My stepfather died tonight

by Mulan 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have just finished making phone calls informing the family of the death of my stepfather. I was an adult when he married my mother, but I loved him very much. He was a wonderful man.

Although he was a faithful JW, for his entire life (he was born to it) he was a really good man, and a true Christian, I believe. He has been suffering with dementia for several years, but it only made him more sweet most of the time, and only when he became violent was it necessary to put him in a home, this past June. He also had cancer, which took his life ultimately, today.

His name is Henry Zinser, and he was a pioneer (colporteur) from the age of about 14. He was a graduate of the 2nd class of Gilead, and served in The Netherlands after WW2, as the Zone overseer (now called Branch coordinator, I think.) When he came back to the United States, he was a Circuit Overseer in Canada, briefly, and then in Missouri. He and his first wife studied with my parents in 1949 and 1950, when he was the City Overseer in Seattle Washington. When my parents divorced, they found each other, and were married in 1969, and had all those years together. He was very much loved for his intelligence, and his compassion. He had a wonderful twinkle in his eye, and loved a funny story, and often told them himself.

He was a landscaping contractor for many years, after he was not in the full time work any more. When he retired, he continued to work in my yard. My yard will never be the same. He lovingly made it look like a park, every Spring and Summer, until this year, when he could no longer do the physical work. He even made dirt look beautiful.

My children will miss their Grandpa Henry. And I will too. He was 86.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• jonjonsimons
    jonjonsimons

Marilyn,
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Take heart in the fact that he is in a better place, whatever you believe that to be.
    My thoughts are with you,
    Jon

• Kat_
    Kat_

Dear Marilyn,

My sincere condolences to you and your family. Your Stepfather Henry was obviously a very beautiful, loving person, inside and out. I am so glad that you are able to share with us his story and keep the wonderful memory of him alive.

Please know that I will be thinking of you.

Kat

• TR
    TR

Sorry to hear this, Marilyn. He sounds like one of the few good ones.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• Mulan
    Mulan

Yes, he was one of the good ones. I really think his early stage dementia, was one of the factors in our not getting disfellowshipped. He would never have listened to us, and the things we now believe, if he had been in his right mind at the time. In recent months, he would laugh and say he thought we had a good point. Mom would say he didn't know what he was saying, and she was right. I was sorry to realize he didn't really understand.

He was so well known, and respected as one of the "old timers" in our area, that maybe they didn't want to disfellowship his stepdaughter. Maybe I should be afraid?

I told Mom that we won't be going to the Memorial, because we would be a distraction. It also would hurt her so much to see how they act with us. She doesn't believe they are shunning us anyway. I did tell her I will come over tomorrow, and I'm sure she will be inundated with dubs. Oh well!! I will shun them!!!

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• Deacon
    Deacon

Marilyn,

Im so sorry....

• ladonna
    ladonna

((((((((Marilyn))))))))

I am sad to hear of your loss and offer my condolences to both you and your family.

He does sound like he was one of the good ones. There were many good ones in the WTBTS, posts like yours remind me of those; something we should all remember.

Take care Marilyn,
    Ana

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Marilyn - I am so very sorry. My hugs go out to you and your family. I won't push any of my personal beleifs onto you, but I will say this much, he is not in pain and he has rest.

Second, if you love him you should go to the services. He deserves the respect and honor. Slip in after it starts ans slip out before it ends.

• Tina
    Tina

(((((((((((((Mar)))))))))))))
    My heartfelt condolences to you and your family .luv,tina

• species8472
    species8472

My thoughts are with you and your family tonight Marilyn. I'm truly sorry for your loss. Please let Princess know that we are thinking of her too.

Sincerely,

Chris Jones

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit