Gay Marriage Cause No Real Defections In UCC Church

by Enigma One 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

To get back on topic...my only point was that it is not surprising that there was not an exodus from the UCC or the UU concerning this issue. There have certainly been other denominations that have had a different take on the issue such as the baptists, episcopals and some of the more orthodox (or traditional if you prefer) faiths. Thats it...not making a judgement, just making a comment. I hope it generates some meaningful discussion for people.

• Balsam
    Balsam

rwagoner,

We also have a Baptist Church here in town called McGill Baptist church. They welcome gays too and have made it public. They were kicked out of the Baptist Convention Membership because of it. But the Church has grown despite that and few of the orginal members left it oddly enough. I thought it was a bold move, and I was impressed that they had the where with all to defy the bible belt mentality against homosexuality. I realize this sort of event would affect you differently.

UU's have been accepting gays for some time, don't know when it started but it was already long in place when we started going.

I suppose that there will always be Christians on both sides of the fence over this acceptance of Gay folks. I don't personally take the bible as being the inspired word of God, nor take it literally. And I suppose most Christians would just say my husband and I are not Christian at all and that is fine with me too. I think most people are just looking for a community of people they can agree with and feel good being around. I'm sure you have your community you agree with and we have ours too. It's all good in my eyes, but of course that is just my personal opinion.

Balsam

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

rwagoner

I think you have the wrong idea how this works. It is a participation sport. It is not you tossing us comments and watching us.

To express opinions and then say you don't want your opinions challenged (with the implications that has) is you wanting your cake and to eat it.

Is it because you're still clinging to some idea that you shouldn't discuss contrary views with apostates?

I don't think you mean it to come across quite the way you do, so consider this smiley drenched etc. Running past a conversation and shouting something, then refusing to listen to the replies... it's just a bit silly, to be polite about it.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

I didn't say that I don't expect my opinions challenged..in fact in my very first post I acknowledged that I would not hold a popular opinion. I do no choose to debate my opinion. I dont choose to do this because it is an increadible waste of time in most cases. I am an active particpating member of my faith and I respect those who have disenting view and don't choose to fight with them about issues that we each feel strongly about and are unlikely...possible but unlikely to change.

I offered my a comment...if that is how I choose to make use of this forum and I am satisfied with that..then that IS how it works...for me.

You will notice that I am not debating the topic of the thread here...something that I said I would not do...I am responding to comments concerning the definition of meaningful discussion and how I should and shouldn't use the forum which is actually up to me as long as I don't break the rules.

• Anitar
    Anitar

Hi Enigma, it's nice to see you. I was just wondering if you could clarify what are the percentages of denominations in the UCC Church. I'm guessing the Watchtower has nothing to do with it? My applause to them for being so open and understanding.

By the way, on a totally unrelated note, is you avatar really a picture of yourself? Not that I'm looking or anything...

Anitar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit