Comments You Will Not Hear At the 1-8-06 WT Study (Languages)

by blondie 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Your analysis and points are spot on, as always. I always read them, even though I don't often comment. :)

But the article itself seemed even more painfully boring than most WT articles. The whole pathetic thing could be summarized in three sentences: Prophecy said the word about Jesus would be spread in diverse languages. We preach in many languages. Therefore, prophecy has come true -- now go preach more.

And yet, they take how many pages to say that? To buttress it with useless filler? Yeah. It's a diverse world. Every religion, if they want to expand, has to tailor its message to the tongue of the target audience. But so does Pepsi-Cola. So does McDonald's. Yay globalism, we're using more than one language. What's so damn special about it, oh Watchtower?

Seriously, there is no way I could sit through a meeting like that and just smile and nod.

... But despite the boring article, your commentary is brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

SLM

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

A study that is definitely "in house", this week. Nobody outside would find it interesting except as an insight as to how they think . I wonder how many dubs themselves are enthusiastic, except pioneers who can get in easy hours learning a language and travelling to these ones.

I think of the elders wife who described her African neighbours, using the dreaded N word and it was definitely in a derogatory sense , not an ignorance of its import. Others that I know close enough to hear their frank comments, have shared Blondie's thoughts about illegal immigrants being welcomed for baptism.

It is obvious that the emphasis is switching from the locals who have shown disdain , to the ripe 'fields' of lesser educated immigrants who may be lonely, hospitable and delighted to read anything in their own language. They also have not ,possibly , got internet access so they are more likely to be "teachable"... A good marketing move which is acccommodated by the dumbing down of the books.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I remember the 10 men grabbing onto the skirts of the Jew scripture scripture being presented to me when I was first studying with the JW, as proof of the annointed class and the great crowd. Before I was converted to being a JW and my mind was still in questioning mode I wondered how they could take an obscure scripture like this and figure that meaning into it. So, I did question and when I did the answers to my questions were given other answers of obscurtiy, but with with the conviction of the already converted. After awhile I learned that those who question are not acceptable and viewed as fools, so I stopped questioning in order that I would appear wise and be acceptable too. This is when I became a fool.

.Gary: .the purpose of the JW is to minister about the ministy.

Exactly, this is the only way the WT can continue to perpetuate itself--new recruits to make new recruits..

And , we all know the way to salvation is to distribute WT literature. I wonder what would happen to a JW who used only their bible when preaching and teaching? Would they be reprimanded for this? I would like to see what would happen if this was the case. Anyone out there on their way out of the Org, but still involved who wants to try this? I think the results could be note-worthy.

Thanks blondie--you are doing a good work,

cybs

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

BluesBrother: "I think of the elders wife who described her African neighbours, using the dreaded N word and it was definitely in a derogatory sense , not an ignorance of its import."

And yet, I'm not surprised. I went to a wedding shower over the summer with these fanatical pioneer sisters in my hall (hey, I was bored and I wanted free food) and we were the only black people there. (Everyone else was predominately Spanish)

Surprise! Surprise! The brother seated at our tables called us the "N" word in his native tongue but he forgot that one of the sisters I was with was fluent in Spanish.

Of course, she said nothing to him about his ingnorance, but both girls were really hurt more at the fact that even one of "Jehovah's people' could say such a thing. It was all a rude wake up call to them about the reality if 'Jehovah's' so-called people.

I wasn't surprised though. But I was so angry we ended up leaving.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Dear Blondie,

Gosh you are the best! (But I guess you know that already) Your comments really helped this week during that long drawn out wt study about something that seems so elementary. Big deal? Globalizing the "kingdom message?" Just like that comment that was made about how it been done already (with coca cola and mcd's)

But anyways I remember you mentioning a statement based on par. 16 about the so called unselfishness amongst the congregations when it comes to showing love to our fellow brothers who share the same hall as us who are foreigners?

Well, I share a hall where we have a french-speaking congregation. Rotation came up this year but of course but lo and behold-the french were not part of the roatation. And during the Dedication of the Kingdom Hall? (It was recently built) Since all 6 congregations were due to be there, they only passed out invitations to a select number of individuals (mostly pioneers, ms, etc) So I have no idea why I got one ) Of course in the french hall only 10 people, ten out of the entire congregation were included.

Coincidence? I think not.

P.S I remeber you mentioning in a previous post that the WT believe that the Bible being available in all languages, and being dist. worldwide is not proof that the good news is being preached? Is that what the overall "worldly" teaching is? So in other words, the WT teaches it the WT that is proof of this? Any links would be helpful.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    This international expansion was foretold centuries earlier. According to

Daniel's prophecy, "there were given [to Jesus] rulership and dignity and

kingdom, that the peoples, national groups and languages should all serve even

him." (Daniel 7:14) The fact that this magazine is published in 151 languages

and distributed worldwide, enabling you to read about Jehovah's Kingdom,

reflects the fulfillment of that Bible prophecy.

Isn't it just amazing though? Of all the reams of information written regarding the book of Daniel, when it was written, who wrote it and the origins of the loan words there, ALL the WT can write is:

"WE FULFILLED DANIEL'S PROPHECY!"

They make me want to lose my lunch. The greed, transparent motives in this article are anathema to a thinking christian.

THANKS to the venerable Blondie, who sifts through the weekly effluent for our benefit.

HAIL to Blondie.

P

• heathen
    heathen
    This international expansion was foretold centuries earlier. According to

Daniel's prophecy, "there were given [to Jesus] rulership and dignity and

kingdom, that the peoples, national groups and languages should all serve even

him."

well ok fine let's leave it at that .The problem with the WTBTS is they replaced jesus so that serving them is the same as serving jesus . They are even making life or death decisions over the blood doctrine , the bottom line is that they are not jesus and have no right to condemn anybody.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit