And on the 8th day. God created the Beer Widget

by AlmostAtheist 16 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Have you popped a can of Guinness and heard that fwoosh sound? You have surely waggled the can and heard that little thing knocking about inside?

That little thing is one of the 20th century's greatest contributions to mankind -- the beer widget.

This little guy is what gives Guinness and other "good" beers their creamy head. How does this happen?

Into each can is dropped this little plastic ball punctured with a tiny hole. Then the beer is poured in. Finally, a shot of liquid nitrogen is added and the can is sealed. The nitrogen quickly raises the pressure inside the can, forcing some beer into the ball. The spring is set... now we wait...

Until you pop the top of the can. At this point the pressure inside the can equalizes with the pressure outside, creating the same POP you hear when you open a can of soda. But you also hear a sustained fwoosh. THAT is the beer escaping from the widget, being forced out by the compressed gas. And in the process, it agitates the surrounding beer releasing carbon dioxide and generates the head.

So next time some fool JW starts talking about the world "getting worse and worse", you remind him of the beer widget, bringing frothy heads to mankind the world over. Put him in his place!

All hail the widget!

Dave

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

lmao... who knew??

Jean

• serendipity
    serendipity
    bringing frothy heads to mankind

I guess that's one way to do it....

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Dave, alittle to much time there bud. edited to add: hail the widget.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Almost Athiest are you finding ways to distract yourself???

I love the widget concept too. I found out about it when I cracked a can of Kilkenny a few years ago. I had to know why and what the little ball was for!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>Dave, alittle to much time there bud

A little too much something', anyway.... *hic!*

Dave of the "Lovin' the weer bidget" calss...

• simplesally
    simplesally

I always wondered how they got it to do that!

Um, can you pass me a beer please??

• skyman
    skyman

Who knew I would learn something today.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

So of my best memories involve that crazy little ball. Ever watch a drunk friend try and dig one out of the can? You can't beat that for good association.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Drinking Guiness from a can??????? Now THAT'S apostasy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit