Does the average JW feel the "end is near"?

by Bumble Bee 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

My hubby recently had a discussion with his older brother. My brother in law told him he wants to reach out to become a MS. He's going to cut down on his work schedule, go out in service more, spend more time with his son etc. He's in his mid forties, has always been regular at meetings and FS, but never aspired to reach out before. I asked why now? He says the time left is short that this world is going to end soon and he feels this is what he should be doing.

He has a pretty good idea about our inactivity. He questioned my hubby about this abit too. We are the guardians of his son if anything should ever happen to them, and wanted to know if we'd "take care of ****" I asked hubby what he meant by that - he said would we raise **** "in the truth?"

I never thought of that before! I have to come up with a good answer to that one. Any suggestions?

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I would say something along the lines of "We would absolutely protect ****'s spiritual interests"

Use Theocratic Warfare right back!

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

I don't know about all the other active JW's, but my parents made a strange comment to me when my husband and I sent them a nice gift: "Oh, you shouldn't spend do much on us! You need to be putting your extra money away for your retirement!" Retirement? I was told I wouldn't finish high school! WTF?? So, I guess Armagettkilled is a ways off...

• Maryjane
    Maryjane

With everything going on in the world today (particularly in the US with the economy on near collapse, the "war", etc.) I suspect many JW's are looking to this as prophecy being fulfilled, look for things to get worse etc. etc.) Any who are in the religion at this point in time will probably be die-hard defenders of the "truth".

Is your friend expecting an untimely demise? How old is his son? To what extent has he already raised him in "the truth"? I assume he made you [de facto] godparents when you were active JW's. Since he knows your current inactive status, I'm wondering why he would even ask you something like that. If he's really that concerned, maybe he should ask someone else to care for his kid in the event something happens to him.

• sinis
    sinis

My hubby recently had a discussion with his older brother. He told him he wants to reach out to become a MS. He's going to cut down on his work schedule, go out in service more, spend more time with his son etc. He's in his mid forties, has always been regular at meetings and FS, but never aspired to reach out before. I asked why now? He says the time left is short that this world is going to end soon and he feels this is what he should be doing.

He has a pretty good idea about our inactivity. He questioned my hubby about this abit too. We are the guardians of his son if anything should ever happen to them, and wanted to know if we'd "take care of ****" I asked hubby what he meant by that - he said would we raise **** "in the truth?"

I never thought of that before! I have to come up with a good answer to that one. Any suggestions?

The Laws of Probability say that if you roll the dice long enough your bound to get Snake Eyes. So yes, you cry "the end is near" long enough it will eventually happen. The trick is finding out when. Today, tomorrow, next year, 50 years, 100 years, etc. However, such statements as you mentioned only reinforce that the WTS is grasping at straws. How can preaching, taking a vow of poverty (cutting work down) possibly benefit you in the eyes of God? Such things are based on works and NOT TRUE FAITH. If they had TRUE FAITH then they would not be concerned with such things.

Personally, I believe this world is sinking more into the grips of a massive dictatorship. Perhaps the $hit will eventually hit the fan, but I look around and see governments doing whatever is necessary to survive economic turmoil. My motto, is live life, be happy, keep God in your mind and heart, apply the golden rule, and when and if that day comes you will have no regrets.

• Think
    Think

SIMON SAY: The end is near! ADVERTISE! ADVERTISE! ADVERTISE! ADVERTISE THE END I NEAR.

Then a child ask Simon aquestion: How you know the end is near? Are you a prophet? NO, I am not aprophet,

But The "TRUe Prophett" JW told me so, an he told me that I MUST BELIEVE, Or I will be destroyed, too.

The Child ask: But how they know WHEN THE the end will come?

Well, they know, because they read the Bible. And in the Bible, there is a DATE: Jesus Christ said: NOBODY KNOW THE DAY AN HOUR, ONLY GOD.

But you should not read the Bible by yourself, because you may learn the TRUTH, I mean the TRUE LIGHT, I mean, they said, you may fade from "THE Faith" better to belive THEM, because they know 'EVERYTHING"

I hope that what I said will hope to hope you to gain everlastin lide on planet Alcoidous,

But they said you must ADVERTISE MORE WHAT THEY SAID, AT LEAST 156 HRS, TO BE RELIGIOUS.

They said, that they give the "NEW Light" only to "CHOSEND" ones, so you are chosedd one..

Advertise to others, so they may die, soo, I mean live forever, on planet Alcoiutos.

Your truly "Brother$" in "TRUE Faith" with new LIGHT COMIN SOON TO CORRECT THE OLD STUPID ONE , i MEAN THE SHINING LESS BRIGHT LIBGT

• undercover
    undercover
    I asked hubby what he meant by that - he said would we raise **** "in the truth?"

"In the truth?" Well, if it was worded exactly like that, you could say, "Yes, we will make every attempt to raise him in the truth." Unspoken, of course, is the fact that the truth would be that the WTS/JWs are not the one true religion and the child would be raised without cult influences.

• joelbear
    joelbear

well, i like the idea of your husband spending quality time with his son, but life will go on, come war, Katrina, earthquakes, etc. so you have to be rational and prepare for taking care of yourselves.

it sounds to me like midlife stuff going on. its really odd how in men they really begin to question the direction of their life in their 40's. i'm not 48 and am coming to the end of this cycle and have thought things through pretty well.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

The average JW doesn't wnat the end to be near. Not with that brand new plasma screen to watch the Superbowl on!!!

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    I would say something along the lines of "We would absolutely protect ****'s spiritual interests"
    "In the truth; Well, if it was worded exactly like that, you could say, "Yes, we will make every attempt to raise him in the truth; Unspoken, of course, is the fact that the truth would be that the WTS/JWs are not the one true religion and the child would be raised without cult influences.

I really like these two answers! Thanks!

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit