Old committee notes.

by Gregor 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gregor
    Gregor

As an elder in the late '70's I served more than my share of time on Judicial Committees. The JC was made up of three elders: The presiding overseer, WT study overseer and Bible Study overseer. Since these positions rotated yearly, the average elder would serve three years straight on the JC. Due to various circumstances, I served almost five years in a row. We had a congregation of about 100 pubs., almost 200 meeting attenders counting the children, unbaptized family members, etc. These were middle to lower middle class people, a lot of young families, teenagers and a nice mix of old timers. We had our share of dedicated sisters with unbelieving mates .

It was my luck to be serving during the time when the GB was handing down a lot of nitty gritty no-no's of sexual conduct, i.e. Certain sexual practices between married people, masturbation, a homosexual mate was NOT grounds for scriptural divorce, fine points of sexual conduct that might or might not be grounds for divorce (a married brother having an intense 'wet' affair with a another woman was not nice but it wasn't grounds for his wife to divorce him if he didn't "put it in".

Well, they came out of the woodwork. We would be approached regularly by brothers and sisters who were affected by all of the above. How would you like to spend dozens of hours over a period of months and years having both informal ("Brother Doe, could I/we speak to you in private for a moment?") and committee meetings with brothers and sisters on these intimate topics:

-A sixteen yr old boy who can't stop masturbating. Underwear ads in the Sears catalog would set him off. He tried to quit and couldn't. Every time he slipped up he would come to us to ask for help (almost weekly) We had to tell him it was very serious and he needed to stop wether we personally thought it was serious or not.

-A 68 yr old brother whose wife had cancer. He had the same basic problem as the 16 yr old boy. He would cry. He died 1 month after his wife passed away.

-An attractive young married couple who felt they needed help from the elders to help them stop performing oral sex on each other. This went on for months.

-A young sister whose husband forced her to perform oral sex, which she had been doing willingly until the WT came out. Then, overnight, giving him a BJ became an issue as serious as a blood transfusion. Did she have grounds for divorce?

- A beautiful, sweet young woman with 2 children had a selfish, controlling, asshole husband who was not baptized but came to all the meetings. She was on the verge of a nervous breakdown and was confiding her problems to an older sister whom she trusted. One day after a couple of glasses of wine, the older sister seduced her into some lesbian acts. This young woman fell apart, I'm sure she would have been diagnosed as having a nervous breakdown if she had gotten professional help. She came to us and confessed and was unconsolable. She never recovered. Her health fell apart. She died a few years later when she was in her early 30's.

There were many more, but my point is that within a very short time the WT Society backed off on many of these issues. Unfortunately, the damage to real people, good people, had been done. The almighty Watchtower juggernaut rolled right over them with no apology or acknowledgement of the turmoil it had caused those who tried to obey every word they published.

One evening about a year after I was DF'd I took a glass of wine and my old committee notebooks out to the patio and burned them page by page on the BBQ. By the time I was finished I had tears running down my face and it wasn't because of the smoke.

I hate the Watchtower Society, they have hurt a lot of good, honest and sweet people.

• Confession
    Confession

Thanks for your memories, Gregor. I too was looking over some old committee notes recently. I was also reading some things I typed up while still in the WTS mindset. It's hard to read, but ultimately helpful in understanding what I've been through.

I wish you peace and health, as I try to gain the same.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Hello Gregor. The mistakes the WTS has made are bad enough but the revelation of their true character is they don't admit error, they don't apologize and they retaliate in a brtual way if you complain. They are beginnig to see their end because Jesus was right, "the truth shall make you free".

• LDH
    LDH

Gregor,

It's nice to meet you. I'm glad you're here.

-An attractive young married couple who felt they needed help from ;the elders to help them stop performing oral sex on each other. This went on for months.

Actually, this struck me as hilarious. Could you see a 'closet apostate' young JW couple torturing the elders with their repeated and salacious descriptions of their 'perverted' sex acts that they just 'couldn't control.' Over, and over, and over!

I'm thinking this would be a great practical joke for an outgoing couple. Tell the local body all about your hot and heavy oral sessions. Repeatedly..... Then when the 'brothers' tell you Jehovah doesn't care anymore where you take it, INSIST that this used to be a df' offense and you are so scared!

Details, people!!! Give them details. They will have to run out to their cars and whack off, and then they will be the ones asking for forgiveness.

LOL!

Lisa

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

WOOD IS NOT ALLOWED IN A JC MEETING DONT YOU KNOW?

• willyloman
    willyloman

Oddly enough, we moved recently and in cleaning out a bunch of desk drawers I reviewed, and tossed, many pages of JC notes... but not before I read them, some for the first time in 20 years. I should have probably posted them here, or kept them for future reference, but I felt dirty just holding them.

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

You naughty elders --holding on to your notes. I guess that is why we were instructed to put them in the sealed envelope in the cong file. Look at the grief you would have been spared if you had just obeyed.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Gregor,

Thanks for posting this. A lot of the people here were on the other side of the JC room and feel worse about their experience then we do. But it is good for you all to come out and show such feelings.

We all did what we thought was right. The young couple reluctantly reporting what they thought was a sin, and the elders (some of them) reluctantly playing the role of judge and counselor. There were some among them that seemed to enjoy that part of the job, and others who would come home sick to their stomachs and loosing sleep.

I hope we are all past it enough to sleep now.

Steve

• Nina
    Nina

Why did you still have old committee notes a year after you were disfellowshipped? Aren't they supposed to be collected, one copy put into the packet to Brooklyn if the person is disfellowshipped, and the other copies destroyed?

Nina

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

Even though at elders schools, co visits, etc there is at least lip service given to confidentiallity, when an elder leaves, what happens to your confidential info?

B

(I posted this on another thread earlier, but it is even more appropriate here) As an elder I hated the whole JC arrangement. I think that being on that side of the table helped me to realize what a man made setup it is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit