file and play.

First Composition: POWER and GLORY

http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3U6V4TSVEBGH41D3S3JPYTSQLU

Second Composition: MYSTIFIED

http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0W65YJMYHI0OJ3BNFKXZFTUBNA

• Quentin
    Quentin

POWER and GLORY: Has power...glory subdued...stutters a little...liked it... MYSTIFYED: Smooth...smidgen heavy toward the end...liked it as well... All round good mix of the music... Send cash, no checks...

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

I heard the first one, Power and Glory, and really liked it. It's not my style of music (I play a mix of rock, blues, metal, etc. mixed with elements of classical and jazz on guitar), but it sounded really good to my ears. I'm sharing my computer w/ my wife and may not have a chance to dl and hear the other one just yet, but I can come back to it tomorrow if not. Thanks for sharing~!

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Power and Glory.

I imagined I was in a theater at the opening of some grand epochal documentary or drama. Good variety of emotions.

Fats, who pretends no skills as a connoisseur.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I liked 'em both, Terry. The music in each depicts its respective title to a "t."

Curious. This a hobby or profession?

Frannie

• Scully
    Scully

I enjoyed both of your works, Terry!

POWER AND GLORY: I could almost imagine it being used for a Darth Vader type character... it had an aura of building suspense to it that I really liked.

MYSTIFIED: I closed my eyes and the visuals that came to mind were of ice skaters on an outdoor rink. Very nice, quite soothing.

• Pastafarian
    Pastafarian

Keep up making the music!

Not so much a critisim about your music as a comment about the weakness of computer generated music in general: It is really difficult to put dynamics in and even harder to put in "human" dynamics.

One thing I noticed in power and glory, I can almost imagine a mission impossible type drumming/bass there which would make the music more snappy and less plodding. Your melodies and harmonies sound quite nice.

On mystified I cant quite put my finger on it, but some of the rythmn section shifts don't flow quite right to my ear. Once again thumbs up on the harmony and melody!

This last year I've been hitting the drumming thing hard, which is why im more keyed into that. You said you made both of these in one day? Damn. Grats.

• Terry
    Terry
    Curious; is this a hobby or a profession?

It is a semi-profession which I'm developing. It's my secret dream.

I've had modest successes here and there. Since I do some documentaries, animation, broadcast, etc. and not Pop I'm limited to a narrow field. But, it is my love.

Thanks all for the feedback.

T.

• Terry
    Terry
    On mystified I cant quite put my finger on it, but some of the rythmn section shifts don't flow quite right to my ear. Once again thumbs up on the harmony and melody!

The rhythm on MYSTIFIED is experimental. I'm taking a slow 4/4 and superimposing jazzy polyrhythm on top of it so that there are, in effect, two worlds sometimes overlapping and sometimes not. I find polyrhythm fascinating.

Concerning computer generated music:

It is damned difficult, as you say, to get any articulation in the music. There is no "performance" dynamic to it unless you try all kinds of trick. It can come out sounding like a windup clockwork mechanism instead of a flowing musical line.

Really expensive synth equipment, of course, can overcome this--but, I don't have an extra $40,000 lying around. heh heh heh.

I've tried to put in variation of loud/soft and slow build whenever I can to emphasize the spontaneous nature of music. However, until and unless actual human beings with real instruments play it---it is just cold 1's and 0's.

Thanks,

T.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Can't listen to it at the moment, since I'm at work...

I also love making music. I'm currently working on recording my own album. It's hard work, as I'm actually playing the intruments, doing all the writing, singing, mixing, and all that other good stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit