convention freaky memories

by joelbear 37 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

oh man, i so remember that heart brain thing, it was from 1968 International convention. i was at the one in atlanta that lasted for 8 days. my mom took me to 6 flags over georgia the day after the convention, ultracool.

i remember counting tiles, light fixtures, empty seats, potted plants

and doing anagrams with the assembly theme name.

i remember one time i slept all the way through the main talk, that was such a blessing.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Joel and all you other hilarious posters:

This probably belongs in that other thread about the stupidest things somebody said, but the heart brain deal made me remember it:

I remember walking up to the guy that did this talk at the assembly and saying that I did not think the heart really drives thought processes. I felt like it was just a symbolic way of expressing emotional thought.

He replied that he knew the heart is involved in thought, because his HEART GOT BEATING FASTER when he got it on with his old lady!!! I kid you not - and I was an unmarried kid under 21!

But, this was at the assembly right after the heart brain session - so maybe its still on topic here. Wonder if they still try to teach this BS?

• neverin
    neverin

sneaked at look of some of my elder dad's paperwork last year. loved the note for brothers to be aware of health and safety as the previous year the brother wearing the sandwich board reminding people to wear sun screen/hats etc had to be treated for heat stroke lol.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Being in charge of a literature release station, and therefore getting to hold the precious "new" publications before the rest of you.

Cheese Danishes.

Egg and Ham muffins. (Man I miss those).

Dying to get back to the hotel and take a swim.

Cruising the hallways for babes.

Sitting on the top row and sleeping.

Remember the release of the new Young People Ask book, and how all the young people had to sit together for the afternoon session? You didn't have to use binoculors to check out babes, they where sitting two rows down......sweet!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

"He replied that he knew the heart is involved in thought, because his HEART GOT BEATING FASTER when he got it on with his old lady!!!"

Well, that makes perfect sense, because obviously as you reach the peak of sex, you really get to thinking, and so your heart beats faster. That explains why there are so many heart attacks while writing exams.

• luna2
    luna2
    He replied that he knew the heart is involved in thought, because his HEART GOT BEATING FASTER when he got it on with his old lady!!!

Okay, now I'm laughing out loud like a lunatic. Good thing my office is empty for a change and nobody is near my open door!! This stuff is priceless!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I remember the bench style home made plywood 'toilets'. they were a long wooden trough (maybe 30'), covered by a plywood board with a hole cut in each 'dump spot' and a curtain in between each hole. A ten gallon tip bucket was located at the elevated end of the trough that would slowly fill up with water and then tip into the trough, washing all the 'used hoagies' down to the low end and into the open sewer drain.

You had to time it so that you could sit down, do your business quickly and then exit the 'stall' before the bucket dumped or you'd get yer bum 'wet'. This was especially important if you were in a 'stall' on the lower end of the trough.

J

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    I remember the bench style home made plywood 'toilets'. they were a long wooden trough (maybe 30'), covered by a plywood board with a hole cut in each 'dump spot' and a curtain in between each hole. A ten gallon tip bucket was located at the elevated end of the trough that would slowly fill up with water and then tip into the trough, washing all the 'used hoagies' down to the low end and into the open sewer drain.

You had to time it so that you could sit down, do your business quickly and then exit the 'stall' before the bucket dumped or you'd get yer bum 'wet'. This was especially important if you were in a 'stall' on the lower end of the trough.

J

OH MY FREAKIN' GOD!!! That is the nastiest thing I have ever heard!!!!!!! BB

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I remember my parents sending me and my brother to bolt for the food lines the second the song was over.

Feeling sick mid afternoon from those yummy subs at lunch

Waiting for the new releases in long lines that everybody butted in in front of you - oh sorry were you waiting in line???

Fighting my way through the crowds to get the heck out of there

Trying really hard not to fall asleep, when my mother was sleeping beside me - she'd wake up and want to see the notes I've taken

Checking out everybody else with the binoculars

Wanting to sit with friends, but there was just a talk about kids sitting with their parents

Getting soaked in the rain, sunburned the first day and being in pain for the other 3 days

Watching the planes and the horses training at Woodbine Race Track

I could go on and on

BB

• LDH
    LDH

The mad rush to purchase all of the spiritual plants at the end of every assembly. LOL!

Getting busted picking my nose when I was 9. A family who was 'spiritually weak' had sons our age and unbeknownst to me, the dudes were checking us out from the top row with binoculars. They made fun of me to my older sister who slugged me for making her look uncool by association. LOL!

Plastic aprons.

Working food service. Getting to go down to the food service area 1/2 hour before the talk ended.

Falling asleep during the afternoon session because you'd just been bumrushed by 5,000+ people all wanting a rotting fruit bag, dammit!

Buying food tickets. Counting food tickets. OK, this was before the donation arrangement.

Watching all the short dudes click around the floor in their high heel cowboy boots. I think this was an eighties fad.

Thanks for the memories Joel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit