Does anyone else here fly?

by james_woods 15 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

OK, so maybe I should have put the word AIRPLANE in the subject line...

I got my license back in Jdub days- 1967-1969 (I was 18-20 then). And yes, I got a little talking to from the Congregation Servant over it. (this was before elders). Again I used the excuse that my grandfather was not a witness and he wanted me to do it as an educational experience. (same way I got through college).

I would say I have flown pretty much 75% of everything in the single engine world, including some pretty interesting sports and aerobatic ships. I used to own a Bellanca Citabria for about 5 years.

Reluctantly decided to give it up recently because blood pressure and eyesight are not quite what they used to be...

but, taildraggers with control sticks forever!

• G Money
    G Money

I took lessons a year or two ago. Take off is easy but landing with cross winds is downright scary! It is a good skill to have and I hope to one day resume my lessons as it is a quick and easy way to get around.

• xjwms
    xjwms

Only as a passenger

on a big plane

I like Midwest Airlines.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Hi James, I've never actually learnt to fly but I've always been mad keen on aeroplanes. I've covered lots of events as a photographer and had a stint as a reporter for NZ aviation news. Modelling is a hobby I've returned to more recently.

I think there must be a few aviation fans here because I've seen avatars with a P-38,P-51,F-117 and a Dauntless or Devastator. I love the older cabin monoplanes too and classic airliners. Cheers,Pete.

• barry
    barry

I used to have a licience to fly aerocraft and have flown cessna 172, austers [that are started by hand] piper cherokees.

I started flying with gliders and I still own a glider its a cherokee 2

Now i fly model planes and just this morning Ive been flying my one third pitts special with a 50cc motor. Barry

• mustang
    mustang

ASEL, here; Not current nor a plane owner any more.

My last flight was in Asia; I rented a plane and got some "dual instruction". This cut the international and "currency" red tape to zilch: just throw money at it. My instructor was an Air Force pilot and we flew out of an Army base. I had to leave my passport at the main gate of the post.

I'm looking to do some more such trips to get different countries in my log book.

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit