JWs and depression

by jstalin 18 Replies latest jw friends

• divejunkie
    divejunkie

I think the high rate of depression has to do a lot with frustration (personal, professional, sexual, etc)that many people feel, depravation, constant feelings of guilt, the repressed anger, etc. that a lot of people feel at one point or another but refuse or are afraid to admitting or even acknowledge on account that "we are not supposed to feel that way".

• feelinsketchy
    feelinsketchy

What's there to be depressed about?

Your life is worthless, there is nothing that you can do about it and you can't even trust the elders to show any kind of empathy. What's more, you have the sword of Damacles hanging over your head. If you're looking for spiritual healing you'd be better off being an altar boy at a SanFrancisco parish. At least it wouldn't hurt as much.

• cheen
    cheen

When I was associated with the witlesses, depression was widespread, it was so bad that the women were even sharing their prescription paxil,zoloft, etc....with the other women in the hall who were "depressed", isn't this illegal?

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I believe a good friend with a Listening Ear is just as good as a psychologist. The Sad thing about the JWs is there is NO Such Thing as a Good Friend because they''ve been conditioned to "Rat" on each other.

When I was a JW, they were discouraged from obtaining professional help; I doubt that has changed. The only solution is to "Hold it In" and that's not Healthy emotionally or physically.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Hi an welcome cheen and the other new ones too!
    It may be different in your country but over here sharing your meds. isn't illegal, the problem is that letting someone else use an anti-depressant that isn't prescribed for them can pose a medical risk. Particularly if tri-cyclics are mixed with MAOI types. Each anti-depressant is prescribed to deal with particular symptoms that may not present in the other person.

Pete

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I meant to say Hi to brigid and joyal!!!

I remember saying to someone in my congregation once that we seem to have quite a lot of 'odd' people in the truth and she replied that it was because we are the only ones who will have anything to do with them!!

But I think if you have a pre-disposition towards depression AND perfectionism you're in for a miserable time as a witness. You will NEVER do enough F/S, study, R/V's, prayer. Not only that, the quality will NEVER be up to scratch. You will add society imposed fear and stress to your already overburdened self esteem. And there is nowhere else to go but down. Suicide looks like a reasonable way out.

The love-bombed 'odd' don't have to worry because they are not aware that there is anything to worry about.

• montana96
    montana96

I am having a great time chatting to all you guys, I am new here so I have lots to say.

I think jws are depressed because you get worn out with everything we need to do, field service, tlaks reading all literature then trying to raise your family!Alot of my friends were depressed and I found that really hard as I am a bit more happy go lucky.

Also alot of our friends in our age group truly believed Armageddon would have here by now, we wouldnt get old etc etc.So there is alot to be depressed about as many our age were just living for today and not planning for the future. Then all of a sudden you wake up and go where am I going?

• Joyal
    Joyal

Brigid,

Technically I am still "in" but mentally and emotionally I am trying to get out. I wax and wane between wanting to just walk in there and quit to doing the "fade". I'm on an emotional rollercoaster from day to day -- anger, frustration, saddness, defiance -- the full gamut of emotions. Just completed CoC so I guess I'm still in a state of shock trying to digest all that I have learned recently, after spending thirty years as a JW.

I'm reading all the "alternative" material that I can get my hands on and I keep repeating to myself that it will get better in time. That's what I'm hoping for.

Joyal

• garybuss
    garybuss

It's a disease. It's called Witnessism. It gets in through the ears.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit