If we forgive everyone who sins against us, does that not free us from sin?

by DavidChristopher 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

I mean, is that not like having a free pass to do as you please? As long as you freely forgive, when people sin against you, then does that mean our Father will forgive us 99 times when we sin against Him?

Sure wouldn't be hard to convince people to obey that command would it? Hey, that is a really cool command!!!!

Now, obey "OR ELSE!!!!!" LOL!

Am I "out of order" here?

Your little brother,

David

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I think you have perfectly nailed down the implications of some of the teaching ascribed to Jesus in the Synoptic Gospels: that, and "do not judge and you won't be judged" make all the rest ("faith" as well as "commandments") unnecessary and useless.

It's scandalously simple. I wouldn't say it is easy though.

• reaper
    reaper

Rather a trite comment David. Is it really easy to forgive someone who has just killed your son or daughter? Is it easy to forgive the people who just raped your 12 day old baby? Is it easy to forgive the people who have just bombed your whole street and killed your Mum and Niece (exactly what happened to my Mum)?

Saying sory to someone is NOT forgiving that person. The two Guys who raped and murdered the young girl in Thailand said sorry and were laughing about it, until they were sentenced to death.

The whole object of Jesus Ministry was to teach a better vway, and that way was love and forgiveness. In fact I find it very hard to forgive the evil people of this world even though I am a Christian. I find it difficult to forgive the WT Society for lying to my Mum & Dad over 50 years ago and telling them that they will never die. But if I am to be different to their Satanic Organisation I must forgive up to 490 times, not 99. 70 X 7 = 490.

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

Well, Why not let the one who knows hearts and intentions judge them? I would say though, if you have no sin to be forgiven, or have never had bad thoughts, I would elect you to take care of them for me. Or "cast the first stone" if you will. Do you want the job? I am currently taking applications.

• gumby
    gumby

You can forgive an adulterer for being an adulterer but ya can't be an adulterer or you ain't gettin in. And....ya can't be a drunkard or a reviler, or an idolater.... no matter how many time you forgive those that are. Or....you can read the scriptures where Paul doesn't stick his arrogant arse nose in and get 'in' just by confessin Jesus is da Lowd! Hallelluuuuuuuuuuja!!!!

Gumby

• bebu
    bebu

I think the coin of heaven has those two sides in relating to people. Heads, you forgive. Tails, you humble yourself. On another plane, in relating to God, it seems to me the it goes heads, God forgives us our sins. Tails, we 'forgive' God by putting faith in Him. (Emotionally, it is often identical.) Maybe these are some of the ways the 2 'greatest laws' work out, sometimes.

But I agree with the one who wrote that it isn't always as easy as it sounds. How many times do you read a simple newspaper (or a post on JWD!) and seethe? I have to forgive people constantly who never met or hurt me personally. I still hold them accountable to their crimes, though. Forgiveness/love in that moment, for me, is simply desiring that they may overcome the evil that drives them at present, even when I see such heartless destruction to others' lives. To desire wholeness for them rather than simply endless suffering.

bebu

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

What about convicing them what they are doing is not right and is hurting you? Is that a better defense than shooting them? I realize it is not the easy way out, but is it the best way to deal with misguided children?

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Interesting.

Yes and no.

I think the idea is, if one goes out on a sinning spree, with his consciousness fully intact, knowing what he is doing, with the idea that he is going to be forgiven, that might raise God’s brows. (if he has any…)

The thing is if one does that, then that might arise a suspicion as to not only a person’s faith, but just a basic belief. If a person doesn’t believe enough in the first place to at least try to refrain from a certain course of action, then why would he care about being forgiven?

Ok, the idea that if we forgive, than no matter what we are forgiven. Motivation? Forgive others with the intent to be forgiven?

However, that would be the whole issue. A sin is a sin is a sin. Even if your motivation is off, that is in itself a sin. That sin would be forgiven. If you forgive, genuinely forgive another for their act against you, then your act against God would be forgiven.

Is the act of disbelief a sin?

If so, and you continuously forgive others, out of human courtesy (is that a term?), then would that sin in itself be forgiven?

So could one be an atheist and still be forgiven their sin of disbelief, as long as they have been a kind, forgiving person in their lifetime?

Wow, this could go on for pages.

meagan

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I don't believe in forgiving everyone who sins against us. Some people are just plain evil.

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

Can you point them out to me Jehovah?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit