Curious as to what a wedding at the KH is like...

by Riverwatcher 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    At the very first wedding, when Eve was given in marriage to Adam,

What??? Bullshit! I never saw that in the bible.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Anything in a totalitarian ambience is grim even weddings that should be a source of joy had a very ordinary feel about them.

• Riverwatcher
    Riverwatcher

So, how much importance is placed on a J/W couple being married in the Hall? For instance, if they were married in a civil ceremony by a Judge at one point in their life, (like if one of them wasn't a j/w at that point in time) would they be encouraged to someday be "officially" married in the Hall?

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Let me tell you first hand they are dead boring....

First of all if your in the bridal party you get this lecture from t he elders about good behaviour, modest clothes blah blah blah blah blah. Then once someone announces their engagement it becomes this massive popularity contest all of a sudden. Who will get chosen to be in the party, who will get to be ushers, who will get to be emcee etc etc etc. Who will be invited... arrrgh

Finally the big day comes. When I was a bridesmaid the old codger elder performing the ceremony came around to the house while we were all getting our makeup done and dressed to inspect us girls to make sure we were appropriately attired. Another lecture was delivered.

You arrive at the hall. The only deocrations allowed are some fresh flowers. Which are then expected to remain at the hall. The talk is always the same a long and boring reminder of how Jehovah started the whole marriage idea and being loyal and the wife being in subjection and blah blah blah. There is some joke they crack which is always the same. I can't remember what it is now.

After the vows and rings are exchanged everyone comes up and starts trying to get their picture taken with the bride. its very orderly people wait in line for the privelege.

Trust me they are not fancy at all.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

No. If they were married before they joined the JWs, they wouldn't need a new wedding. However, if a JW couple were to have a ceremony somewhere other than the KH, and have a JOP perform the ceremony, they would be frowned upon.

• Sgt Pepper
  • Sgt Pepper
    Sgt Pepper

Awful songs

No confetti

Often no alcohol at the reception

Same talk each time

A very young bride and groom

A good excuse for missing field service

An opportunity to dance with someone of the opposite sex

Despite all this, a wedding was still the highlight of the year - even beating the CO's visit.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Instead of throwing rice everyone throws Tracts and Watchtowers. At the reception everyone celebrates by passing around a single glass of wine but no one actually drinks the wine.

• Candlestick02
    Candlestick02

350 of your closest friends brothers. People you see at the assemblies, who don't even know the bride/groom.

I was once at a wedding where they asked all the brothers to please assist in serving the food. All the women and children sat in this big auditorium (think gymnasium) and the men in suits ran around w/ aprons on to serve the plates of food.

Don't forget the carefully rehearsed mandatory-waltz. Or maybe that's just in the Spanish congregations. (practices were held just as frequently for these as they were for dramas)

I also remember one time when the father of the bride (and mother of the bride) walked her down the aisle, passed her over to the groom and then jumped up on stage and married them himeself. He was fine but got choked up at the end. I THINK my dad wanted to do that with me too -- but fortunately I married out of the 'truth'.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

no honking of horns on the way to the reception.

The reception is NEVER held in the hall

The vows are a legal requirement and must be included (at least in Canada)

Like anything JW related the word "restraint" is a common theme. Anything that smacks or hints of superstition, luck, worldly tradition is forbidden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit