Do JWs take Genesis literally?

by undercover 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Well you can't take the non-literal parts literally, ya see. The literal parts are definitely literal, no matter what those so-called scientists say. But the non-literal parts are open to interpretation, but remember that 'interpretations belong to God'. So we can't just interpret it anyway we like. It has to be factual, correct, literal interpretation. Mostly.

Look, are you gonna take the mags or are you just wasting my time? 'Cause I've got a whole damn street to canvas before my next coffee break!

Dave of the "wanted to do rurals anyway" class

• greendawn
    greendawn

They do take all things literally except the earthly creation days for them they are 7000 years long not 24 hours as the new earthers believe. But they say the universe was created much before the earth was prepared for human life.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i have heard of them going back and forth between 7000 years and longer periods. this is an undercurrent in the org, i think, to come in line with geology. of course their disdain for biology is still obvious regardless of how they look at the geology of the situation. and if it ever did officially change, i am sure it would be all: "hallelujah! how the light gets brighter for jehovah's people!" when in fact the rest of the world has known otherwise for a long time.

the last "talk" i heard on the subject, still had the governing body assigning talk outlines to congregations that used 7000 years.

science morons indeed.

TS

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Could it be that JWs are goofier than creationists in that they say it's literal but they make up shit along the way to explain the inconsistencies and make it fit whatever the teaching of the decade is?

Why did you pose this as a question? It sounds like a statement of FACT to me...

Look, are you gonna take the mags or are you just wasting my time? 'Cause I've got a whole damn street to canvas before my next coffee break!

Dave of the "wanted to do rurals anyway" class

I loved rural territory..Stuff six people into a good "service car" and then spend the next three hours going to the ten calls on the territory card.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

creationism is the one WTS doctrine that some ex-jws have a hard time letting go of often times, unfortunately. it's still just as goofy as an ex-jw as it was when they were a witnoid.

ts

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

JWs interpret the Bible literally when it helps with their particular doctrine. Think about this:

Is it unholy or anti-Christian to view the Genesis account as symbolic? Mabye recounting events differantly that what actually happened (if you believe it happened).

The WT will have you believe that to accept it any other way than literal is wrong. But remember that to interpret it lieterally helps with their doctrine. To interpret it symoblically does not.

We need to make up our own minds, and not follow peoples agendas.

• Muffinman
    Muffinman

The Genesis account is just too silly to be taken literally. Sadly some people won't give it up. By the way, our last public talk was about the flood. The speaker went to great lengths to prove how a water canopy existed outside the atmosphere (Thus allowing for a warmer climate), how the poles were created by the frozen water after the flood, how all continents were united before the flood, that the flood caused the continents to move to their modern position (While creating all mountains in the process), and that the poles froze because "without the protective water layer, all the cold from space was sucked down like in a vacuum" (His words). Please. He also mentioned how only 40 "species" of mammals had to be on the ark to produce all the ones today. I guess they do believe in evolution after all.

• sinis
    sinis
    The Genesis account is just too silly to be taken literally. Sadly some people won't give it up. By the way, our last public talk was about the flood. The speaker went to great lengths to prove how a water canopy existed outside the atmosphere (Thus allowing for a warmer climate), how the poles were created by the frozen water after the flood, how all continents were united before the flood, that the flood caused the continents to move to their modern position (While creating all mountains in the process), and that the poles froze because "without the protective water layer, all the cold from space was sucked down like in a vacuum" (His words). Please. He also mentioned how only 40 "species" of mammals had to be on the ark to produce all the ones today. I guess they do believe in evolution after all.

Next time you see him ask him where all the water went. If the flood was global, which it was not, then that would account for 5 times MORE water than the earth currently has - where did it go? Also, the thermodynamics of that much water falling would not cool the earth but superheat it, killing everything, including Noah. Then you have the tectonic plate theory they speak of - water and hydraulic effect making moutains and valleys. Ask him if he realizes that that much force on the plates would produce tsunamies the world had never seen as well as affect the core of the planet. He may come back and say god did this by mean of miracles. Yet why would god alter many things by means of miracles when he could have just executed the wrong doers. Ask him to do a little research on the Hebrew word for "earth" - he will find out rather quickly that the term used is not the literal earth but rather "land". So a local flood theory makes more, complete sense.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    "without the protective water layer, all the cold from space was sucked down like in a vacuum" (His words).

OMG! Such herculean ignorance, I do hope he got tremendous applause afterwards...

Dave

• StevenJ
    StevenJ

Here is some good info on Genesis http://www.drdino.com/articles.php

This guy offers $250,000 for anyone that can disprove the Genisis account. So I guess you can make some money if you can prove it wrong. He also offers to debate in public any evolutionist. He even has some debates on DVD with professors at colleges. I've seen some of his materials. He has some convinceing evidence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit