House of pleasure /House of pain

by Boxed elder bugs 9 Replies latest social humour

• Boxed elder bugs
    Boxed elder bugs

For me Brooklyn Bethel was a house of pain. When I arrived they were remodeling the Towers Hotel which they had just purchased and they put me in a room with four other guys. Then they put me on the night shift in the bindery. This did not work so well because during the day every day when I tried to sleep their were jack hammers and pounding all day long and finally when the work day was over my roomates returned home from work and turned on all the lights the t.v. and had all their friends over so I never slept for almost a year and started to become disoriented, depressed and more than a little nervous. The street noise also was disturbing, somebody was stabbed to death on the corner of our block and a number of the Bethelites got mugged at night in our neighborhood. You were suppose to carry ten dollars muggers money and if you didn't have it the muggers might beat you up and/or stab you as I heard I heard one Bethelite got knifed in the face. To complain about your health was to be considered to be spirtually weak so I went around dazed and sick for over a year, then you had meetings to attend along with Bethel entrance school and working six days a week, and the Bethel Watchtower studies and other Bethel functions such as the Gilead graduations and invitations to the homes of people in the congregations we attended, I attended a congregation in a neighborhood called Bedford Stuyvestand known for being a fairly high crime area, we were all white brothers attending an all black congregations and even if we were hicks we had to get hip to our surroundings fast. Bethel only provided me with one thin blanket and it was really cold in our rooms, that breeze off the East river in the winter was icy and I am from Minnesota where it gets real cold. Alot of the Governing Body and Bethel big shots drove around in new cars provided by the brothers but nobody cared if we froze at night in our rooms for lack of a blanket. The room itself was full of coakroaches when we first moved in, turn on a light at night and you had plenty of company, I named the biggest coakroaches- Frisky and Lube Jaws, two regular coakroach visitors in the night and I feed them. I once found an abandoned closet with a beautiful anitiques 20's dresser and brought it down to my room, when I opened the drawer it was full or roaches, they eventually cleaned up the Towers Hotel but never quite got rid of them. This is getting to long I'll return to the subject if anyone is intested. Oh the House of Pleasure is here with you on this board. Thanks

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

My, it sounds like SUCH a privilege! :-P

Glad you survived the experience! Glad you're here!

Dave

• garybuss
    garybuss

Go for more. This is good stuff.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hey BEbugs,

We probably know each other. When I returned to Bethel (had to leave to get married, then envited back) I was first assigned to the Towers Construction crew. The WT had just purchased it. I was in the welding dept. Worked with the plumbing dept a while too, making fixtures to replace the main shut off valves. I too was shifted back to the factory, to the machine shop, in a short time. I knew a lot of guys in the bindery, but only the day shift.

When you are feel comfortable PM me and we can talk more details. I'm assuming you have to protect your identity.

Steve

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

great stuff - keep it coming

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Boxed elder bugs

Welcome to the board. I'm amazed at your experiences. I'm with garybuss. Tell us more about paradise.

Dismembered

• Think
    Think

Dear Brother,

We are with you. If you feel pain, there is some problem with your attitude. The solution is very simple: you need to study more WT magazines, meditate on them, and not be lazy, but to spend more time in WT ministry, because this is your only way to happiness. If you can give only 10 magazines to people on the street in one hour, how many will be that in 10 hours? As you can see, this will improve your attitude, and give you more prestige and glory with the congregation, but you have to show more humility also That way, your happiness will go up very quickly, and the pain will be gone. We care about your soul very much.

Concerned Brothers in Brokin

• Boxed elder bugs
    Boxed elder bugs

I'll have to reconsider my attitude and head for the nearest street corner with a brief case full of magazines, and a heart full of gratitude to the Bethel Big Brothers who planted the seeds of 'Newspeak' into my mind and from whose 'training' I can never escape. Your reply to my comment was very funny. BEB

• Boxed elder bugs
    Boxed elder bugs

Hi Steve I just read your reply to my Post. I was at Bethel from 73-74, and I started in the bindery days then went nights and finally went from the scaffold crew to the furniture refinishing shop at the Squibb, where I requested to be transfered out of there due to allergies to the paints and sprays. I was counseled by the elders for having to many different jobs? But I was then transferred to shipping. My name is Joel Hanson. Yes I do kind of like to keep my identity confidential to some extent because my brother is still a local elder and I pretty much have given up that he and I will ever talk, but I feel sorry for my neice she is currently at Bethel last I heard but I never got to know her because my brother and his wife shun me for being out of the Witnesses. Best Wishes Boxed Elder Bugs

• Think
    Think

Dear Brother,

We are with your pain, Thank God you are out of this Babelsevagetower,

you loose nothing good, God love you, never forget that. The Frankenstaintower did everything to kill the faith in people, they are the wolfes looking for free meal.

Keep up faith in God and Jesus Christ.

True Brother in Christ

Rev 18:4 Get out of her and keep out

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit