Underground vaults of Edinburgh

by Virgogirl 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

The Travel Channel aired a show, "Most Haunted" featuring the city walks and horribly, macabre underground vaults of Edinburgh. Supposedly the poor lived beneath the streets in caves and caverns where robbery and murder took place. The ghosts said to roam the underground rooms are angry and agressive with visitors, sometimes touching, pushing, or calling their names. For all you UK cousins, have you, or friends or family members, experienced this place, popular with tourists? Can you recommend a visit, or do you think it's over--hyped to lure us Americans across the Pond?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Never knew the place existed - I have been to Edinburgh - you can always visit the grave of Greyfriars Bobby

• slugga
    slugga

Scotsman will tell you im sure <g>, the places are tourist traps. There are dozens of places like this around the Royal Mile in Edin. Some do the "ooo sppoky walkabout" thing and others tend to focus on the history around these buried streets. If you are into social history go, if its the ghosty thing, save your money because the only thing spooky down there is some poor student in a monks habit making groaning noises to scare yanks.

Soap Dodging Matt

• slugga
    slugga
    you can always visit the grave of Greyfriars Bobby

Or knowing Virgogirls passion for kilts she can go see some "Boaby" LOL

Sorry

Matt

I don't believe I just wrote that... lol

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

Haha, Matt! They showed some "excellent" shops where a Yankgirl such as myself can buy a (sniffs) uh, plaid, er, Tartan! Maybe the groaning in the vaults is due to some making out in the dark down there, by the sconces!

• slugga
    slugga
    Haha, Matt! They showed some "excellent" shops where a Yankgirl such as myself can buy a (sniffs) uh, plaid, er, Tartan!

Grrrrrrrr *Shakes fist in a grumpy old man way again* hmmm maybe you should visit those kilt shops and ask to see some boaby too. lol

Oh those shops are all Rubbish !!! selling rubbish at really expensive prices. Theres a huge tartan mill at the top of the royal mile that is one HUGE tourist trap you can buy everything in your clan tartan in there and even have your picture taken in the full kit, complete with claymores .

If you REALLY want a kilt head over to Glasgow, the people are so much nicer and down to earth and go off to a decent tailors and get yourself suited up.

Seriously though If you do come over do visit Glasgow, if you're into hiking do the West Highland Way, see Loch Lomond, get drunk to the piper at the Drovers inn in Inverarnan, visit Glen Coe, get wet, feed the midges, get chased by feral goats in the highlands and bloody well enjoy yourself :)

*This has been an advert on behalf of the West Highlands Tourist Board brought to by the JWD*

Matt

• scotsman
    scotsman

Virgogirl

My friend used to manage Mary Kings Close which I guess was on Most Haunted and yes it's geared towards tourists. I was in it before it became open to the public and yes it was creepy, like a lot of deep, dark abandoned places but not spooky. The tours are geared to give people frights and can be entertaining.

If you choose to follow Matt's suggestion and shop for a kilt in Glasgow, you're also far more likely to be stabbed or shot by the firiendly Weegies.

• slugga
    slugga

Nooo I don't believe you just said that!!! She could always stay in Edin and drink tea with the rest of the little old Edinburgh Lady's, pretending so hard to be English and "cultured <g> lol The best thing about Edinburgh is the M8 back to Glasgow :) Matt

• scotsman
    scotsman

It'll also rain.

Look at the stats Matt!

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Speaking of that show- I'm a "Most Haunted" addict! I've taken to recording them on the DVR every Friday and watching them at night with my hubby. Sometimes it's just halarious to watch, the host freaking out over every little noise is a hoot, and other times it's just super creepy with their glowing night vision eyes and extreme closeups.

The episode that I liked the best so far was about the Rams Head Inn- spooky!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit