fading promises

by candidlynuts 23 Replies latest members private

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Hi, Candidly. I missed you.

Yes... I just got some tragic news about my parents. Much of it is due to having not saved, not gotten an education, not keeeping good family ties due to shunning, letting people take advantage of them over the years and figure Jehovah will make it up to them, and just refusing to admit it's all a crock and leave while they still had time.

Time to travel, see their family, take care of their parents, and enjoy the fruits of their decades of labor. Dad has worked like a dog his entire life, since he was just 12 years old. Dad is pushing 90 with mom 10 years behind, and they never got to do the things they wanted to do, and are living in terrible circumstances now because of this cult.

I so feel for you. I see what you are talking about in my own parents.

Jean

• juni
    juni

Hi Candi,

I understand how you feel as do most of us here. You are absolutely right about the different times of the end. Come and gone.

Gary expressed it all very good. He has a way with words that I don't have. The witness religion does make you feel "comfortable" in that it appeals to human desire to live on and your life is pretty much planned out for you so it does eliminate for the most part our responsibility to make certain choices.

Throw in there the perk of "brotherly love" and wham! What a recipe for an appealing life. But then reality hits. For me, learning about the lies and hypocrisy (i.e. UN, etc.) hit me hard. After talking w/my friend who is attending still to stir up the pot and keep contact w/some good friends, nothing has changed - only has got worse.

Take care and I wish you the best. Juni~~~~~~~~~

• garybuss
    garybuss

I think the way I missed the promises trap was that I didn't think I measured up to the minimum standard for not being murdered by Jesus. So, I was expecting to die any day, even when I was a Witness kid sitting on hard wooden chairs in a drafty old store front Kingdom Hall listening to Martin Anderson rant and rave at 10 o'clock at night on a school night.
    My brother set all his life on a back burner and waited for Armageddon. He did have children unlike many promise type Witnesses. He deferred solving his problems, he deferred reporting crimes committed on his family, he deferred pleasure and he deferred success.
    He suffered terrible abuse by the Witness people. I've noticed that some of the people who were abused the worst as children are the most loyal to the Witness group as adults. Sick and defective, but loyal. So I guess that abuse did work.

• Sentient
    Sentient

You're absolutely right Gary, it is this who were the most abused as children who are the most loyal...their fears and hurt are the greatest. Those who feel the least secure in themselves feel the greatest need for external certainty. I speak from my own experience and what I have observed in others in my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit