A modern day CASTE system

by LDH 23 Replies latest jw friends

• codeblue
    codeblue

LDH: Great Thread!!!

As someone born and raised in this religion, I never really noticed the "caste system" until I had my first and one and only circuit assembly part.

It was about "informal witnessing". There were 3 of us on the part.

1. Ministerial servant

2. Regular pioneer

3. Just a publisher (me) (that's how they introduced me

It wasn't until we actually did the part (you know how many times you rehearse it) on stage that the words "JUST A PUBLISHER" rang thru my head as if I was at the low end of the totem pole... (sigh)...and it was the first time I realized what they were doing to me.

It's funny how that day was a "defining moment" in my JW life and always laid back in my head that something wasn't right with a religion if they had to put a label on your level of faith.

• Dune
    Dune

1-10 (Child around the truth, Mother a Special Pioneer)

11-17 (Baptized Publisher, lots of priviledges, Watchtower, Mic's, Account, Lit)

18 (All above PLUS consideration for MS until chose to go to college)

19 (Still Lots of Priviledges, Nonchalant, College student I.E Marked.)

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Good thread.....I realized it was a chaste system when Pioneer sisters would greet me at meeting for F.S. by saying "Oh it 's so good to have you publishers come out and support us pioneers" .And the part of being" just" a publisher rang alarms in my head too....Now I'm just marked as something to beware of......

• LDH
    LDH

LOL @ Almost Athiest. Dave, I swear I didn't see that article before I started this thread.

Much like a caste system, those who are a part of one will defend this system no matter what and adhere strictly to its norms (you musn't marry outside of your caste, there are certain ways to treat someone who is not of your caste, etc.)

Yes, it's meant to be used as a barometer by others. It's not indicative of your true personality. For instance, I have known Circuit Overseers who were real assholes, and I have known 'irregular publishers' who epitomized Christian empathy.

"Just a publisher." Something else, huh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit