What's so bad about Satan?

by robhic 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• robhic
    robhic
    Well, that depends on the way you look at it…

Could it be that when God created Adam and Eve he intended for them to live forever? If you look at it that way, then God did not lie, since Adam and Eve did die. Not right away, but eventually they did.

Gen 2:17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. [ASV]

What other way can you look at it? It says in no uncertain terms "...in the day that thou eatest...". Sounds pretty straightforward to me...

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

He's a convenient scapegoat for those who don't want to accept responsibility for their adverse actions - including "God".

• Shining One
    Shining One

Robhic,

You made a simplistic, over general argument that must have been done with little analysis. You took literal meanings where not intended and completely missed the point of the lesson in Genesis 3. I will keep this in simplistic terms for your benefit (and for some others as well who do not appear to think very deeply!)

Here is an analogy:

There are two children playing innocently in their home. This home was made specifically to keep them from harming themselves and the parents only had one rule. Do not drink the fluid that is on such and such shelf. They are forewarned that the fluid will harm them irreparably and also ruin their comfy habitat. The parents have employed a sitter to watch over them, paying that person and giving them responsibility. The parents want the children to learn to be responsible on their own but not HARM themselves.

So the parents make the sitter welcome an part of the family. However the sitter has an agenda: she could never have children of her own and is nurturing some jealousy of the parents. The sitter tricks the children into drinking the fluid on the shelf, hurting the children and ruining the home for any future children.

Let’s fast forward to the distant future: the children are now almost dead and their home is well on the way to ruin. One of the parents has already decided they will give up a part of themselves to make the children whole again and restore them as well as their home. The parent takes the pain and trauma yet saves the children. The evil sitter is then cast far away and no longer will bother the children. They have learned and grown up, knowing that the only way to really live is by their parent's wise guidelines.

Rex

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

All great stuff! Have you ever read any books by Anton La Vey? He makes similar points. The Satanic Bible is a great fun read and not scary or spiritistic at all strangely enough. Anything put out by the chuch of Satan is a lot of fun to read especially if you like witty and sarcastic stuff.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

....Oh and in regards to the above analogy, what kind of sick parent would invent a harmful liquid and keep it within reach of children? First of all, sick to invent it in the first place, second, irresponsible and ailing from a severe lack of knowlege about human behavior, not to mention, child behavior and development to put such a liquid within sight, not JUST within sight, but within REACH. Lastly, to leave someone else in charge of the kids knowing full well that without the parents' direct influence and presence the POSSIBILITY that they might ingest this harmful liquid (which was made to taste good by the way, making it a likely thing to want to ingest, which is even sicker) will be higher, or more likely, is wildly irresponsible and careless.

But let's not forget the most important thing here. Reality check. We're talking about an Egyptian/Summerian/North African myth here, not real life. I am of the opinion that anybody who takes the Bible seriously as a historical document instead of the contrived compilation of ancient myths and historical fiction by some Levitical priests shortly before the time of the "Christ myth" was said to have taken place, is sadly behind the times in terms of scholarship. It's barely tolerable that a person believes in any kind of God or spirit these days, but when we start saying crazy things like, "the Bible was written by God, inspired and infallible" or even "more important than other older middle eastern works" it just lets me know that the person saying it is just short on facts. Not that anybody has said that in this particular post series, but sometimes we get going on a bible story as if it really happened or is already proven or even provable, and that just isn't the case.

So in other words: Garden of Eden? talking snake? magic apples? Come on people? I know nursery rhymes that are more believable than that! Santa Claus and the Great Pumpkin are better documented than that rot!

Respectfully athiest, yet strangely sympathetic to the "character" of Satan,

Shawn

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i posted this on a different thread a couple of weeks ago, but no one replied to it. but anyways, it's basically how i feel about this subject:

it seems like everyday that i come to this board, i find myself defending this non-existent satan character. i am floored at the amount of people who actually think he exists. but that aside, he is a really cool mythological creature, ESPECIALLY COMPARED TO YOUR FREAKY JEHOVAH/JESUS CHARCTER!!

ahem.... where were we?

oh yes, is satan controlling the world?

of course not. (you're controlling it! stop blaming satan for your own mess!) but i would be fine with it if he were controlling it. something tells me that we would be a little better off. after all, he invites us to all become as gods, and to obtain knowledge on our own merits (think tree in eden).

why do you think that satanists, of all people, have an incantation like this?

Hail, Satan,

Lord of Darkness,

King of Hell,

Ruler of the Earth,

God of this World!

God Who invites us to become as gods!

Muse of our civilization,

Dread Enemy of its tyrant god!Satan, mighty Liberator,Bearer of true Light!

really now, this satan guy is not anywhere as close to as bad as xians, muslims, jews, and their God make him out to be. am i the only one that smells a conspiracy against satan here? LOL. take a moment, and really, really try to think about all the bad and evil things that satan has done, compared with:

• what we actually know factually he is responsible for.
      • hmm... still thinking.........................................................
    • what Jesus (The God Formerly Known as YHWH) has done.
      • genocide
      • child sex slavery
      • infantile perspective on judgement and punishment of mankind
      • and screw me! the list goes on and on!!

if i go to hell for this (lol, i love talking like this), then you can rest assured that i will be laughing my hot burning ass off at you normies in heaven (bored to no end with your limp angel pals), while i party with satan and have wild kinky sex with demon babes clad in leather.

which brings me to another thought i would like to leave you believers with:

if hell is a place of torment, please tell me why satan would torture and torment people he basically digs? it sounds to me like jesus would have to have some angels down there administrating all the torture. and again, this makes him morally superior in which way again?

MWA HA HA HA!!!

signing off,

tetrapod.satian

• Clam
    Clam

Tetrapod yes I read that on the other string. I thought your points regarding the Prince of Darkness were both cogent and humorous. I should've said that before!

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Satan's the spoilsport - doesn't like to see people enjoying if they haven't "earned" it somehow. Doesn't understand love - it's all a trade of some sort.

spiritual father of the pharisees and the wtbts

and they don't mind dishing out something bad to truthtellers either - because truth exposes them

• robhic
    robhic
    There are two children playing innocently in their home. This home was made specifically to keep them from harming themselves and the parents only had one rule. Do not drink the fluid that is on such and such shelf. They are forewarned that the fluid will harm them irreparably and also ruin their comfy habitat. The parents have employed a sitter to watch over them, paying that person and giving them responsibility. The parents want the children to learn to be responsible on their own but not HARM themselves.

:

Your analogy is similar but the fact of the matter would seem to me to be, as Shawn 10538 points out, what kind of dumbass parent would acquire or make a fatal potion and leave it in sight of their children with only a warning? Not too smart for something supposedly credited with creating the whole world. Why not start with cookies or something non-toxic in case the children don't listen? Who would be careless enough to make the kids' first test a lethal one? Jeez, some freak there! And how would you teach them about fire? Or the dangers of walking in front of a moving car, should they pass the "deadly fluid" test?

And who exactly is this babysitter you mention? I don't remember anyone in the "garden" besides Adam & Eve. Are you calling a talking snake a babysitter? Again, what kind of kook would leave a talking snake (!!!) to watch their kids? Snakes don't know nothing about kids!

Tetrapod and Shawn, good points. Tetra you really have a way with words! All of this discussion is giving satan some good press. Like Gary Buss said -- I like the character satan much better than that of god. Satan is much less violent.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Satan's the spoilsport - doesn't like to see people enjoying if they haven't "earned" it somehow. Doesn't understand love - it's all a trade of some sort.

er, seems to me you have just summed up Jehovah, not Satan.

spiritual father of the pharisees and the wtbts

again, monkey see, monkey do. JWs worship jehovah, ergo the name "jehovah" in "jehovah's witnessess".

like father, like son.

robhic,

TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit