Is this prophecy by Jesus trustworthy?

by scout575 21 Replies latest jw friends

• scout575
    scout575

In the last chapter of the Bible Jesus is three times portrayed as saying: "I come QUICKLY." The last of these three statements actually reads: "SURELY I come quickly." ( Rev 22:7, 12, 20 ) Does the passage of nearly 2000 years since those words were written indicate that this Bible prophecy is trustworthy?

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Not to sensible people, no. But any JW could arguee that 1000 years=1 day to God, and that that's what Jesus meant. 2 days would pretty fast!

• Franz
    Franz

Why we believe God is an alien who flies in a UFO? Short answer to your question: we believe that Jesus was some type of advanced alien and may have had considerable travel time even at light speed to reach his 'father' (Ha'Sha-Lemech). Also the transit time would be doubled for the return trip(Rature aka Ram'la'Kelza.

• Mary
    Mary

Seeing as it was John (and not Jesus) who wrote Revelation (where this quote is found), I'd say the only question is: how many magic mushrooms did John eat before writing it down?

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

In my humble opinion, yes.

But I can see why the answer might be no for those who choose to have a one dimentional reading, and discount the commonly accepted view that all scriptures have several levels of meaning . Perhaps it is unwise to persist in reading the bible as if it were a 21st century novel, biography or timetable etc.

A Christian perspective:

In the historical sense of such texts, the destruction of the state of Israel and the origin of Christianity in which Christ rules as liberator and king, happens within one generation of Christ's words in the gospel - pretty quick!

In the post-historical sense, there is also reference to when the story of human life on earth has come to an end. Not so quick for temporal beings, but "to the Lord a day is like a thousand years" (2 Peter 3:9).

But what of the spiritual sense, which addresses the heart. In this sense, the parousia, the being present, of Christ is imminent at any moment of time. Many believe from the resurrection Jesus is enthroned on the clouds of heaven (symbolically speaking of course) even though the world carries on. He can appear at any moment - "be on guard! be alert!" The coming of Christ in this sense is the drawing near to God in the form of the risen Jesus. God's self disclosure for those who have eyes to see, who 'are awake'. In this sense it would be strange to think in terms of 'one moment in time' and look for a timetable of some kind.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Short answer to your question: we believe that Jesus was some type of advanced alien and may have had considerable travel time even at light speed to reach his 'father' (Ha'Sha-Lemech). Also the transit time would be doubled for the return trip(Rature aka Ram'la'Kelza.

Right on! Tell us more about this advanced alien theory (py'le'o'poop') and where can I buy a return ticket? (ram'a'lama'ding'dong)!!

• scout575
    scout575

Hi Jaffacake. A good question to ask is: How would the Christians in the first century have understood Jesus' words? Would they have pondered on the so-called "historical sense" of Jesus words? Its a prophecy! Rev 22:12 says: "I come quickly ( not: "I HAVE come quickly ) and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be." The early Christians would have understood Jesus words to mean that soon ( in their lifetime ) Jesus would return and reward them with eternal life and destroy their oppressors ( a prophecy that clearly failed to come true ).

This is the understanding that Paul had, as shown at 1Thess 4:17: "Then WE which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them and meet the Lord in the air." Paul believed that he would live to see the return of Christ and then be taken up to heaven to meet him. This is what the first readers of Revelation would have understood by the prophecy at Rev 22:12.

As 'Almighty God' would have known too well that thats how they would have understood Rev 22:12, why did he allow it to be put in those words? Why didn't he 'clarify' it to them along the lines of your last posting? Does it not strike you as slightly ironic that Paul and the other early Christians were so wrong, so literalistic and one dimensional in their understanding, and yet todays 'mainstream theologians' have the correct and "spiritual"... "Christian perspective"?

• Carmel
    Carmel

..another perspective...

. 'He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white
    raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life.'

. 'He that hath an ear, let him hear ...'. 'I also will keep
    thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the
    world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.' . 'Behold I come
    quickly ...' . 'I will write upon him my new name.' . 'He
    that hath an ear, let him hear ...' . 'I know thy works, that
    thou are neither cold nor hot ...' . 'I will spew thee out of
    my mouth ...' . '... thou sayest I am rich ... and have need
    of nothing: and knowest not that thou are ... poor and blind ...'
    . '... be zealous therefore, and repent.' . 'Behold I stand
    at the door ...' . '... and if any man hear my voice, and open
    the door, I will come in.' . 'He that hath an ear, let him hear"

There seemed little doubt that only those who had 'eyes to see'
    and 'ears to hear' would 'receive' the new name, recognize it, and
    understand it. In the midst of this outpouring, so filled with
    the promise of Christ's second coming, and so laden with warnings
    that spiritual faculties would be needed to perceive the manner of
    His coming, the promise of a new name is given yet another time.
    This time it speaks not only of the new name, but of the new city,
    the new Jerusalem of that day. In these words, all those things
    with which man was then familiar would be changed, just as they had
    been changed in the day of His first coming. Unless a man could
    'overcome' his preconceived ideas, his prejudices, and empty his
    cup of 'former things', he would not recognize the new name and the
    new day. If he could set aside all he possessed and believed in,

Christ promised him the following blessing:

'He that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God,
    and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of
    my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem,
    which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon
    him my new name.'

"Thief in the Night" by William Sears

carmel

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

I never thought I'd be quoting Jim Baker...but was watching his show out of sheer boredom on a vacation and but he said something that made sense about this...

He said that when Jesus said he was coming quickly meant...that once the presence of Christ began...THEN it would all roll very quickly... Unlike the JW's see it almost a hundred years in the making already. So the Presence of Christ up to the New world would take place quickly.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

Short answer to your question: we believe that Jesus was some type of advanced alien and may have had considerable travel time even at light speed to reach his 'father' (Ha'Sha-Lemech). Also the transit time would be doubled for the return trip(Rature aka Ram'la'Kelza.

Right on! Tell us more about this advanced alien theory (py'le'o'poop') and where can I buy a return ticket? (ram'a'lama'ding'dong)!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! ROFLMFAO!! we sure do have some characters here on JWD...

But I can see why the answer might be no for those who choose to have a one dimentional reading, and discount the commonly accepted view that all scriptures have several levels of meaning .

There are always excuses, for the inaction of Bible prophecies, an invisible presence, a presence in your heart . I could chose any of the millions of prophecies of any number of religions and say that they are being looked at 1-dimensionally. A multi-dimensional reading would read all kinds of things into the text that weren't originally intended. Think back to the Nostradamus' prophecies, you can "predict" 9/11 and Diana's death from those. NYC in the webdings font is a skull and crossbones, a Star of David, and a thumbs-up symbol... Its just a coincidence if it happens, and just life if it doesn't happen. I personally attach no value to prophecies written 2 thousand years ago by a jewish man who claimed to be the Son of God. its not my culture, its not my time. You say that "the destruction of the state of Israel and the origin of Christianity in which Christ rules as liberator and king, happens within one generation of Christ's words in the gospel - pretty quick!", but did conditions really get better after this "enthronement"? What is it abouts Christ's "reign" that begun then that is so brilliant and revolutionary that you can actually use that as evidence that Jesus came quickly? I could just as well write a book and claim that (1) i will come along "quickly", (2) that 1,000,000 years equal a day for me, and (3) that i am in people's heart, and it could probably start a worldwide religion, but it wouldn't make an ounce of difference to the fact that i aint coming back. 2000 years / 2 days, really, so what?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit