Daughter let a JW in

by Emma 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Emma
    Emma

..by accident. It's her second day in Paris. Someone rang the bell, she thought it was a friend of hers. When she didn't recognize the woman, she thought she's rung the wrong bell by mistake. Then she saw the rags and told her NO, and politely showed her the door.

She's never had a call here at home but had to go across the ocean to be "contacted."

Emma

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Emma, they came to our house for the first time ever after I was married. It was when we moved to Nicosia, Cyprus in 1965 and my now ex-hubby was in the Navy. We lived at No. 8 Ionos Street in Nicosia.

Of course, I wasn't interested then.

Frannie

• Emma
    Emma

Frannie, it's amazing that you remember that.

I think I've had two random "calls" in the past nine years. No tracts in the door, nothing. They can't be serious about "covering the territory" around here. I remember that it used to be more counting time than anything. I wonder if things are different abroad. Is the witlessing work taken more seriously?

• Mum
    Mum

In Paris, one should say (if choosing to be polite), "Vous etes trompé de porte." "Je ne parle pas francais" is good as well.

It's funny that I've had the same experience, expecting someone and it turns out to be the publishing company's "publishers."

Regards,

SandraC

• Emma
    Emma

The last time I had a call, it was actually my daughter I was expecting. When the bell rang, I thought she'd forgotten her key. I flew down the stairs in my robe with my wet hair wrapped in a towel. It was two "sisters" who apologized sweetly for waking me up. I told them they got me out of the shower, not "up"; they really expect they're the only ones up on a Saturday morning! Smug and self-righteous..

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

They have some sort of catalogue system, right? Because those things happen, usually when you move somewhere new. I had one call on my door in the town I now live in, a couple of years ago, I think. I told the women politely no, and explained them my background, very briefly. I just told them that I was raised in their religion, but that I left, I didn`t believe in it anymore. They just did the mandatory nodding and "yes, ok"-ing routine, and then they left. I would have loved it if they had sticked around a bit, and asked me some questions, I would even have let them in, but after I told them my story (even though I left at 17 and was neer baptised), they seemed to be in a real hurry to leave. After this, they`ve never been on my door, even though I have seen JWs in my street (they`re so easy to spot, I could spot them a mile away, even without the magasines under their arm or sticking out of the purse, I don`t knwo what it is, it`s almost if I can smell them). So, they do have a catalogue system, right? Anyone know exactly how that works? Do they have like a file "cabinet" at the KH or something?

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Frannie, it's amazing that you remember that.

I think I've had two random "calls" in the past nine years. No tracts in the door, nothing. They can't be serious about "covering the territory" around here. I remember that it used to be more counting time than anything. I wonder if things are different abroad. Is the witlessing work taken more seriously?

LOL, Emma! Americans are rare enough over there that the Greek community knew where all of us lived.

The jdubyas that came to my door were English-speaking, so perhaps Missionaries?

It was only 7 yrs later that I was introduced to the WTS doctrines, so that visit (since the only ones that visited us Americans were us Americans) stuck in my mind a bit.

Frannie

• Emma
    Emma

Hellrider, they have a box of little maps and people get assigned to the area on the map to preach in. They'll write down if someone is threatening or if they've asked to not have visits. I've been gone about nine or ten years so I don't know if the system has changed. I used to think it was very cool that the "society" had the whole world mapped out. Now it's kind of scary!

I'm surprised my family hasn't had someone come by - unless those two calls weren't random. Hadn't thought of that.

• Clam
    Clam

I lived in Shepherds Bush in London for years and never got a visit. Now I live in Cornwall I get visited all the time by Jdubs and Mormons. I'm surrounded by a bunch of CULTS.

• Emma
    Emma

I'll stay away from London! (not really; it's been decades since I was in London but I really enjoyed the city)

I was an earnest "preacher" and still have thid idea that the org is like it was 20 years ago. I've had enough experience to realize it isn't, though I think some individuals still are. My last cong went from coffee break to coffee break instead of door to door.

Before I left, I was quite sick for a while so I made a good call for the sisters. I used to serve them coffee and cookies even though I was the sick one! I didn't stop to think they should be bringing stuff to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit