an infuriating email forward re. atheism..

by GetBusyLiving 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Rig Boy
    Rig Boy

I'm going to be Frank. The Watchtower grooms you into accepting atheism if you don't like the borg cult. It is the created and controlled opposition. One deception for another. See: Link: Atheism: Is it the created and controlled opposition to Jehovah's Witness?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

LMAO! That is just stupid! According to the allegory one should be able to experimentally demonstrate that the teacher does or does not have a brain by opening his head. Using the same logic one should also be able to perform an experiment to demonstrate that god does or does not exist.

Too bad the writer has absolutely no idea how to setup an experiment to demonstrate the existence of a god.

What a dumb ass.

• FairMind
    FairMind

I thought it was cute. It certainly put the teacher in her little dogmatic place. GBL, I believe the reason it upset you is because you feel so strongly that evolution is a fact.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I thought it was cute. It certainly put the teacher in her little dogmatic place. GBL, I believe the reason it upset you is because you feel so strongly that evolution is a fact.

It's only cute because the teacher's an idiot. Trouble is, this teacher is not the norm among evolutionists. Hell, I don't believe everything I DO see, much less deny everything I can't see.

The story is premised on an authority making stupid statements that such an authority wouldn't make.

Dave

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

FairMind:

I thought it was cute. It certainly put the teacher in her little dogmatic place.

You do understand, don't you, that the teacher in this story is an invention of the fundamentalist who wrote it? I've never heard of anyone using such a simplistic argument as "If you can't see God, he doesn't exist".

GBL, I believe the reason it upset you is because you feel so strongly that evolution is a fact.

It is a fact, althought that has nothing to do with whether gods exist or not.

I can't speak for GBL but the reason stories like that bother me is that they proudly and smugly display a mind-boggling level of ignorance. It's trite, it's unrealistic, it's poorly written, the teacher's argument is a classic strawman, and the pupil's isn't much better. And yet people lap it up. Some people's ridiculous beliefs are actually strengthened by nonsense like that. It upsets me to belong to the same species as someone who thinks forwarding that is worthwhile.

• FairMind
    FairMind
    It is a fact, although that has nothing to do with whether gods exist or not.

This statement that evolution is a fact is simply not true. IMO it proves the truth of the Bible’s statement that God’s existence is proved by creation and makes the denial of His existence inexcusable.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    It certainly put the teacher in her little dogmatic place.

Too bad, according to the logic, the little girl does not have a brain either. In fact, according to the "logic" NO ONE has a brain since they cannot be seen without splitting open their head.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    IMO it proves the truth of the Bible’s statement that God’s existence is proved by creation and makes the denial of His existence inexcusable.

Hypothetically, if you one day came to believe that evolution was a fact, would that prove to you that God didn't create the universe? (It doesn't prove that to me, and I do see evolution as a fact.)

Dave

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I am a Christian that believes God has used evolution to create this world. I do not understand why more Christians find Christianity and evolution difficult to bridge. It doesn't seem that difficult.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Fairmind:

This statement that evolution is a fact is simply not true. IMO it proves the truth of the Bible’s statement thatGod’s existence is proved by creation and makes the denial of His existence inexcusable.

Let me get this straight. You think that my statement that evolution is a fact proves not only that the Bible is true and that your god exists but also that there is no excuse for believing otherwise? What?! Did you write the teacher story?

Like I said, the observable, demonstrable, reproducible fact of evolution has nothing whatsoever to do with the existence of gods. Why is that so hard to accept?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit