Who will be resurrected according to the WTS?

by M.J. 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• M.J.
    M.J.

I was wondering what the WTS's stand is on who will be resurrected into the "new system". Because of the assertion that people have been "freed from sin" upon their death, shouldn't just about all people who ever lived deserve a resurrection?

The only ones who won't be resurrected, according to the WTS, are those who commit the unforgiveable sin:

*** g75 10/22 p. 12 How Can You Benefit from This Hope? ***

Not all who have died will attain to a resurrection from the dead. Jesus Christ indicated that there was no hope for those who sinned against God’s spirit. He said: "Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven. For example, whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things nor in that to come." (Matt. 12:31, 32) There being no possible forgiveness for sin against God’s spirit, all who make themselves guilty of such sin pay the full penalty for it by remaining dead forever.

Compared with the billions who have died, few of mankind have become guilty of a deliberate practice of sin that God views as being unforgivable. Still, the fact that such sin is possible should make one aware of the folly of taking risks by deliberately disregarding God’s commands. Faith in God’s promise of a resurrection from the dead restrains one from committing the unforgivable sin, thereby losing out on life for all eternity.

But it seems the WTS is intentionally vague in this article on what exactly constitutes the "unforgiveable sin" and who will share in that sin.

Also, will anyone destroyed at Armageddon be resurrected, according to the WTS? Why or why not?

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

However, since God is the Judge, there is no reason for us to try to figure out whether certain wicked people in the past or in modern times will be resurrected or not.

I couldn't help but find this quote amusing (pe 166-174 "Resurrection--for Whom, and When?") considering the lengths they go to both before and after it, as well as in lots of other literature, to explain in detail who will and who won't.

They were never able to clarify the unforgivable sin for me either, i.e. blaspheming against the Holy Spirit. Another quote from the same source:

Persons who willfully do what is bad after knowing God’s will may be sinning against the holy spirit.

~Merry
  • lucifer
    lucifer

Not me lol, i would always say to mom when we got in fights about going to me going to meetings/service that i wasn't going to survive anyway

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Watchtower 3/15, 1965:

Such "goats" who get executed at the destruction of Babylon the Great or in the battle of Armageddon will not go into "everlasting life" in any form, nor even in endless conscious torment. Being destroyed as by fire, they will have no resurrection.

This was repeated over and over down to the 60's, but not so clearly later. Don't think the official teaching has changed though.

• carla
    carla

This is another frustrating topic for me. Husband says, 'nooobody know' and that is the official line of the wt. However, I have read and spoken to enough exjw's that the belief is that anybody not jw will not survive. I have showed him a number of wt that say 'only jw's blah, blah,..' He thinks today he is doing pretty good and will probably make it, but who knows about the next day. just banging my head here.

• greendawn
    greendawn

In several places the Bible states that ALL the dead will be resurrected so I don't know where the JWs got the idea that some will not be. Even those that got burnt at Sodom will be brought back to life.

The point is those that committed really grave sins will find it hard to act repentantly and escape the second death ie to correctly utilise their second opportunity for eternal life.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I forgot to mention the leaders of the WTS will be among those that will not do well after their resurrection due to a very guilty first life.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Greendawn,

True, I don't think that the Bible anywhere excludes anyone from resurrection. It appears the WTS just constructed this one together to fit their theological puzzle.

John 5:28-29 "Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.
  • Honesty
    Honesty

OH NO!

Don't tell me they have got this all wrong, too.

Heb 9:27-28 And just as it is appointed for people to die once—and after this, judgment— so also the Messiah , having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for Him.

John 5:24-29 “ I assure you : Anyone who hears My word and believes Him who sent Me has eternal life and will not come under judgment but has passed from death to life. “ I assure you : An hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. For just as the Father has life in Himself, so also He has granted to the Son to have life in Himself. And He has granted Him the right to pass judgment, because He is the Son of Man . Do not be amazed at this, because a time is coming when all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come out—those who have done good things, to the resurrection of life, but those who have done wicked things, to the resurrection of judgment.

• greendawn
    greendawn

That is the verse I had in mind about the resurrection of ALL the dead, it doesn't say there that some will not be resurrected, not even Adam and Eve are excluded. It's one more piece of charlatan theology, perhaps they want to really frighten the R&F with the Armageddon story and then manipulate them more easily.

OK eternal death is not as hard hitting as eternal hell torments but it is still unnerving enough. If I die at Armageddon and get resurrected later that is one thing and quite another if I die for ever. So there is an element of subtle emotional manipulation in painting that picture of a crushingly final armageddon with no resurrection possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit