Electronic "Fun"!!!

by MadApostate 10 Replies latest jw friends

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

No, you perverts, this thread is not about sex toys!

All of us have probably experienced sitting in the KH listening to some boring talk when all the sudden the sound system picks up a shortwave, CB, police, ambulance, other type radio transmission.

Do we have any electronics experts here that can explain how/why this occurred; what types of stray signals sound systems are most susceptible to pick up; can filters be used to prevent such; etc., etc.

Can you imagine the "fun" one could have by driving slowly by your local KH during the Public Talk, and blasting the sound system with: "If you want the real truth about JWs, call 1-800-why-1914."

Of course, I'm sure this violates some fcc reg, but if you only did it once a month at different meetings, you likely would never be id'ed.

Bored and ornery.

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

HAHAHAH!!!!!

I have never heard this at the hall I attended...what a hoot!

• one
    one

Unlikely but it may happen in old and/or very poorly installed sound system. Specially if there is an strong rf signal, such as from a nearby CB or broadcast radio station.

Did you read the old Awake (watching the world)issue about the guy who had dental work (metal employed most likely). He started to listen to radio stations without a radio. The metal(s) in his mouth accidentally became a radio (detector)demodulator/receiver.

BTW your trick can be done easily on sound system using a wireless mic...

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

CB operators can get signal boosters that would make their transmition bleed through. A friend of mine used to use his whenever he would pull up behind some hot girl in a car. He would speak and she would hear over her stereo.

I uses to love when that happened at meetings. LOL DEEMONZZ!!!

Slayer

• rem
    rem

Just some information about hearing radio transmitions through dental fillings:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_057.html

rem

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so."
    ..........Bertrand Russell

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Just any ol' wireless mike would feed into a kh sound system?

From a moving auto?

Cost?

• Duncan
    Duncan

The best story that I can recall to do with this radio-signal-interfering-with-the-KH-public-address business happened in my local Hall in about 1974.

It was near the end of the Thursday night Service Meeting, which had – as usual – run overtime. It was supposed to finish at 9:15 and it was around 9:25, no end in sight. It was the practice of some single sisters (I mean, husband not a dub) without cars to arrange for a taxicab to take them home….

So brother Whoever-it-was is droning on about some loving provision from Jehovah’s Organisation when all of a sudden, over the loudspeakers and as clear as a bell:

“Two-Seven to Control. WHAT time did you say?”

A second or two of silence (The speaker had stopped, and we couldn’t hear Control’s side of the conversation)

“Well, I’m outside the Kingdom Hall now. There’s no one”

A little ripple of nervous giggling from the audience now, and our intrepid speaker had recovered enough to say something like “I think we have some interference!”

The next line from the cab driver Two-Seven was a killer though:

“Blimey, mate! I’m CERTAINLY not going in there to find out!”

This brought the house down. A huge laugh. I did notice a couple of brothers jump up to go out presumably to talk to Two-Seven. There were no more interruptions.

Everyone was talking and laughing about it all week, but the postscript is, the next week the CO visited and someone had obviously told him this story. He made a pretty damning denunciation of the “brothers in charge of the sound system”

- What if the Worldly Person had used swear words? He asked.
    - And - even worse! - What if this person had used swear words, IN THE MIDDLE OF A PRAYER?

We all felt thoroughly ashamed at our immature, faithless laughter the previous week.. This was a serious matter and we had offended Jehovah.

The system got replaced, and I can’t remember there ever being any other similar incidents.

Duncan.

P.S. I’ve just re-read this, and thought to myself - if this was an assembly experience, it would end up with:

“And driver Two-Seven got baptised this morning!”

Sustained heartfelt applause….

• mustang
    mustang

MA,

We call it "Audio Rectification", usually. A strong signal overloads the 'front end' of the audio system. It 'detects' the RF (radio frequency') & that becomes audio, which replaces what the amp normally should reproduce.

I've also seen it w/ poor or corroded connections.

Could be fun, yes; it is illegal if you do it purposely.

Mustang
    more later, in a hurry, will really read comments

• mustang
    mustang

Duncan,

I definitely had something like this happen to the sound system I worked on at an assembly. It was only a poor connection in an old amplifier we were using in the cafteria. The local radio station
    started coming in, quite clearly.

MA, I won't offer any tips. FCC codes & my ol' license require me to caution you on this. Purposeful interference is a felony, violating the Communciations Act of 1934. It was ammended in the 80's, I believe, but that didn't change.

Mustang
    Sorry to be a party pooper

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Mustang:

Heavens forbid that me or someone else violate the Who-gives-a-rats-ass Act of 1734.

I'm sure the FCC has better things to do than track down an occasional, seconds-long interference of a Kingdom Hall sound system. Of course, with all the "political power" that JWs wield, I could be wrong.

Let me guess. You are probably a ham-radio hobbiest. I know the mindset.

Say hello to your fellow hobbiest Raymond Schneider for me the next time you talk to him. I believe he is special pioneering in WV. That asshole was sent to Gilead, but life was just too hard down there. That's what happens when mommy's little rich boy never has to work a day in his life to earn a living. Better to just drive around the beautiful hills all day long trying to find an illiterate to deceive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit