Do You Keep Your Old JW Books?

by Clam 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Clam
    Clam

What have you done with your WTS book collection? Have you sold them, burnt them, given them away or kept them as a memento?

The only one I kept was Aid to Bible Understanding, which I still find helpful, even though there are errors, eg 607BC lol .

I do however always keep it next to Crisis of Conscience on my bookshelves as a mark of disrespect.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Not only have I kept my old books, I've even added to them! Books like the 1965 Watchtower bound volume (shows the impossibility of 607 BCE) The Finished Mystery (The Watchtower Society on acid) and Millions Now Living Will Never Die (Published in 1920, oops, I think they're all dead now) I'm still looking for the 1969 Awake! bound volume (Teenagers will never grow old in this system of things so don't go to college, Those teenagers are in their fifties now)and the 1934 Yearbook (proof that the WTS supported the Nazis) CyrusThePersian

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

I still have all of mine, minus the bound vollumes, i always thought they were a waste of paper. I had to keep them though. They are so colorfull!! Also i am not sure i could easily extract them from the thousands of books stacked in the floor of my house.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Gina and I finally threw our stuff away. We had little outside of recent publications and bound volumes, so no point in going to ebay. And anyone with a decent collection of Watchtower stuff already had anything we had.

If you're going to pitch it all, I would suggest at least hanging on to the NWT Reference Bible (the big one), a Reasoning book, a Knowledge book, the latest replacement to the Knowledge book if you've got one, the Proclaimers book, the concordance, the Insight books, and the CD.

I think if you've got that, you've got 90% of what you'd ever want to help a JW see the light.

Dave

• Rooster
    Rooster

My father was born in 1926 & was a member of the sect all of his life. He had one room of his house full of thousands of WTBTS publications. Dating back into the 1800. When he died about two years ago my brother and I rented a Dumpster and through almost all of his books into it. I took some of the watchtower bound volumes home and used them for firewood.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I have 5 or 6 in my garage...they're not allowed to come in the house

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I just kept my bible, sheepturding the flock, and kingdum interlinear, oh and the pioneer skool book.

• TD
    TD
    Dating back into the 1800. When he died about two years ago my brother and I rented a Dumpster and through almost all of his books into it.

Awwww....Gee.

Hard to believe, but there's a brisk collector's market for this stuff. The reprints alone in good condition can easily fetch 1200 to 1500 dollars. That collection was valuable.

• Rooster
    Rooster

I kept some of the older stuff. I was reading the first Kingdom Come book. Its cover is really weird. I let my cousin barrow it and he took it the kingdom hall and put into their library. I told him to get and give it back. My father had all the old brochures and a lot of them all stacked in my brother’s garage.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Clam,

Shortly after I forced the committee to DF me, (This is 1981 and there was no recognized "Disassociation" category or I would have done it that way) I boxed up my extensive library of Society literature, books, WT bound volumes, etc. and took them to the landfill. I'm sure that hundreds of years from now, some archeologist will dig my collection up, read it and write a paper about what a bunch of dumbasses there were back in the mid- twentienth century. It is interesting that you and I only kept a copy of "Aid to Bible Understanding". That book was produced by a committee that was overseen by Ray Franz, the author of "Crisis of Conscience".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit