I Still Don't Get It

by TMS 13 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello TMS,

As ever thank you for your post. I enjoy your writing style greatly. Being the mentally challenged soul that I am, I have only just connected your 'Big Nose' essay with your on-line 'handle'. You have a very special gift, put me on your list for the ARC of your first novel!

In your post you note :

Your illustration of change effected in the organization by legal pressure, Hillary, is a good one, but like most changes I have observed in the WTBS, it is largely semantical. Yes, the specific sin of the banished one is no longer mentioned in the announcement(although a talk on that sin may be later given), but the congregation usually assumes the worst and the person is still shunned

I used a small example TMS, were we to apply this illustration to the changes made in the realm of blood transfusions the past two decades and presently with child abuse issues you can see that much good has come from pressure.

I look forward with anticipation to another choice short story that you might post.

HS

• jurs
    jurs

Hello TMS,

I have been curious about reformers and had thought it to be a lost cause. Perhaps I'm wrong. Pressure, Lawsuits ect. have been effective in the past and perhaps will bring needed "light" to other harmful issues. On the other hand.............................. Blood, shunning ,pedophiles,The lifestyle of JW kids not being able to do much of anything thats fun ,proms, sports, ect. no college ,living life with fear and guilt deeply embedded. How in the world do you reform something so screwed up ? There's so much to reform. I believe the ROOT of all of this and the key to reform is if JW's were able to look and research the information for themselves instead of having to rely and trust completely and without question on the org.
    What I would like to see happen , is to have the public educated about the org. Most people have no idea what the JW's are about. I think the internet, Dateline ( if it airs), and other publicity helps educate people about the JW's. Also former members talking openly and sharing their experienes as well as teaching people what the org is like is beneficial. Hopefully one day it will be recognized as a cult to the public much like how the moonies are a well known cult. If so it will prevent many from joining and leading a conrolled and unhappy life. It would make leaving easier in the aspect that they won't have guilt that they are leaving Jah but that they are leaving a cult. This is the area that I am interested in pursing. People are curious why I left. I have found that people are interested in JW's .
    jurs

• Francois
    Francois

Reform? The WTBTS reform? I think that's a pretty high-flying word to apply to a process that's a whole lot more like weaseling.

What have they ever reformed? When an organization speaks for God, after all, what's to reform? Who's going to reform God?

Take a look at the Talleyman site. These cretins of the "refusal to be self-aware class" have been chiefly engaged in falsely prophecying for well over a hundred years. I see nothing that looks even faintly like "reform." Am I missing something?

Francois

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I think of this in two ways.

One - the WTS is essentially doomed. Eventually it will die out for lack of interest, created by all the nonsense which we are all well aware of.

But that will likely take decades, maybe most of this century, maybe longer.

IN THE MEANTIME - we all have friends, family and just in general people that we would like to help who remain JWs. Can't we make it a safer place for them to be until the inevitable occurs? THAT is my take on the work of so many here. Let's eleviate some suffering while the WTS experiences its death throes.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit