Islamic Extremism:Begining of the End of All Religion?

by prophecor 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• prophecor
    prophecor

Here's a scenario as to how it could be played out.

In an effort to squelch radical Islam from gaining a foothold on the democratic processes that is begining to occur in the Middle East, especially as it relates to Iraq and eventually, maybe Iran, could religion, all religion come to be eventually outlawed worldwide as a means of choking out the relentless hostile energy that occurs worlwide? To try and stem the tide of suicide bombers around the world, as well as the possibility of bio-terrorism? They never did find anything during the days after September 11th with the anthrax scare that was going on around in the Washington D.C. and New York areas.

To make it a crime to have any religion on the face of the earth without worldwide government approval. One World Government. It could one day make for a peaceful world, at least for a moment. I don't find the teaching that religion will someday be turned on as it relates scripture and the last days, too far fetched. I, also, don't believe the WTB&TS have the timing correct as to its happening, either.

As bad as things are in the world today, I truly believe they have to, and will, come to be a lot worse before we see any unquestionable evidence as to prophecies coming to be fulfilled.

In an effort to have violence cease and desist around the globe, outlawing religion could bring about some really peacfull co-existence between those who are always at each others throats because of their conflicting beliefs.

And of course, you all know the rest of the story....

Yeah, I know. I've got way to much time on my hands to think this stuff up.

• FaithfulDoubter
    FaithfulDoubter

If religion was banned tommorow, I'd be doing my best to get my rear to a kingdom hall. It's lines of reasoning like this that scare me to no end. Really, this in my mind would be the critical sign that the JWs are right, and I just can't accept that right now. I think religion is far to important to too many people to be destroyed anytime soon.

• thewatchman
    thewatchman

Shall we all be enslaved to a human government/organisation that dictates whether or not we can have a faith and practice religion?

This motion is way off, and would have massive consequences if any such charter was even suggested by the UN.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I don't think that for the sake of combatting moslem extremists all religion would be banned this idea seems far fetched, right now after the collapse of communism there are no radically anti religion elements that could conceive of that policy. Democratic states can't just dispose of their constitutions so easily.

They will instead combat the moslem extremists who are really causing the problem.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I don't think the problem is only Islamic extremists. I think it is all extremism, religious-political-corporate-academic. It just so happens that islamic extremism is the most visible due to the current view of world events.

I think that to force "no religion" on any country or the world would be very bad, not only from a human rights perspective, but in the sense that that then creates a united front or polarity that is against all religion. That would then nessesitate the emergence of the opposite polarity: those for religion, or "those against 'those against religion' ".

I think that education is the best way to end extremism, education at home and school. Unfortunately, that takes alot of work and resorces from parents, teachers and governments--which will not happen until people see the need for it and take responsibility for it.

Plus, I think many people just like to fight. Nothing gets the blood pumping like a good old argument, fist fight, flame war, or combat.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    If religion was banned tommorow, I'd be doing my best to get my rear to a kingdom hall

Absolutely no reason to go back just because an old touted prophecy came true. Let's face it, they should get at least ONE thing right out of all they've spouted for more than a century!!

However, it isn't going to happen - at least not in our lifetime! Too many fundamentalists of different religions, including Christian (look at the Bible-thumping belt of the USA). Bush and Blair are confirmed Christians!

I can understand the fear of fanatical Muslims in light of recent events but they are by no means the norm. Every group seems to have its share of mentally wayward people!

I cannot see religion ever being banned! Someone will practice it somewhere, even if it means in one's own room - and that's a lot of rooms over a lot of countries.

Ian

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

he he...

okay, Marx was right when he said religion is a drug. he called it the opiate of the masses, but whatever, a drug none the less.

what happens when international authorities try to ban drugs? yup, it doesn't stop it. it goes on like before, even stronger. any efforts to ban religion, as much as i would vote for such laws, would never ever work. especially since religious people, and even people on the fence, would see it as an attack from an evil force like satan, and not just secular authorities trying to wake humanity up to the 21st century. or the 20th century for that matter.

a world with banned religion would probably be even more violent than before, LOL. (yes, i find the irony funny, not your subject matter)

TS

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

It would seem that civilised society is taking more steps to actually entrench religion in everyday society as opposed to be preparing to take actions against it.

The european perspective is evidence of this given the European Covention on Human Rights; this seeks to reinforce a persons freedom of association. Legal remedies also have been taken to prevent the incitement to cause religious hatred too which further reinforces this point.

In my opinion the WTBTS society view that religion would somehow be turned upon is preposterous given modern day events, no doubt these were possibly the notions of someone who thought it might be possible in the early 1900s...but we are a far cry away from it right now.

DB74

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

The questions you bring up are similar to the subject matter found in a book I read recently called, "End of Faith: Religion, Terror and the Future of Reason" by Sam Harris. It's a thought-provoking read and highly suggest you read this book if you are interested in this subject. I think blackuncle hit the nail on the head when he says that the problem is not religion per se, but religious extremism initiated and fueled by religious fundamentalism.

Similarly to 9/11 where relatively well educated and middle-class men thought their God requires them to kill infidels by flying commercial airplanes into buildings, Bush and his administration make many of their decisions based on what they view will fulfill Biblical prophecy, and Jehovah's Witnesses believe that their God requires them to shun their own mothers, fathers, sons and daughters who no longer belief the same way. These are examples of religious extremism/fundamentalism at different levels.

Personally I don't see religion going anywhere anytime soon, but I do hope that in our lifetime we see all the major religions step up to the plate and denounce extremism within their ranks. Additionally I hope that we will come to the point where we no longer require our President and other public officials to profess their belief in God and that we learn to keep religion out of governmenst, schools and workplaces and in Church's and private homes where it belongs.

Regards

NYCkid

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

Profuse apologies, I was referring to "darkuncle29" not black uncle...apologies.

NYCkid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit