Another statistics

by Shazard 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hello yaddayadda,

Thank you for your arguments. Unfortunately, they don't hold much weight for me. I'll start from the bottom up, since the last one is the most obviously false.

The article claims that without God, there is no basis for morality. However, since all humans have some code of ethics, then clearly there is a God. The assertion that there would be no morality if not supplied by God is just an arbitrary declaration, and a weak one at that. There are many reasons for morality to exist without requiring a Creator. Have you ever heard of secular ethics? For example, from a secular point of view, stealing is wrong not because a man in the sky said not to do it, but because as a society, we recognize the importance of property rights and security. By consensus, we accept a ban on stealing because we want to live in a society where our personal property is safe. If you consider any point of morality, you will see that there are real-world reasons for it. The fact that most people don't kill each other doesn't prove God - it just proves that we want to live in societies where we and our families are relatively safe.

The other two arguments are pretty much two sides of the same coin. In one, the argument is that all things have causes, there must be a God. The second says that since all things have beginnings, there must be a God. Of course, the major hole in these arguments is that the premise is clearly not true if the conclusion is true. For example, if you say that all things have causes, but you say that God did not have a cause, then you have admitted that not all things have causes. To put it another way, if God can exist without someone higher up, why can't the universe?

Personally, I think it's plausible that the universe was caused by extra-universal factors. Those factors could be anything - a nice old man with a white beard, a group of science-club students, or some universal computer program. Unfortunately, being outside of the universe, these factors are not possible for us to observe, so it is not possible for us to learn anything about them or make any kind of definitive statements about them. So, as I said before, there are a zillion possibilities, but I'm not going to believe something just because it's conceivable. There is no evidence, so I must remain in non-belief.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit