Do you brag?

by sandy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• sandy
    sandy

I find this to be one of the most unattractive traits a person can have.

I mean sure we all get excited when something good happens to us or someone we love and we want to share it with others. But I hate it when people try to glorify themselves.

My mom was doing this tonight. She always brags about her kids. I hate when I hear her doing this. It's not a healthy pride, it is so arrogant.

My father brags but in a different way. He does it because he is truly proud of his kids at times. It seems my mom does it to make herself look good.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I don't think I brag.. not that I am aware of any way.

HI Sandy!

• PoliticallyNeutered2
    PoliticallyNeutered2

I never brag! I only modestly inform people of the obvious fact that I'm better than they are! (Just joking. :P)

Seriously, the book "How to be funny" by Jon Macks shows that one technique of self-deprecating humor is to pretend to build yourself up, then suddenly tear yourself down in your own speech. The first part involves what seems like bragging for a few seconds until the second part is revealed.

For instance, when they published an "Awake!" with an article on memory techniques a few years ago, the CO was in town and asked for interesting points in the magazine on Saturday morning. I referred to the article, and arrogantly asserted that I had already been using many of these techniques, and they work! ... (sheepishly ->) ... except [that] I forget to use them... Somehow, many people cracked up. :P

• prophecor
    prophecor

Nope

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Never.. not once have I EVER bragged. In fact I'm so good at not bragging that people watch in absolute amazement.

I'm also the most humble person you will EVER meet.

• joelbear
    joelbear

i am very proud of the fact that i do not brag, i think this fact makes me great

• trevor
    trevor

I BRAG - but in a quiet, subtle sneaky sort of way, that comes across as charisma.

• sandy
    sandy

Bunch of "wise guys"! You guys are funny.

Hi Sassy. I must say even though we've really only hung out a few times, I know you do not brag. You are very sweet and down to earth.

PoliticallyN2 That was very funny.

• PoliticallyNeutered2
    PoliticallyNeutered2

From sandy: "PoliticallyN2 That was very funny."

Thanks. :)

• prophecor
    prophecor

I BRAG - but in a quiet, subtle sneaky sort of way, that comes across as charisma.

Is that what I've been doing all this time?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit